All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bagels!
      #121434 - 11/13/04 06:04 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ok, so I'm a little nutty... I was awake at 4:30 this morning, just couldn't sleep, so I decided to go downstairs and make bagels from scratch. C'mon - isn't that what EVERYONE does when they can't sleep?! LOL

These came out SO GOOD... I used this recipe from fatfree.com, with no modifications. It seems like a lot of work, but it was actually fun! (Told you I was a nut!)

4 1/2 cups flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water -- 110-115 F
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

In mixer bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour and the yeast. Combine warm water, 3 Tbls. sugar and the salt. Pour over flour mixture. Beat at low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes on high speed.

Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Continue kneading until smooth and elastic, 6 - 8 minutes. Cover; let dough rest 10-15 minutes.

Cut into 12 portions; shape into smooth balls. Punch a hole in the center of each with a floured finger. Pull gently to enlarge hole to 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise 20 minutes.

Broil 5 inches from heat for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side. Tops should not brown.

Heat 1 gallon water and 1 tablespoon sugar to boiling; reduce heat. Cook bagels, 4 or 5 at a time, for 7 minutes, turning once. Drain.

Place on greased baking sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven 25 - 30 minutes.

Oh yeah, and I apologize if this has been posted, but I did look in the index, and all I saw was a different bagel recipe, starting from bread-machine dough. I know that one's less work, but this one is more fun. Honest.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bagels! new
      #121436 - 11/13/04 06:28 AM

Unregistered

Those look fantastic! Do they taste just as good as they look?? Good job!

I must be a nut too!! new
      #121445 - 11/13/04 07:22 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey casey,
If you're a nut then Im just as crazy as you too! Ive actually been known to come in from a night of clubbing with my friends and make antidepressant brownies or banana bread from scratch at around 3 or 4 in the morning!LOL! Come to think of it I did that 2 days ago when we went out (im at uni) and I made cookies when we got in at 3.30! We should call ourselves the midnight bakers!!LOL! Maybe I should try those bagels next time....they look so yummy!!

--------------------
Natalie

#121453 - 11/13/04 07:42 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yum! If you're a nut, I want to be one too! Those look so tasty.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#121461 - 11/13/04 07:55 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Mmmmmmmmm...can you slice one up and toast it for me?

Thanks everyone! new
      #121467 - 11/13/04 08:38 AM
atomic rose

And yes, they do taste as good as they look. For such a simple recipe ingredients-wise, they are seriously the best bagels I've ever had.

I just have to get a little more practice on the shaping thing... Adam's been teasing me because they're little and fat and have no hole in the middle. LOL!

I'm Impressed-- Wow! new
      #121487 - 11/13/04 11:36 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Your bagels look so good! I like to cook/bake, so I don't think you're nuts. I've never tried bagels-- maybe that's something I'll try over the Thanksgiving holiday.

#121489 - 11/13/04 11:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

they look wonderful.. its the only way I know to make bagels- boiled and then baked! otherwise they aren't the same...

I have to try this recipe.. and heh- I'm an erly bird baker.. I'll get up and start baking and stuff when I can't sleep at 4 AM... all the time.. I get up that early regularly.. always have...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#121493 - 11/13/04 12:14 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

You are a domestic goddess! Those look great!

--------------------
*Emma*

#121563 - 11/13/04 06:50 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

actually, when i can't sleep i get up and do my physics homework. It either puts me to sleep (I hate physics) or i'm actually able to accomplish something since even the party girls in my dorm tend to be asleep at four in the morning. Maybe the next time i can't sleep, i'll give baking a try, cause at the very least i'd have some tasty food

Meg

Wow! Awesome! new
      #121576 - 11/13/04 08:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am so impressed. I had a recipe for a long time but never had the nerve to try it. Yours look great!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#124361 - 11/21/04 02:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Casey - I love the pic of your bagels, they're so cute! LOL Personally, I'm WAY too lazy to try these normally, but it looks like something fun to do with my little sister.

And, maybe you're not so nuts afterall. Maybe you were meant to be a baker. When I worked at a bakery, they used to bake all night long to have baked goods fresh for the morning ya know.

Funny you should mention that... new
      #124382 - 11/21/04 02:46 PM
atomic rose

I'm seriously considering a bakery/coffee shop/cafe venture, possibly with my father, if he ends up moving up here. I just have to do the research and see if it's something that would actually work in this area.

The bagel thing wasn't *totally* a whim, really... we didn't have any money for groceries that week, so I couldn't buy bagels. Poverty is a pretty good motivator. LOL! I haven't made any since. But they WERE fun to make - you and your sister would have fun with 'em.

#124423 - 11/21/04 04:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Casey - I did a wonderful variation on the regular bagel. I made a vegetable bagel with dehydrated veggy and spinach bits. They turned out wicked. If you want the recipe, I'll post it for you. I found it was a great way to incorporate some veggies into my diet.
With flavoured soy cream cheese - yum! Ooh, I've got recipes for flavoured cream cheeses too!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Yes! new
      #124443 - 11/21/04 05:05 PM
atomic rose

I'll take any recipes you feel like posting. Sounds wonderful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8526

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review