All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
I'm Hosting & Making My Very First Turkey For Thanksgiving, Any Tips?
      #120527 - 11/10/04 09:52 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm VERY excited about this.... the number of people coming has dropped this year from 12 to 6 total due to the growing number of in-laws that have their own gathering. I have been asked to host (My Mom's side of the family) at my place this year so Mom can have a break and then we will do Christmas over there.

So, this is my very first time to make a turkey....anyone have any tips or family secrets they would like to share?

I will go to www.butterball.com and see what they have to say.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't know if this is an option where you are, but... new
      #120532 - 11/10/04 09:58 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The absolute BEST turkey I've ever had, hands-down, no questions about it, was a free-range turkey purchased from a small privately-owned farm. You wouldn't think such a thing would make a difference in the flavor, but oh my goodness, it definitely did. That turkey was *so* flavorful and juicy, and all the hostess did was bake it, basically - no stuffing inside it, no heavy herbs, nothing fancy.

I don't really have any tips otherwise... I always just bake my turkeys, never stuffed, and they come out really good. I'm just excited for ya! I love Thanksgiving, but I like playing hostess even more!

Re: I'm Hosting & Making My Very First Turkey For Thanksgiving, Any Tips? new
      #120543 - 11/10/04 10:13 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Be sure to read the label on the Butterball...know it has milk as one of its ingredients. Even though its called "butterball" not sure it has butter - but does have soy....

My first Thanksgiving I hosted - everyone was scared to come. It turned out great! I suprised them all! Good Luck! Anne

#120553 - 11/10/04 10:32 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

My mom taught me to stuff the cavity of the bird with stuffing, and then do something extra. We make a pocket between the skin and the meat of the bird. You don't want to remove the skin, just shove your hand way in and make a pocket as far back as you can. When you get it nice and roomy, fill it with stuffing. Do this all over, wherever you can get between the skin and the meat. We season all over the outside of the bird, put apples and veggies and stuff all around, pretty typical, and we put several strips of bacon (bad, i know) across the top of the bird, and hold them in place with toothpicks. So yummy.
Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: I don't know if this is an option where you are, but... new
      #120557 - 11/10/04 10:36 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I agree casey. If you can get a fresh, free range one they are superior. Most places that carry them request you put your order in early though...

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years.

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking.

--------------------

#120562 - 11/10/04 10:41 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

The absolute BEST turkey I've ever had, hands-down, no questions about it, was a free-range turkey purchased from a small privately-owned farm. You wouldn't think such a thing would make a difference in the flavor, but oh my goodness, it definitely did. That turkey was *so* flavorful and juicy, I'm droolin all over my keyboard here!! LOL Thanks for the tips! and all the hostess did was bake it, basically - no stuffing inside it, no heavy herbs, nothing fancy.

I don't really have any tips otherwise... I always just bake my turkeys, never stuffed, and they come out really good. I'm just excited for ya! I love Thanksgiving, but I like playing hostess even more! Oh gosh...me too!!

--------------------

#120564 - 11/10/04 10:44 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Be sure to read the label on the Butterball...know it has milk as one of its ingredients. Even though its called "butterball" not sure it has butter - but does have soy.... THANKS!! I don't know what brand I will get yet....some years my Boss has given me a turkey but I'm not sure he will, so I will order fresh and then Mom can put the one from my boss if I get one, in her freezer. I just knew that they had a good website. But thanks for the warning!

My first Thanksgiving I hosted - everyone was scared to come. It turned out great! I suprised them all! I wanna do the same.... Shane is already hidding under the table in fear of my stress level... hehehe Good Luck! Thanks! Anne

--------------------

#120568 - 11/10/04 10:46 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

My mom taught me to stuff the cavity of the bird with stuffing, and then do something extra. We make a pocket between the skin and the meat of the bird. You don't want to remove the skin, just shove your hand way in and make a pocket as far back as you can. When you get it nice and roomy, fill it with stuffing. Do this all over, wherever you can get between the skin and the meat. Interesting.... I'll have to tall my Mom about that. We season all over the outside of the bird, put apples and veggies and stuff all around, pretty typical, See Mom has never done that....she stuffs the bird but that is all...and uses butter on the outside. and we put several strips of bacon (bad, i know) across the top of the bird, and hold them in place with toothpicks. My girlfriend does that... So yummy.
Hope this helps. It does...thanks! Enjoy.
Panda

--------------------

#120570 - 11/10/04 10:48 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I agree casey. If you can get a fresh, free range one they are superior. Most places that carry them request you put your order in early though... Can I do this at like a Safeway or do I need to go to the HFS?

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years. Yes, that is the only way I've ever seen.... and besides getting it all out before carving is always such a pain in the butt!!

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking. Question: Do you cut the apple & onion up like in half or just throw it in there whole?

--------------------

onion/apple/lemon in bird... new
      #120582 - 11/10/04 10:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

lets see.. depending on what else is being done to season the bird or go on it or with it- mom and I have used: onions, apples, lemons and oranges inside the bird, always cut in half.. actually withteh citrus we squeezed it first- gently, and put most of the liquid over the bird, with the fruit inside...

my all time favorite for any poultry: sage leaves under the skin, garlic and black pepper on the surface of the skin, and onion and lemon in it.. lemon juice over the top... YUM! simple, and tastes great with just about anything!

this year Bill is smoking the bird- just hickory flavor..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review