--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm Hosting & Making My Very First Turkey For Thanksgiving, Any Tips? new
      #120648 - 11/10/04 12:43 PM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

one last thing...don't forget to have a large pot to make the turkey soup! Keep some of the water from any fresh veggies you may cook - it will give the broth some good flavor. Anne

Re: I'm Hosting & Making My Very First Turkey For Thanksgiving, Any Tips? new
      #120650 - 11/10/04 12:45 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

one last thing...don't forget to have a large pot to make the turkey soup! Keep some of the water from any fresh veggies you may cook - it will give the broth some good flavor. Anne

Oh yes... good point! I love making homemade chicken noodle....so it would work just as well with turkey. Thanks!

--------------------

poultry in oven... new
      #120726 - 11/10/04 04:10 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

one side note- I have a huge stoneware roaster.. (actually 3 of them- 1 huge, one in between and one cornish game hen sized) and when I'm roasting poultry in the oven I normally put liquid in the bottom (even if its just chicken broth) raise the bird up on veggies or a rack, and put the lid on until the last 40 minutes or so... still browns, but OH SO JUICY! taught my mom that trick too... and gave her one of the big roasters- she uses it all the time now!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Apples and things inside the turkey new
      #120727 - 11/10/04 04:15 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

No I haven't, but I have used regular stuffing in the turkey. I'm sure it would turn out wonderfully with the fruits and veggies inside it. Something I think I might try this year... thanks Khyricat!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: I don't know if this is an option where you are, but... new
      #120781 - 11/10/04 09:04 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Quote:

I agree casey. If you can get a fresh, free range one they are superior. Most places that carry them request you put your order in early though... Can I do this at like a Safeway or do I need to go to the HFS?

Looks like you've got the fresh bird ordered and so we know it will taste good!!

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years. Yes, that is the only way I've ever seen.... and besides getting it all out before carving is always such a pain in the butt!! No kidding.

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking. Question: Do you cut the apple & onion up like in half or just throw it in there whole? Cut up, like in fourths.

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page

I think his turkey recipe is near the bottom of the list.

I too have a roaster but not a stone one. It's something like 50 years old and makes an extremely tender turkey, but I'd think the Reynolds bags would be a great alternative, and sure makes for easy clean up....Oh yeah Shell...how are you on making gravy? It's a must you know.

--------------------

#120802 - 11/10/04 10:12 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree casey. If you can get a fresh, free range one they are superior. Most places that carry them request you put your order in early though... Can I do this at like a Safeway or do I need to go to the HFS?

Looks like you've got the fresh bird ordered and so we know it will taste good!!

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years. Yes, that is the only way I've ever seen.... and besides getting it all out before carving is always such a pain in the butt!! No kidding.

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking. Question: Do you cut the apple & onion up like in half or just throw it in there whole? Cut up, like in fourths.

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page Yes, I watched him do this last year. I just figured I don't have that kind of room in my fridge to bother with it..lol

I too have a roaster but not a stone one. It's something like 50 years old and makes an extremely tender turkey, but I'd think the Reynolds bags would be a great alternative, and sure makes for easy clean up....Oh yeah Shell...how are you on making gravy? It's a must you know.

--------------------

#120804 - 11/10/04 11:27 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page Yes, I watched him do this last year. I just figured I don't have that kind of room in my fridge to bother with it..lol Good point. I didn't think of that...I'd have to use an ice chest, which I've done in the past to thaw a frozen turkey in cold water. It works great. Figured I could do the same for the brine soaking.

--------------------

#120955 - 11/11/04 09:17 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page Yes, I watched him do this last year. I just figured I don't have that kind of room in my fridge to bother with it..lol Good point. I didn't think of that...I'd have to use an ice chest, which I've done in the past to thaw a frozen turkey in cold water. It works great. Figured I could do the same for the brine soaking.

I have two, I'm not sure which one I will make...YES, THEY ARE NO NO'S but like you said, they are a must! LOL

Turkey Gravy without Pan Drippings

Yield: 3 cups
Ingredients

6 tablespoons margarine or butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth

Directions:
In medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat, stir in flour. Heat and stir until light brown.
Remove from heat. Gradually blend in chicken broth until smooth.
Return saucepan to heat, increasing heat to medium high. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired

OR

Turkey Gravy with Pan Drippings

Yield: 16 servings
Ingredients

1/4 cup turkey pan drippings
3 3/4 cups chicken broth, or milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Turkey giblets, optional

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, add pan drippings.
Blend 1/2 cup flour into pan drippings in pan. Graually blend in broth until smooth. Bring to a boil stir and simmer about 5 minutes. Add finely chopped cooked giblets, if desired.
Note: May substitute the flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch, if desired.

--------------------

similar to me- here is the scoop new
      #121077 - 11/11/04 02:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

An article from Cuisine magazine changed my turkey life a couple years ago. I was an experienced cook before but this recipe/info blew the former ways out of the water. I think this will be lenghty but trust me! First I have had success with regular store turkeys, make sure it is well-defrosted and washed out. Reserve giblets and salt and pepper the turkey and put the onions, garlic cloves and lemon in the cavity along with parsley, sage, rsoemary and thyme all fresh if at all possible. Put on rack in large pan and cook at 325. Do not baste- it does absolutely no good and only makes it take longer to cook. This magazine knows its stuff, trust me. A little soy sauce on the skin is okay though. I also put some broth on the bottom of the pan to keep from burning at the beginning. I use a probe thermometer but check with another and move and check it several times. I cover some of the turkey with foil if needed too. I take out the turkey when it reads 173-175 in the thigh and cover with foil and let sit 20 min. Warm the platter in the meantime.

Gravy: I am going to tell you how to make it fatty and good and skinny and pretty good too. This recipe is the best in the world no kidding. Saute some chopped veg, (carrots, onion, celery and garlic) with the turkey neck for 15 minutes. Deglaze pan with 1/2c apple juice. Add 8c. broth and herbs and peppercorns. Simmer while turkey cooks. Strain and set aside. You can make a lot less to by adding less stock. This is a huge recipe.
When turkey is done let the drippings sit for 5 minutes then pour carefully into a heavy duty pplastic bag or gravy separator. Deglaze the pan with 1c. white wine. Add the strained gravy base and stir then wait for the fat to rise to the top of the drippings and cut a corner off the bag and release the drippings into the pan- pull up before you get to the fat. It is not as hard as it sounds. Now heat it all up and this is where it can be fatty or not. For fatty earlier cook melted butter and/or the turkey fat from the plastic bag to equal 1/2c. whisk in 1/2-2/3c. flour and stir until it cooks some. Add this with whisk a little bit at a time to gravy to thicken. OR just mix some cold broth with a lot of cornstarch -like 1/2c and stir until thickened. YUM!
But the most important thing is carving the turkey. After it sits for 20 min and you made the gravy. Place the turkey on a cutting board that is big enough and open the legs. Get a very sharp carving knife and pull out the thigh and cut in there at the joint and remove the thigh and leg. Repeat on other side. Then carve off one whole breast as best you can and repeat on other side. Whack off the wings last. Then cut the thighs from the drumstick and slice some of the thigh meat and set in a row on center of warm platter. Put a leg on each end of the thigh meat. Then * slice the breast meat across the grain * that is the trick and place sliced breast on the sides of the platter. Throw the wings in somewhere and place herbs for garnish on the platter. It will be awesome! And still hot since the platter is hot! I promise. E-mail with questions- I don't mind. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21393

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review