Pages: 1
Vermont Oatmeal Maple-Honey Bread
      #119275 - 11/05/04 08:59 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

From The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

*2 sandwich loaves, 16 slice per loaf

maple sugar and honey augment the very slightly sweet taste of the oats in the moist sandwich loaf. Try this toasted and spread with peanut butter (or, in our case soy margarine - lol), or use it for all manner of sanwiches.

2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup thick oat flakes (rolled oats)
1/2 cup maple sugar or brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavor (optional)
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) margarine (original calls for butter)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teapsoon cinnamon
1 tablepoon instant yeast
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I would replace with whatever other safe flour there is)
4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, oats, maple sugar, maple flavor, honey, margarine, salt, and cinnamon. Let cool to lukewarm.

Add the yeast and flours, stirring to form a rough dough. Knead (about 10 minutes by hand, 5 to 7 minutes by machine) until the dough is smooth and satiny. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let the dough rise for 1 hour; it should double in bulk.

Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a loaf. Place the loaves in two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 - inch bread pans. Cover the pans with lightly greased plastic wrap (or a proof cover) and allow the loaves to rise until they've crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350. Bake the loaves for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove them from the oven when they're golden brown and the interior registers 190 F on an instant-read thermometer.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Lisa! new
      #119279 - 11/05/04 09:10 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

wow, thanks for the recipe....I may try it this weekend, will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Vermont Oatmeal Maple-Honey Bread new
      #119309 - 11/05/04 10:08 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yay!! I love to make bread, but don't have a bread machine. I do it all by hand. Thanks for posting one that doesn't require a machine!!!

Also, when it asks for "instant" yeast, is that "quick rising" yeast or something else?

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Rachel - Re: Vermont Oatmeal Maple-Honey Bread new
      #119415 - 11/05/04 04:58 PM
BJake66

Hi Rach - wow - that is awesome you make bread by hand..one of these days I am going to try it. I looked in the book about active dry yeast vs. instant. It says you may substitute active dry yeast for the instant yeast called for in our recipes without making any changes in the amount....If a recipe using instant yeast calls for dough to "double in size, about 1 hours," you may want to mentally add 15-20 minutes on to this time if you're using active dry yeast. I checked the date on my active yeast..expired in October - I usually use the rapid rise - lol. I hope this answers your q - now that I know you make bread by hand, I will look up some recipes to post for you :-) Enjoy your night.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

You're so sweet! new
      #119433 - 11/05/04 07:18 PM
RachelT

Thanks!!! Making bread is almost relaxing for me. I also get a good work out with all of the kneading! That would be so great of you to post more hand-made recipes!!! Oh, and thanks for the info on the yeast. I have both rapid-rise and regular. I'm thinking I might try the rapid-rise first and see how it goes.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Made it today new
      #119715 - 11/07/04 01:15 PM
mickeymouse

Thanks again for this recipe, it is yummy! I made it without maple flavour, but I will have to try it next time, and double the recipe too because I don't think it will last long!

Leanne - Re: Made it today new
      #119772 - 11/07/04 07:00 PM
BJake66

Hi Leanne - that's great. I am so glad you like it! I think I would have left the maple flavor out at first too. Actually, I don't even have that flavor in my extracts! I posted another one...country parson raisin. Did you see it? Do you eat raisins? Seems as though there are so many more bread machine recipes out there these days..I will look for some more hand made ones to post tommorow.
Have a good night.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Re: Leanne - Re: Made it today new
      #119803 - 11/08/04 04:09 AM
mickeymouse

The country parson raisin sounds yummy, though I usually don't eat raisin's much...The bread machines sound so easy, and you only need to make one loaf at a time, maybe that will be a good investment for me to save time...

Thanks!

Leanne

I made this yesterday!!!!! new
      #121825 - 11/15/04 08:35 AM
RachelT

Dispite the fact that I had to return all the flour that I had purchased to make it because it was crawling with flour beetles and that I had to start from scratch twice... this bread turned out very well. It's very tasty!!! DH had 4 pieces right away!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6116

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review