All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tuna salad with carrots and celery ok?
      #118994 - 11/04/04 11:54 AM
karenj

Reged: 10/29/04

I was thinking of making my life easy tonight and making tuna salad for dinner. I usually make it with finely chopped carrots and celery in it with a bit of garlic and onion powder and a touch of sugar. I also bought flour tortillas serve them in. My kids usually eat this but I just wanted to make sure that this is ibs friendly (oh yeah, and I will use lite mayo). I am still not sure what affects my daughter's 6-yr old tummy so want to be real careful since she has school tomorrow but I am trying to get back to serving vegetables and she likes carrots (only uncooked though).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tuna salad with carrots and celery ok? new
      #119011 - 11/04/04 12:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Raw vegetables are usually very hard for people with IBS to digest, especially IBS-D people. I wouldn't recommend the vegetables, at least now... when she's more stable, she might be able to handle them just fine.

#119030 - 11/04/04 12:49 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree with Casey! Why don't you make tuna sandwiches instead, and serve it with some pasta!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#119039 - 11/04/04 01:18 PM
karenj

Reged: 10/29/04

Well we have leftover rice in the fridge, I was thinking of cooking some spinach and putting that in there.

I am just confused though, cause I thought that you could put your insolubles (carrots, celery) in with your solubles (flour tortillas) to make it "ok". Maybe the raw vegetables are pushing it a bit then?

Adding the spinach to the rice is good though right? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I'm new at this and in information overload...

You're on the right track... new
      #119063 - 11/04/04 02:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Eating insolubles with solubles is definitely the way to go. It's just *raw* vegetables that are a potential problem, especially at first. They're very hard to digest. She may be able to eat them in the long run, but for now, it's best if she only eats very-well-cooked vegetables.

Adding well-cooked spinach to the rice is ok in a general sense... there's still a chance it still may bother her, though. Some people can eat spinach, some can't. There's no way of knowing unless you try it, unfortunately. Generally, though, yes, that's safe.

#119087 - 11/04/04 03:54 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Also, any insoluble veggies can be a problem when you're still stabilizing. For me, at least, I find it's best to stick to solubles like potatoes and squash until I know I'm stable and then start attempting green veggies, etc. Personally, I can handle a few raw veggies like celery and carrots in tuna salad as long as I eat it in sandwich form and have that soluble fiber bread as a base. So it might be worth trying in the future!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#119719 - 11/07/04 01:32 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Personally, I can handle a few raw veggies like celery and carrots in tuna salad as long as I eat it in sandwich form and have that soluble fiber bread as a base. So it might be worth trying in the future!

And if you do decide to try something like this once she is stable, try grating the carrot. The smaller it is, the easier it is to tolerate. And for celery, take a vegetable peeler and peel the "strings" off the back of the rib to help make it more tolerable.

#119760 - 11/07/04 05:45 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I often eat tuna fish.. no mayo.. with tiny little chunks of celery, red onion and dill pickles. I also add italian herbs and lemon juice and it is awesome. If the veggies are cut up really small it should make it easier on the tummy. I've never had a problem with it.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review