All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
George Foreman Grill -- Cleaning Help
      #117845 - 11/01/04 04:32 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hi. I know a lot of us use the GF Grill, and I am wondering if anyone has a better cleaning method than the lousy one I have. I have the smallest GF grill, and no scraper thingie. It didn't come with one. Usually I unplug it after I'm done cooking. Then I turn it on again after I eat, and I let it get hot, and I wipe it down with white vinegar on a paper towel. I figure it's good b/c vinegar kills bacteria, and I don't have to worry about a cleaning product contaminating my food. My problem is that even though the surface is supposed to be non-stick, STUFF ALWAYS GETS STUCK! Then I end up burning my fingers trying to rub the towel into the edges of the grooves. I really hate this, and I end up leaving it dirty for days in a row just because I don't want to deal with it (The beauty of living alone is that I can be a complete slob most of the time).
So, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: George Foreman Grill -- Cleaning Help new
      #117861 - 11/01/04 05:32 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I wish I had a better suggestion, but I do something similar. The only difference is that after letting it get good and reheated, I plop a huge pile of cold wet paper towels on it, close it, and let it steam for a minute or so. You go through a lot of paper towels, but it seems to loosen up the bits and make the scrubbing part go a little easier.

I hope someone has better suggestions... I'm all ears, too! Everyone I know who has one cleans it the same way I do, burnt fingertips and all.

#117865 - 11/01/04 05:59 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Casey --
I actually sometimes do the same thing, putting the soaked paper towels in between it for a minute or so! I can't believe there's not a better way to do this!
PS--I love Viva paper towels, they are so towel-y. That's the kind I use, and at least they hold up to the scrubbing!
--Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#117913 - 11/01/04 10:19 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I use kitchen paper or a j-cloth dampened in hot water - I've never had to turn the grill back on - can't imagine needing to - how burnt do you like your food??? But seriously, do you think using some lemon juice to cut through the grease would help?

Josephine

Haha.... new
      #117931 - 11/02/04 12:22 AM
atomic rose

We're not turning our grills back on to re-cook our food... we're turning it on to heat up the grease and bits to make them easier to wipe off.

Vinegar is probably acidic enough to have the same effect as lemon juice. I haven't noticed any of that stuff making any difference in ease of cleaning, but maybe I'm just spastic. LOL

another suggestion new
      #117955 - 11/02/04 06:17 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I start with damp towels- if that works on a cold grill= great! if not, a) I use vinegar and b) if there is anything baked on I will put the towels in and heat it up, BUT I leave them there until its cooled back down considerably... the stuff stays loosened from the steam!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: another suggestion new
      #117966 - 11/02/04 07:15 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

to tell you the truth.. for the past few years.. i've waited till it cooled off and popped it the sink and washed it like anything else. I just always make sure that the cord stays out of the water and that it is unplugged. It really is a pain in the butt though.. they need to be dishwasher safe or something! the cleaning process really discourages me from using the foreman alot.

--------------------

There is a new one... new
      #117967 - 11/02/04 07:21 AM
khyricat

with removable cooking plates! you can carry them to the table to serve and also wash them easier- not sure if they are dishwasher safe, but I can't see why not!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#118023 - 11/02/04 09:02 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I do the same thing as Casey. It works well, but you do go through a lot of papper towels.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#118032 - 11/02/04 09:13 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I always spray mine with a vegetable cooking spray like Pam. I do this with my non-stick waffle iron as well. Nothing sticks and clean up is a breeze. Not all non-stick cooking surfaces are created equal and an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of clean up work. Kandee

--------------------

#118136 - 11/02/04 01:35 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Kandee, great idea as always! I'll have to try that next time. I always do the heating it up and using a ton of moist paper towels method and it's definitely a pain!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#118138 - 11/02/04 01:39 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Well, mine came with the scraper which helps. But it's WAY WORSE if you let it sit without cleaning for a day or two (or more!). Even the scraper doesn't get everything off.

I put the grill right next to the sink, with the front at the edge, & use hot water & a little dishwashing detergent on a dish rag. Then scrub scrub scrub (but keep dipping back into your hot water.) Most of the excess water drips into the sink. After I get it clean, I wipe it dry with paper towels.

Oh, it's about time!! new
      #118178 - 11/02/04 04:07 PM
atomic rose

You know, I have TWO of the cussed things, and I always wondered WHY on earth they didn't make the plates removable. Glad to see someone was finally thinking!

Ok I have question new
      #122654 - 11/16/04 08:10 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Everytime I use mine everthing taste's funny!! We never use it anymore because we don't like the taste of the food!!!
Anybody else have that problem!???

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Ok I have question new
      #122699 - 11/17/04 06:17 AM
khyricat

make sure its clean and the teflon is intact... I'd worry about eating that nonstick coating.. but I"d clean it very thouroughly- maybe thre is soap or other cleaning residue left on it? I've never noticed a problem like that and I use mine a ton.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 406 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5171

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review