All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pasta with shrimp and spinach??
      #117446 - 10/31/04 06:18 AM
karenj

Reged: 10/29/04

Hi everyone, I'm new to this, so please bear (bare?) with me! My 6 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with ibs and it is extremely hard to find things to cook for her/us. We have had chicken 5 times this week, I just can't do it again tonight. *sigh*. It is very hard to try new and innovative cooking for a 6 yr old and my whole day consists of trying to think of what to cook that is healthy, won't hurt her but is also kid friendly.

One thing that I have always cooked in the past is pasta with shrimp and broccoli (with olive oil, garlic and chicken broth) she doesn't like broccoli so I always take that out. I was thinking of making it with spinach tonight - she loves spinach and I feel she is really losing alot of the nutrients she needs with this new "diet" lately.

Sooooo...my question is: is spinach usually a "trigger food"? And if so, I THINK it is alright to eat as long as it is with the pasta correct? Because from what I am understanding here, it is not necessarily what you eat, but HOW you eat it, right? Please help - I'm stumped!! Also, she loves the pillsbury bisquits that you get in the frozen food section...are they a no no too??

Please help!!!!

Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pasta with shrimp and spinach?? new
      #117464 - 10/31/04 07:31 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Hi, Karen, I am also new to this, but I think spinach with pasta should be fine - spinach is insoluble fibre, but okay if eaten with some soluble fibre, like pasta (not wholewheat or egg pasta, though.) To be extra safe, you could start the meal with a bread roll (no butter.)

Trigger foods are those that cause symptoms in most people with IBS and are best avoided or restricted. Fruit and veg are not trigger foods, but need to be handled with care!

You might want to cut down on the amount of oil in the recipe, because too much fat can be a trigger. Also, if the chicken broth is store-bought, check for trigger ingredients like MSG.

Pilsbury biscuits - sorry, I don't know them. Maybe someone else can help?

I think you are doing a great job helping your little girl, there are lots of people on this board who had IBS problems as children and who would have loved to have such an understanding mother! Hope dinner is a success tonight!

Josephine

#117491 - 10/31/04 08:15 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The good news is, I've been able to spinach just fine, so maybe she can too. The bad news is, you won't know till you try it. Unfortunately, when it comes to insolubles, everyone is different in what they can and can't tolerate, so there's a lot of trial and error involved.

With this pasta recipe, go easy on the olive oil. There should be no more than a couple tablespoons in the entire recipe, to make it safe for her.

More bad news: the Pillsbury biscuits are probably not safe. I've looked over all of those biscuits, and pretty much every one contains (1) butter (2) dairy or (3) just plain too much fat. The *good* news (see? there's always good news) is that you can buy Reduced-Fat Bisquick and make biscuits with that and soy milk, and they're quite tasty and good for snacking too.

Some of the diet IS how you eat, but it's also what you eat. Things that are straight-up unsafe don't become safe when you eat them with soluble fiber. The pasta dish should be fine, as long as you're careful with the amount of fat in it. Anything with a lot of oil is a trigger.

I'm trying to think of some kid-friendly food ideas. Have you looked in the recipe index at all yet? There's some great ideas, even some chinese food. (I always loved my chow mein as a kid.) I'm also thinking turkey burgers with oven-baked "french fries", spaghetti with turkey meatballs, pizza made with soy cheese and veggies, tuna casserole - there's all kinds of good recipes on here that might inspire you. I agree, chicken every night gets tiresome!

Good luck!!

#117515 - 10/31/04 10:42 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Can she do dairy??

I sometimes make a seafood/pasta dish that is (a) easy (b) fast -- and EVERYONE likes it.

Put a layer of cooked tortellini into a sprayed baking dish. Cover that with a layer of cooked baby shrimp and/or crab. Cover that with a layer of thin-sliced mushrooms and fine-chopped fresh spinach. Cover that with a layer of sour cream mixed with grated cheese. Mix this lightly with a big spoon or your hands. Top with toast crumbs or cracker crumbs and bake till bubbly.

I think this would probably be edible if you used chicken broth and soy cheese instead of the sour cream and cheddar.

#117541 - 10/31/04 01:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just a heads-up... dairy is NOT ok for MOST people with IBS, and if you're trying to stabilize your daughter, I would really, really recommend against it. Use a cheese-free tortellini, or substitute some other kind of small pasta.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1721

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review