All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I need help on tomatoe sauces!
      #115835 - 10/25/04 07:34 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I used to use Ragu spaghetti sauce but it gives me tummy ache and red poo. I cannot tolerate tomatoes. Would using tomatoe paste or tomatoe puree help the red poo or tummy aches? (spaghetti is my favorit food) (no onions for me)
Fembeth

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need help on tomatoe sauces! new
      #115855 - 10/25/04 10:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hmm... unfortunately, I don't think using tomato puree or paste is going to be much different from using sauce, as far as the overall effect on your digestive system. You can try it if you like, but I'd say that if sauce bothers you, the other tomato products will too. Sorry.

There are lots of non-tomato pasta options out there! This has been discussed before, on this board and the diet board... do a search, and you'll probably come up with all kinds of ideas. Good luck!

Good news & Bad news new
      #115875 - 10/26/04 06:17 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I don't think that using those other tomato products will help you if you're sensitive. However -- on the good news side -- when I first found out I had IBS -- I couldn't do tomato sauces either. I have been stable now since the first part of this year and I just started last month trying once in a while having a new kind of sauce. I didn't get Ragu -- I got Bertollini (I think that's the brand name) -- tomato & basil. It has a big freshness claim -- which I think helps with cutting the acidity -- fresher is better. Also -- I added a little sugar & a little ginger to the sauce and took all my digestive aids. I also made sure to eat more pasta than sauce -- and ate pasta first (and soluble fiber supplement before that). So far - so good. I have had it four times now (plus leftovers)without any attacks.

So -- if you get to a point where you are more stable -- you may be able to sneak it in -- if you make modifications. I couldn't do it for nearly a year though.

Re: Good news & Bad news new
      #115877 - 10/26/04 06:57 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Adding sugar (doesn't need to be a lot) to your tomato sauce is a great suggestion... it will cut down on the acidity and it should make it a little more tolerable.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#115879 - 10/26/04 07:02 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

If its truly the tomato you may be stuck, BUT I have issues with most storebought sauces due to dairy and MSG in them- have you read the labels on the ragu? if thats the case, then making your own will help- adding a bit of sugar will cut down on the acidity and make it easier to digest too... DH and I have become experts at whipping up quicky sauces lately.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#115950 - 10/26/04 10:41 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Are you sure you don't have an ulcer? Do you eat any acidic fruits or othewr foods that give you problems as well? Talk to your doc about this....it may be nothing or it may be something.

In the meantime, feel good, and enjoy some of the recipes on the board that are non-tomato based!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie new
      #116254 - 10/27/04 08:57 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I just had a endoscopy about a month ago and everything was clear. I notices I am very sensative to colors. I wonder if there is some kind of coloring in the sauce to look more red. Thanks! for the hugs that always makes me feel better. Hugs right back at ya! Fembeth

Edited by FEMBETH (10/27/04 08:58 AM)

Re: Ruchie new
      #116325 - 10/27/04 11:26 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If it's colors you're sensative to, tey making your tom sauce from scratch and you'll know for sure what's in it!

It could also be a prob with veggies in the night shade family...Heahter's mentioned that to me before (do a search if you need more info...sorry, can't think right now!)

Anywya...I hope you enjoy your food in the meantime, and I'm glad you already had things checked out and you're in the clear!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review