All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raw nuts Ok?
      #113334 - 10/16/04 01:15 AM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

Are raw nuts ok, like almonds and cashews? I ate some after my dinner. and i'm very bloated right now. but then again maybe it was the peas for dinner...?!
I find it frustrating trying to find veggies that do work for me. I'm cutting almost all of them! IS this ok?

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raw nuts Ok? new
      #113336 - 10/16/04 03:51 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I don't know if this is an IBS thing or not but I have had a lot of trouble with nuts and seeds. They used to cause severe one-sided throbbing headaches, nausea, fainting, only thing to do was sleep (it was always a very deep sleep) and on waking go to the toilet, usually to have bad diarrhoea, after which I felt much better. They became more frequent and this was one of the reasons I gave up working. It took a while to realise nuts and seeds were to blame, because I was a vegetarian at the time and used them a lot in cooking. For a long time I thought it was chocolate, but that was because I always ate nut chocolate!

Three years ago I went on a detox diet - nothing too extreme, but I haven't had the same problems since, only two headaches in that time. I eat nuts occasionally, they tend to make me uncomfortable and "pass through", but nothing like the same problems as before.

Like I say, this may be nothing to do with IBS, but I would definitely treat nuts with caution.

Hope you're feeling better by now anyway! Are you drinking the fennel and peppermint teas?

Josephine

#113364 - 10/16/04 08:23 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Nuts are listed in the insolubles: web page
It would probably help if the nuts were ground very finely before eating them... probably better to use them in a dish rather than eating them raw.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#113377 - 10/16/04 08:54 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Like Becky said, nuts are not the safest. The good news is I do eat them in moderation after a meal as long as I'm feeling stable. With that said, though, I can't eat peanuts, but I can snack on the occasional soy nut, cashew, etc. I think you just need to learn what works for your body!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review