All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rice or Soy milk for newbies
      #113198 - 10/15/04 07:39 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I love soy milk, my fiance doesn't. He liked rice milk. The funny thing is, I love rice, but I tried an Almond Rice Milk Shake and I didn't like it. If I put it in a soup which do you think is more tollerable or tasty for someone would who never had anything but milk or heavy cream in soups.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice or Soy milk for newbies new
      #113202 - 10/15/04 08:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, there's a *really* big difference between an Almond Rice Milk Shake and plain rice milk. Have you tried plain rice milk?

In soups and such, the key is to use PLAIN soy or rice milk, not any of the flavored ones. I find that soy has a very distinct taste in "cream" soups... on the other hand, soy has a better texture for cooking. It's kind of a trade-off. I usually use soy milk for soups and stews, and then compensate with extra seasonings because I hate that soy taste.

Casey new
      #113207 - 10/15/04 08:11 AM
Sweetd

Hi Casey,

I have never tried rice milk. After that shake I was grossed out! From what I tasted the consistancy was thick and graining and tasted like ithad rice pieces in it. Is this my imagination? Is it supposed to taste like this? Or is it because it was a shake and like you said they taste diferent?

I'll put the soy milk in. I hope he likes it. I buy a low ft Soy milk, so it is thin and doesn't have much of a tate to it (also it is unflavored). Maybe should I try a Soy Creamer, or will that have too much of an after taste for him? Thanks Casey.

--------------------

Edited by Sweetd (10/15/04 08:12 AM)

#113208 - 10/15/04 08:12 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

The ONLY time I ever use flavored rice milk is when the recipe calls for it, such as cakes or other "sweet" things. Otherwise I ALWAYS use plain rice milk, even on my oatmeal. I try to avoid soy as much as possible, I just can't get past that soy aftertaste. YUCK!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#113213 - 10/15/04 08:20 AM
Sweetd

I get the low fat Soy Milk and it actually tastes good, but maybe that is because I like soy and soy yogurt.

--------------------

Ewww! new
      #113234 - 10/15/04 09:11 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That shake sounds nasty! Plain rice milk is perfectly smooth and rather thin - totally the opposite of that shake!

But it sounds like you have a good soy milk to work with, so I'd just try that to start with. Good luck!

Re: Ewww! new
      #113235 - 10/15/04 09:16 AM
Sweetd

Thanks Casey. One day I will have to try plain Rice Milk. That shake just turned me off and left a bad taste in my mouth . I am glad to know that rice milk is so tasty. I figured it would be, since I love rice. Thanks .

--------------------

Re: Casey new
      #113311 - 10/15/04 06:50 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

that shake thing sounds gross- Rice milk is actually slightly thinner then the soy I've been buying... a slightly different taste too.. I use both mostly interchangeably... but mom prefers the taste of soy milk, though rice milk agrees with her body more...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#113378 - 10/16/04 08:56 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I would recommend Rice Dream Enriched vanilla for drinking and using on cereal. It has a nice lightly sweet taste and also contains useful vitamins and minerals. I'm addicted to the stuff.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 441 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review