All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Recipe ingredients for the UK
      #111808 - 10/10/04 09:23 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Can anyone tell me if Angel Food Cake mix is available in the UK? Do we call it something else? I've seen a recipe but I'm not so hot at baking, so a mix would be good.

Also, applesauce, apart from making it myself - I do know how to do that! - is there a good brand available? I bought a jar of Colman's, but it's really meant for serving with roast pork, etc, and is a bit small and expensive to keep buying to use as a cookery ingredient, so I wondered if there was a bigger jar/tin that other UK IBS-ers use?

Finally, is there an easy way to calculate measurements, eg how many ounces of flour to a cup?

In general, are there any recipe hints and tips others in the UK can pass on?

Thanks in advance.

Josephine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Recipe ingredients for the UK new
      #111811 - 10/10/04 09:46 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Here is a link to where you could buy some in the UK. web page

Maybe you could call them and find out where they are located and you could pick some up.

Contact Us

by e-mail : info@skyco.uk.com

Telephone/Fax: 01932 565559
Voicemail: 01932 569571
by post :

SKYCO International Food Club (UK)
10 Twynersh Avenue
Chertsey
Surrey
KT16 9DE

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Trade? new
      #111837 - 10/10/04 01:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My husband says he will send you a large box of angel food cake mixes if you send him a bottle of Lagavulin whisky! He is actually serious but I am just joking since no one would want to give out their address to someone they met online.
P.S. we'll throw in some measuring cups so you can make American recipes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Recipe ingredients for the UK new
      #111858 - 10/10/04 02:23 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Josephine,

I am in Dublin but can help- some US speciality food places have the mixes, you might hit the jackpot in deli/gourmet style places as I have seen a lot of them in ones here, Angel Food from what I understand is quite like what we call "sponge" but not exactly the same.

The Tescos jars are bigger than the colmans ones, and are cheaper. I not to make your own applesauce simply peel cooking apples and put them in the microwave with some water and sugar on top and cook them for about 3 minutes, check them (depending on quantity) and but them on for another couple of minutes..and voila, applesauce.(stewed apples)

I know Linz mentioned that she uses the Bon Maman Apple Compote which might be in a jam sized jar which would be bigger too but I haven't seen it here.

Its quite complicate to figure out the ounces as liquids and flour etc are measured on the same scale..BUT you can get the measuring cups in Debenhams for about a fiver, its really the easiest way to measure is not to translate just to use them! They make baking so much easier. I also bought a set of measuring spoons as they are useful and more accurate than using a teaspoon and trying to measure half a tablespoon etc

Other tip wise the most important thing to note is that we don't have Canola oil so you should use sunflower oil instead. IF you have any other questions just ask.
These links are also useful from threads where we have discussed UK (& Ireland!) stuff before.

UK brands
UK Ingredients
Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: Recipe ingredients for the UK: SINEAD new
      #111914 - 10/10/04 06:02 PM
dozyveeny

Sinead, thanks for these links - I just saw your post on another thread too. Yes, you are right, applesauce is easy enough for anybody to make! I already have measuring spoons, so I'll look for the measuring cups - I was actually imagining that all American teacups must be exactly the same size! Thanks for the tips, I suppose we ought to work out some recipes and substitutions using ingredients easily available over here too, but I am not very good at baking - had a bad experience with a Victoria Sponge once and never got over it! I see from your post about wheat-free treats that you are a dab hand, so maybe you will put something together sometime ... (hint hint)

Josephine

Edited by dozyveeny (10/10/04 06:04 PM)

Re: Recipe ingredients for the UK: SHELL new
      #111916 - 10/10/04 06:07 PM
dozyveeny

Shell, thanks for the link, this looks like a really useful site - some of the stuff is probably available in Glasgow or London, but I live in the country so getting it online would be helpful.

Josephine

Re: Trade? new
      #111917 - 10/10/04 06:09 PM
dozyveeny

Tamara, I would trust you but surely the shipping charges would be prohibitive!!! It's almost as cheap to fly somewhere in person as to send stuff these days. So maybe you and your husband should come back to Scotland ... I'll make you some porridge! Where did you go when you were here before?

Josephine

whisky new
      #112113 - 10/11/04 04:14 PM
Little Minnie

I am sure he would love to go back! We are going to England this spring and maybe Wales but we were waiting on Scotland. But when you buy alcohol you have to pay fines and stuff. Yet I don't know if there would be any savings or whatever. He is just wanting to complete his collection, but I don't care!
We went to Edinburgh a couple days and drove up to Skye where we went to Dunvegan Castle and Talisker Distillery and hiked the Quiraing which I highly recommend. There was certainly more we could have done but we only had a few days.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: whisky new
      #112231 - 10/12/04 03:56 AM
dozyveeny

Yes, Scotland is a small country but there is plenty to do, especially if you like outdoor stuff. You should come to Glasgow sometime (my mother's hometown!) Glaswegians are very friendly and have a great sense of humour. No shortage of bars for whisky lovers either.

So, as they say up here, haste ye back!

Josephine

Josephine new
      #113423 - 10/16/04 04:55 PM
Little Minnie

My hub bought his Lagavulin today and a bottle of what he called his "everyday whisky" . He loved it- says he only wants to drink the Isla whiskies. It was $46 and it brings up the question of if we can get fine scotch here why can't you get angel food cake there? Although I bet the reason is because UK cakes are usually so dense and full of stuff that angel food must not be popular. I can't see Nigella Lawson making it!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review