Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
aaahhhh! tofu!!! help!!!
      #111 - 01/29/03 04:34 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

hello all.

just to introduce myself, i'm a 20 year old (almost 21!) who has suffered from what i think is IBS (will be finished with testing soon) for around 4 years. and.... I'm a TERRIBLE COOK. i've tried for a long time now and i've gotten better... my boyfriend even LIKED a stir fry i made last time he came over! ;-) but alas i am kitchen-challenged.

i've had really good tofu. i like it... when other people make it. i tried to put it in stir fry and i think i just don't know what i'm doing cuz it was mushy and spongy and not good.

any good suggestions on how to make tofu and make it taste good and have a good texture? i'm a very easy to please person when it comes to food... if i know it's good for me i'll eat it even if it's less than perfect looking or tasting. my boyfriend, however, isn't liking my IBS diet too much cuz i don't know how to make anything that resembles something he'd like. so we end up eating seperate meals, which is an arrangement neither of us likes. HELP!

thanks

Beth

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: aaahhhh! tofu!!! help!!! new
      #120 - 01/29/03 05:48 PM
Andie

Loc: Western NY

I am not a regular tofu user but have tried some things for my daughter who is a vegetarian. I do know you should use firm or extra-firm tofu for things like stir-frying. I believe you can also "strain" it by setting it in a strainer lined with a double-thickness of papertowel, thus making it less "mushy" in cooking. Good luck!

#124 - 01/29/03 06:58 PM
pamk

Hi Beth,

Do you have a copy of Heather's book? I have to say that when I first started cooking from it I was a bit apprehensive when it came to trying new things but the more success I had with each meal I prepared, my confidence grew and before I knew it, I was making delicious meals that my whole family enjoys. There are still some things that they just don't like and because they don't have IBS and can eat other things I understand how they feel when I try and offer them a glass of soy milk and they wrinkle up their noses. Ha! But they really do enjoy most of the things I prepare now and even brag to their friends that their mom makes great tasting dishes that are healthy and good for them.

#179 - 01/30/03 02:34 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Beth - I haven't had a lot of experience with tofu either, but I do know you have to buy the kind the recipe calls for because there are so many different kinds. I tried one last week for a stir-fry and it browned really nicely and had a nice texture to it. Of course, my husband didn't like it so I ended up eating his too! Next time you go to a grocery store, look at all the different consistencies there are and make sure you buy the right consistency for the recipe. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Good Luck!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#195 - 01/30/03 05:27 PM
pamk

I like to use a tofu burger mix (can't remember the name brand at the moment.) It's really yummy and you can serve it on a warm french roll with a thin slice of tomato and mustard and fat free mayo. You can also mix up a honey-mustard sauce, which is simply just that, dijon mustard and a touch of honey, maybe even add a little balsamic vinegar. This is really good!

#251 - 01/31/03 07:45 PM
juniorrachel

thanks for all your help... i think i'll definitely try the straining technique... that might be the problem.

i do have heather's book, but like i said i'm not naturally gifted in the kitchen so some of the recipes just kind of "stare" at me from the pages and i stare back ;-)

i'm working on it, though! this message board is WONDERFUL, by the way.

beth

#569 - 02/08/03 08:57 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Here are a couple of delicious and non-intimidating tofu recipes. Just be sure to buy water-packed and NOT aseptically-packaged tofu. (Which is what my best friend did, and she called me and asked acccusingly why she'd had to offer "slimy" tofu to her family!) Spring Creek is a good brand if it's available near you. I can't find it in Nashville, so I buy some really cheap, decent tofu from the local Asian grocery. Anyway...

Korean Barbecue Tofu

Cut into 1/4-inch slices 1 1/2 pounds firm tofu. Marinate at least 2 hours (overnight is best) in a mixture of: 1/2 cup soy sauce or 1/4 cup tamari and 1/4 cup Bragg's Aminos; 2 tablespoons sugar; 2 teaspoons dry mustard; 4 cloves garlic, minced fine; 2 teaspoons onion powder

Brown on both sides in 2 tablespoons oil. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with rice. Can top with mushrooms and snow peas. Serves 6.
-–adapted from _Tofu Cookery_, 1982 Edition

All-Purpose Tofu Marinade

Combine above marinade ingredients (onion powder optional) with 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Use as above or grill tofu and serve on buns.
-–Amelia Kridler

#639 - 02/10/03 03:11 PM
juniorrachel

thanks, tess!

beth

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7338

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review