All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any ideas for a creamy pasta sauce without tomatoes?
      #109912 - 10/03/04 03:55 AM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hello

I'm really in the mood for a nice comforting pasta dish with a creamy sauce - only thing is, I don't know how to put one together! I was thinking of using soy milk as the base but that's where my expertise ends. Could do with some advice from some of the more experienced cooks here.... thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Rich and Creamy Lowfat Vegan Alfredo new
      #109923 - 10/03/04 06:26 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds incredibly easy, and check out the "reviews" below the recipe - 99% of the people who try it rave about how delicious it is.

Rich and Creamy Lowfat Vegan Alfredo

Re: Rich and Creamy Lowfat Vegan Alfredo new
      #109937 - 10/03/04 08:10 AM
sona

Thanks Casey, I've had a look around the reviews and this seems to be a popular one! I don't mind tofu in savory cooking but wasn't keen on the 'dairy free choc mousse' recipe - think it was the tofu that turned me off. I will try this receipe (pasta one, not the mousse again!) out this week.

Do you know how to make a sauce with soya milk as the main ingrediant. Do you thicken with corn flour?

Sorry for all the questions - still learning how to cook for IBS!

Yum Casey. You're a recipe expert! new
      #109948 - 10/03/04 09:10 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Try this... new
      #109949 - 10/03/04 09:11 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Bring about a cup of soy milk almost to a boil. Whisk together 1/4 cup COLD soy milk and 2 tbsp flour - just regular flour. Stir this into the hot soy milk, and cook it for a little bit, stirring constantly... it *should* thicken up into a nice white sauce.

Keep in mind that this is really basic and probably will taste terrible as-is. I don't know what you were planning on using for seasonings, but garlic would be tasty - I'd saute a clove of that in a little cooking spray, then add the soy milk and bring it to boil. Soy Parmesan would be a good addition after it thickens. Definitely season to taste with salt and pepper, and add any herbs you thought you might want to add.

That should work. Sorry it's not a specific recipe - I'm used to just throwing stuff in pans until something works, heh.

Does anyone use butter extract? new
      #109953 - 10/03/04 09:16 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have wondered about adding flavor that way to stuff.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Try this... new
      #110042 - 10/03/04 04:17 PM
sona

Thanks Casey - didn't get to eat tonight with one thing and another, but am going to give this a go tommorow so will report back in to let you know how I got on. Will do the garlic thing - just need to look up how to saute things! Wow, really am the most inexperienced cook - but I am good at other things, really! Thanks again, still working on my ambition to post a receipe, but unless you guys like overcooked, burnt or inedible dishes, I'm going to have to keep working at it!!!

Bechamel sauce and faux cheese sauce new
      #110059 - 10/03/04 05:25 PM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

Here are some recipes I have used in the past. The bechamel sauce is like alfredo and I used to serve it with grilled chicken and pasta!!! Even DH liked it!
Cream Sauce Recipe
Rena

Re: Bechamel sauce and faux cheese sauce new
      #110065 - 10/03/04 06:08 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I was going to recommend the same one. I made it this summer for bf, served it along with bs chicken breasts that I pounded thin, dipped in egg white, dipped in flour, and pan-fried in a non-stick pan sprayed with fat free cooking spray. Just be generous with salt and pepper any anything else you like. You can refridgerate the sauce in the saucepan, then just add a little extra rice milk when you reheat on the stovetop.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3556

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review