All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Looking For Crockpot Recipes w/Cooking Times Of 10 + Hours
      #107932 - 09/23/04 01:28 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I would LOVE to be able to use my crock-pot during the work week but have not because I have to leave the house at 7am and don't get home until 5:30pm, then I go to the gym and we are not home until close to 8pm. So, really it could end up on low for 12-13 hours. Or I COULD turn it off at 5:30pm and just leave the lid on until 8pm (would it stay hot?)

Any ideas??

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looking For Crockpot Recipes w/Cooking Times Of 10 + Hours new
      #107944 - 09/23/04 02:00 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I'll tell ya this much: DON'T do a recipe with chicken breasts that long, LOL!

Soups and stews - things like chili - would be fine to leave cooking on low for that long. Pasta sauces, same thing. I actually make things like chili in the crockpot and reheat them the next day in the 'pot, too, which means that they've essentially cooked for 16+ hours... and they're still great to me. Unfortunately, the only non-soup recipes I have that allow for a long cook time are red meat - roasts and such.

My pot stays warm, when turned off, for about an hour and a half, 2 hours MAX if it's really warm in the kitchen anyway. I think leaving it for longer would be pushing it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

I have a slow-cooker recipe book, although... new
      #107967 - 09/23/04 02:24 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

nothing calls for 10+ hours, I have some that call for 8, and I would think that an extra 2 hours on low would only make it that much more tender. Do you have a crock pot that has a warming setting, those are really helpful in situations like this. Anyway Shell, I'll post the recipes seperate from this thread, hopefully you can use some of them.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#107968 - 09/23/04 02:25 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

I would LOVE to be able to use my crock-pot during the work week but have not because I have to leave the house at 7am and don't get home until 5:30pm, then I go to the gym and we are not home until close to 8pm. So, really it could end up on low for 12-13 hours. Or I COULD turn it off at 5:30pm and just leave the lid on until 8pm (would it stay hot?)

Any ideas??

Or if you have a recipe that takes 2-3 hours to cook, you could get it all ready to go in the morning, pop it in the crockpot when you get home, and have it ready to go when you get home!

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#107971 - 09/23/04 02:28 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I second the no go on chicken- UNLESS... if you don't mind tiny shreds of chicken in your soup or stew its a great thing.. I have done it.. DH hates it that way, but I find it makes it easy to eat sometimes.... so it does depend on my mood what I'll do... also- chicken based sloppy joes work really well as long as there is plenty of liquid in them, because the chicken will shred itself in that cooking time.. I do this- with my own homemade BBQ type sauce sometimes.. DH does like that.. otherwise I use it mostly for bean based things, and we have 3 crocks so I can make him beanless chili while I make me meatless chili! then any guests get some from each pot!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I have a slow-cooker recipe book, although... new
      #107979 - 09/23/04 02:35 PM
Shell Marr

Thanks Casey for the no chicken tip
Thanks Rachel for posting more later
Thanks Jen for the 2-3 hour tip.... now to find some...

--------------------

#107980 - 09/23/04 02:37 PM
Shell Marr

Thanks Amie the shredded chicken sloppy joes sounds yummy!!

--------------------

Re: I have a slow-cooker recipe book, although... new
      #108020 - 09/23/04 03:47 PM
atomic rose

Actually... recipes that call for chicken breasts, as long as the breasts aren't frozen or anything, *should* cook on high in 2-3 hours. In my crockpot, chicken breasts take 4-5 hours on low. It might be worth a try! Great idea, Jen!

Start out with frozen ingredients and then the added time shouldn't be a problem.-nt- new
      #108046 - 09/23/04 05:17 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

--------------------

Re: Start out with frozen ingredients and then the added time shouldn't be a problem.-nt- new
      #108064 - 09/23/04 09:07 PM
Shell Marr

Your so smart Kandee

--------------------

#108091 - 09/24/04 05:39 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I just saw you post saying you like chili. That is one thing that it doesn't seem to matter how long you let it cook on low in the crockpot. I don't know why but I always make mine in the crockpot and I never time it. It doesn't seem to dry out either. The recipe I use is the one from Better Homes and Garden cookbook. Pasta sauce is another one that would probable be okay. It is suppose to be better the longer you cook it right? You would still have to cook your pasta but that usually isn't too long. A hint for pasta that we have used with leftovers is to cook it up ahead of time and give it a quick rinse to get rid of a little of the startch. Cool it down and refridgerate. Then when you want it just boil some water and throw it in for a minute to heat it. My hubby used to work at Pizza hut and that is what they would do when they served pasta.

Obviously I didn't read everyones post but I'm sure I gave you a few more hints.

Edited by torbetta (09/24/04 05:43 AM)

Well... new
      #108093 - 09/24/04 05:56 AM
atomic rose

I hate even jumping in here, because I'm sure it's going to sound like I'm being argumentative - but I'm really not, honest! I've just found that using frozen ingredients really does not make THAT much of a difference in the cooking time - it might buy you an extra hour at most. I'm sure this depends on how large your crockpot is, and how large the recipe itself is... but I've found that in my little pot, a recipe that serves 4 takes about the same amount of time whether or not the ingredients start out frozen.

I'm not saying Kandee's wrong... I'm just saying that it might take a little experimentation with your crockpot and the recipes you want to try!

Good luck!

#108113 - 09/24/04 07:16 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

so true on all counts.. my favorite chili recipe is actually best after sitting in the pot for 3 days... I make it that way on purpose to take it to pot lucks, etc... so definitely better the longer it is cooked!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Good point Casey. new
      #108133 - 09/24/04 08:35 AM
Kandee

Quote:

I hate even jumping in here, because I'm sure it's going to sound like I'm being argumentative - but I'm really not, honest! Oh sweetie, we know...you're just being helpful...as usual! I've just found that using frozen ingredients really does not make THAT much of a difference in the cooking time - it might buy you an extra hour at most. I'm sure this depends on how large your crockpot is, and how large the recipe itself is... You're right. The amount of surface and air space it initially has to heat up makes a big difference. but I've found that in my little pot, a recipe that serves 4 takes about the same amount of time whether or not the ingredients start out frozen.

I have to admit I'm not an expert on crockpot cooking, but there are message boards where people are and cook everything from cakes to snakes in them.

Mine happens to be very large and so takes hrs. just to heat up. Besides, it has a delayed timing feature....which brings me to another hint that may work. Shell, if your crockpot doesn't have delayed timing buy a little timer you can plug it in to, to set the start time and finish time. If you use frozen or very cold ingredients the food will stay safe if it has to sit in the pot a while until it starts to cook.

I'm not saying Kandee's wrong... I'm just saying that it might take a little experimentation with your crockpot and the recipes you want to try!

Experimenting IS the name of the game until you get the desired product. Personally, being a lazy cook the older I get, I've found that cooking or baking extra amounts and freezing to nuke for a quick meal later on to be more to my liking, however there are somethings I love done in the crockpot.

Good luck!

--------------------

Re: Good point Casey. new
      #108138 - 09/24/04 08:43 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

I hate even jumping in here, because I'm sure it's going to sound like I'm being argumentative - but I'm really not, honest! Oh sweetie, we know...you're just being helpful...as usual! yes, as usual! I've just found that using frozen ingredients really does not make THAT much of a difference in the cooking time - it might buy you an extra hour at most. I'm sure this depends on how large your crockpot is, and how large the recipe itself is... You're right. The amount of surface and air space it initially has to heat up makes a big difference. but I've found that in my little pot, a recipe that serves 4 takes about the same amount of time whether or not the ingredients start out frozen.

I have to admit I'm not an expert on crockpot cooking, but there are message boards where people are and cook everything from cakes to snakes in them.

Mine happens to be very large and so takes hrs. just to heat up. Besides, it has a delayed timing feature....which brings me to another hint that may work. Shell, if your crockpot doesn't have delayed timing buy a little timer you can plug it in to, to set the start time and finish time. Kandee that is a GREAT idea!! Where can I find something like that? Home Depot maybe? If you use frozen or very cold ingredients the food will stay safe if it has to sit in the pot a while until it starts to cook.

Experimenting IS the name of the game until you get the desired product. Personally, being a lazy cook the older I get, I've found that cooking or baking extra amounts and freezing to nuke for a quick meal later on to be more to my liking, however there are somethings I love done in the crockpot.

Good luck!

--------------------

Re: Good point Casey. new
      #108144 - 09/24/04 08:51 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Shell, if your crockpot doesn't have delayed timing buy a little timer you can plug it in to, to set the start time and finish time. Kandee that is a GREAT idea!! Where can I find something like that? Home Depot maybe? If you use frozen or very cold ingredients the food will stay safe if it has to sit in the pot a while until it starts to cook.
OMG!!! That's a terrific idea! Why didn't I ever think to do that?

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Timers... new
      #108147 - 09/24/04 09:02 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hate even jumping in here, because I'm sure it's going to sound like I'm being argumentative - but I'm really not, honest! Oh sweetie, we know...you're just being helpful...as usual! yes, as usual! I've just found that using frozen ingredients really does not make THAT much of a difference in the cooking time - it might buy you an extra hour at most. I'm sure this depends on how large your crockpot is, and how large the recipe itself is... You're right. The amount of surface and air space it initially has to heat up makes a big difference. but I've found that in my little pot, a recipe that serves 4 takes about the same amount of time whether or not the ingredients start out frozen.

Mine happens to be very large and so takes hrs. just to heat up. Besides, it has a delayed timing feature....which brings me to another hint that may work. Shell, if your crockpot doesn't have delayed timing buy a little timer you can plug it in to, to set the start time and finish time. Kandee that is a GREAT idea!! Where can I find something like that? Home Depot maybe?

I've seen them at Wal-mart, Target, yes to Home Depot, Lowes...etc. You can buy them for as little as $5 or a lot more with all the bells and whistles that set mutlitple appliances. I use them for plugging lights into when I go away, so I always have lots on hand.

If you use frozen or very cold ingredients the food will stay safe if it has to sit in the pot a while until it starts to cook.

Good luck!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4949

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review