Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hints for Gluten Free Baking
      #107137 - 09/20/04 07:53 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi All,

The following was in an email from a member of my celiac group, Rosemary, who runs a G/F restaurant in Melbourne, called Silly Yaks. (So they're her tried and true baking hints and not anything that this kitchen disaster would think of.)

"Our chef makes batter from a mix of rice flour and besan flour (not too heavy on the besan). It comes out golden brown and yummy. (This is for battered fish.)

AFAIK she only lightly flours the fish befor dipping in the batter. Itis done in a deep fryer and always seems to stick to the fish and not the basket of the deep fryer!

A tip for you all.....

When making biscuits or cookies don't use any soy flour in them - soy doesn't crisp up very well. Use besan instead of the soy and you should find a huge difference. Actually get lighter, crunchy biscuits. Worked this one out through a lot of research and trial and error.

Soy is the highest protein (strongest) flour after wheat, rye, barley and oats are taken out of the picture. Unfortunately soy is also fat soluable, so if there is a high fat content in what you are making, the soy flour starts to dissolve . (this is my simplified understanding of it).

This is one of the reasons why REAL puff pastry and REAL croissants (think France here) are so hard to make. It's a catch 22. You need the strength of the soy flour to hold the layers needed for these yummies, but the large amount of fat necessary to actually get the lamination in."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hints for Gluten Free Baking new
      #107145 - 09/20/04 08:25 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Bev, what is besan flour? I've never heard of it. Could it be called something different here in the US?

BTW, I tried to make a GF beer batter for fish and it was a disaster..I ended up throwing it out and dredging the fish in corn meal.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Hints for Gluten Free Baking new
      #107151 - 09/20/04 09:00 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Sorry Kandee,

Its an Indian flour, found at Asian grocery shops. Made from lentils. The commercial pappadams that you buy are made from it.

Regards,

Bev

Learning something new every day. new
      #107173 - 09/20/04 09:45 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Sorry Kandee,

Its an Indian flour, found at Asian grocery shops. Made from lentils. The commercial pappadams that you buy are made from it.

Regards,

Bev

Wow, this is news to me. Thanks for the education. We have a small Asian market here that I'll check on for it. I've been meaning to get in there anyway to learn how to make good Boba tea.

I suppose one could order it on line??

And best regards to you too Bev,

Kandee

--------------------

Besan flour new
      #107174 - 09/20/04 09:53 PM
Kandee

I learned it is from chick peas.(aka garbanzo beans). I've seen chick pea flour in a LARGE HFS and didn't get it thinking it likely didn't taste very good. I wonder if chick pea flour and Besan is the same thing. Anyone know?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review