All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
anyone have any substitutes for butter on toast?
      #102942 - 08/31/04 05:51 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Since I have IBS-D I eat a LOT of white baguette toast but I just can't seem to bring myself to give up the butter. I try to spread it lightly but I am wondering if I am making things worse by doing this and whether anyone has any ideas for alternatives to butter. Is Jam any better? Unfortunately, I don't really like jam -- it's too sweet for me.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's going to sound bizarre, but... new
      #102954 - 08/31/04 06:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I use fruit baby food. My favorites are Gerber fruit medley (pineappley!) and mango. I tried it for the same reasons you list - having to give up butter, but thinking that jam and jelly are just too sweet.

I would give up the butter, honestly. Even a thin scrape. Because of the *kind* of fat it is, butter is just... bad. You could try a soy margarine instead - just be warned that it's still very high in fat, and so you'd still have to go with a thin scrape, but it's better than the dairy in butter!

Some people have also said that they use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. There are dairy derivatives in it, though, so depending on how sensitive you are to dairy, that might not be a good idea.

SmartBalance Light new
      #102958 - 08/31/04 06:39 PM
birdnerd

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: NY

I actually just bought a product called SmartBalance Light. I bought it at a regular supermarket and has no dairy and no hydrogenated oils. I liked the taste of it. The calories on these things are never good, but I think it is better than the I Cant Believe its not Butter and does not have the buttermilk. The only thing you can't use it for is baking. I got it in those small tubs. I haven't had any negative effects so I hope it's ok. Has anyone else tried it?

Re: SmartBalance Light new
      #102979 - 08/31/04 09:29 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I use the I can't believe its not butter spray. It doesn't bother me at all. I love it! It also is calorie free!!!!

--------------------

Re: anyone have any substitutes for butter on toast? new
      #103001 - 09/01/04 04:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I use roasted garlic as a spread thinly on things like that even in a baked potatoe to add flavor- yummy, healthy and doesn't upset me in that form

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#103002 - 09/01/04 05:05 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I use I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter Spread, but there is some dairy in it so I wouldn't try it unless you are super stable. For a while I was drizzling honey on my english muffins, and that is pretty yummy. I grew up using a spread made out of strained yogurt, and I am going to try and see if it comes out the same when I use a soy yogurt. I tried it in the past and the consistency wasn't right, but I am trying a new brand so I'll let you know how it comes out. It has to be tart and not have that fake-sweet soy taste, you know?
Good luck.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

THANKS FOR ALL THE BUTTER REPLACEMENT IDEAS! new
      #103259 - 09/01/04 03:58 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

THANKS TO ALL FOR SOME GREAT IDEAS!!!!

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#103268 - 09/01/04 04:54 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I'm having trouble giving up the dairy too! I'm using Benecol Light, its completely dairy free and has 5 grams of fat compared to the 9 to 11 grams that I've seen in the soy butters. It tastes pretty good, very similar to I can't believe it's not butter. So far I haven't had any trouble with it.

Meg

#103385 - 09/02/04 06:13 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Our favorite brand is Earth Balance Soy Garden buttery spread . I use the one in the greeen container. My vegan friend found it and it is wonderful. We have been using it for almost a year and a half. I even asked my hubby if he wanted me to buy him some butter and he told me no as long as we have the Soy Garden around. You can even cook and bake with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2946

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review