All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SOY HELP
      #101364 - 08/25/04 03:14 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I think I am going to go shopping this weekend and where I have to go to get soy products ia about 40 min away. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me there favorite brands of soy products. I want to get some Cheese, Sourcream, Icecream, Butter ect ect.

I am trying to restock my kitchen so anthing else you can think would be helpfull. I am ordering heather's books next week (have to wait for pay day) but Inam hungry and feeling better so I want to try eating some more things
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SOY HELP new
      #101376 - 08/25/04 03:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Be careful with soy. I will warn you right now that if your body isn't used to it, going full-bore into using soy products might trigger an attack. Go slowly!

Also, READ LABELS. Not all soy products are safe by virtue of being soy. Some soy substitutes are VERY high in fat, like the margarine and sour cream. Others, like the cheeses, still contain dairy derivatives for texture - something that bothers some people, but not others.

The only soy product I'm using right now is margarine. I like Willow Run - it's buttery tasting, and it's the cheapest brand at my HFS.

#101385 - 08/25/04 04:27 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Heather- if your coming to Ann Arbor.. I am ok with a soy cheese we found at arbor farms- I can look at the name when I go down, its mozzarella flavored and not bad.. as well as some soy parmesan from there.. but I'm ok with soy in general. I prefer fat free soy milk by westsoy, but I get that at meijers actually... or rice milk.. I tried the soy garden spread once but got set off that night, not sure if its that or something else though... its kinda high fat, so may skip it for the most part except very small amounts... if you want-0 email me and I can try to meet you there depending on when (I am carless tomorrow most of the day as Bill's jeep is in the shop for a tune up after last night- it was closest to the fire and drove wierd today.)

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: SOY HELP/amie new
      #101390 - 08/25/04 04:47 PM
heather7476

I think we are going to try to head out there on sunday. I would love the help. I was going to try Trader Joes Or Whole foods unless you know of some place better. Yea if want to meet that would be great my family will be with me. So fair warning three year old will be present.LOL
This all depends on how I am how I am feeling and how you are feeling of course. I am so sorry about these fires YIKES. I will e mail you my phone number and we can figure out the detailes.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: SOY HELP Trader Joes new
      #101972 - 08/27/04 12:35 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I live in California so I'm not positive if they carry all the same items but Trader Joes is my main grocery store. The soy products I get there are: Soystation shredded cheese (great for pizza),Soy Milk, Toffuti Better than Cream cheese (still high in fat so only use a very small amt.), and Soy Delicious Ice Cream.

I shop there all the time here is a comprehensive list of food I know to be safe for me:

Sourdough sliced bread
Fresh Baguette
Plain Bagels
Luna Bars
Pretzels
Almond Meal
Almond Butter
Peanut Butter
Cherry Jam
Applesauce (unsweetened)
Hot & Sweet Mustard (like honey mustard)
No Pudge Brownie Mix
Bruschetta
Flour
Organic Sugar
Organic Maple Syrup
Jasmine White Rice
Pastas
Reduced Fat Mayonaise
Canola Oil
Spray Canola Oil and Spray Olive oil
Spices

Cold Stuff - not frozen
Pizza Dough
Pizza Sauce
Turkey Breast Cutlets
Soy Milk
Earth Balance Margerine
Eggs
Soy Yogurt (but they don't have vanilla which you need for the No Pudge Brownies)
SoyStation shredded cheese
Tufutti Better than Cream cheese
Soy Cheddar
Soy Mozarella

Frozen Stuff
Southwest Turkey Burgers
Shrimp
Soy Delicious "Ice Cream"
Tufutti Cuties
Green Beans (frozen ones are really thin and good)
Frozen strawberries, blueberries, pineapple for smoothies
Boneless skinless chicken breasts

Plus I get a lot of vegies like zucchini there too.

Hope that helps,
Leigh

#101999 - 08/27/04 02:17 PM
heather7476

Thanks so much. That will be realy helpfull when I go. I hope they carry the some of the same brands. I am realy looking forward to the soy icecream and cheese. YUMM
Thank you

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: SOY HELP/amie new
      #102116 - 08/28/04 04:01 AM
khyricat

I work so if its after 5:30, sure.. otherwise.. my big suggestion is to do those 2, then head west on state until you get to the shopping center just past the post office on your left... turn in there.. thats arbor farms.. if there is anything you didn't find elsewhere, and Meijers and Kroger doesn't carry, they will.. also if your Kroger doesn't, still further on the same road is Westgate shopping center and the krogers there has a ton of stuff, as does the Meijers out here at Jackson and Zeeb...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#102117 - 08/28/04 04:03 AM
khyricat

trader joes also has great tasting, yummy and good for us salmon burgers... I keep those in the freezer at all times.. I need to make a run now, but going to try to wait till next Thurs/Fri after paychecks go in..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#103248 - 09/01/04 02:09 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I buy either Vitasoy or WestSoy, soy mile they are delicious!
I also get Tufutti Better Than Cream Cheese, it's not as good as cream cheese, it's tollerable though.
I forgot the name of the Soy butter I get, but they do have non dairy soy butter spreads. This is actaully very good!
I buy Rice Dream ice cream, or Rainbow Soy or Soy Dream ice cream, they are so delicious, they taste almost exactly like ice cream!!! Yumm! Plus, it contains less fat, how great is that?!
I haven't bought the sour cream yet or sour cream, but I do know that they have tofutti or soy cream cheese and sour cream, I hear they are very good as well.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#103250 - 09/01/04 02:32 PM
heather7476

Thanks giving up my dairy is the hardest part of this diet for me I am praying I can find somthing to replace it with even if I only use it once in a while it's better than never. Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#103261 - 09/01/04 04:05 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Tofutti sour cream is the best replacement I've found.

#103386 - 09/02/04 06:21 AM
heather7476

Thanks Sara I will give it a try.

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review