All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
bread snack - gluten free
      #10091 - 05/27/03 07:31 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

For those of us looking for a quick bread for a snack, which is gluten free, I've recently found the following and have taste tested it three times now. I believe its OK and my husband and daughter will even eat it, which really says something. (They usually dislike intensely any breads which are gluten free.)

Fry Pan Bread

200g rice flour (corn flour is OK too)
50g soya flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup soy milk
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt - I personally leave this out

Sift the dry ingredients together, add the milk and egg whites and beat. Spray a medium sized non-stick fry pan with canola oil. Put burner on medium heat and pour in the mixture. It cooks just like a large pancake and takes about 4-5 minutes each side. (Do watch for burning).

If you can't get bi-card soda and cream of tartar, try baking power.

I find it good with just soya spread. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bevp

You can add spices and mixed fruit, (if you can tolerate them) or add more milk and some sugar for pancakes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bread snack - gluten free new
      #10141 - 05/28/03 12:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

This is GREAT! I'm just wondering--if you can't tolerate soy or eggs, can you use substitutes (I also can't use rice milk). Thanks bunches!!!!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#10187 - 05/28/03 08:19 PM
bevp

Ruchie,

I'm really sorry, but I don't know about the substitutes. What would you normally use instead of soy or rice milk?

I think this is one for Heather.

Just a thought but guar gum is used a lot in the commercial gluten free breads. This will help raise the bread and it may(?) help in binding it. You could ask at a good health food shop. Usually the proprietor is fairly knowledgeable.

Are you sure you can't eat egg whites? I know I can't tolerate eggs with the yolks. If so, what about adding mashed banana instead. I'll give this a try at the weekend.

Best wishes to you,

Bev

#10188 - 05/28/03 08:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

Bev,

Thanks so much! No, I can't eat egg whites...and no bananas either (I'm allergic to bananas they make my tongue tingle--and egg whites or any egg anything hurts my tummy! I haven't found a substitute yet--I'll let you know if I find one!) Thanks so much again! The bread sounds great! Enjoy it!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#10216 - 05/29/03 10:45 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

You could try almond or hazelnut milk...they are good substitutes...

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#10219 - 05/29/03 11:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

I will have to try that again...I'd forgotten about it, thanks! You always give such great advice!

I hope all's well with you!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#10247 - 05/29/03 03:42 PM
bevp

Ruchie,

I found an egg substitute yesterday in our local supermarket health section. Its a local product called egg-like. I'd be very surprised if you guys don't have a number of these type of products. The ingredients are :
potato starch, tapoica starch, vegetable gum (461), mineral salt (170,329), food acid (330).

You mix a heaped teaspoon with 30g of water to make up substitute for 1 egg. I used it to coat fish before dipping in polenta and it worked really well.

Could be worth a try if you can tolerate the ingredients. I'm really sorry I wasn't much help. I do hope this helps.

I also noticed there was oat milk there as well. We Aussies are told not to have oats (because of contamination with wheat in the processing). I notice the American Coliac Society says they are all right. You guys probably have better controls. Perhaps you could check out oat milk with your local coliac society?

I really hope this helps.

Regards,

Bev

#10266 - 05/29/03 08:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

Bev,

You're WONDERFUL--thank you SO MUCH! I'm very excited about the prospect of eating bread again!!!!!!!! I will have to try and make time this weekend to make it and to look for the egg substitute and oat milk or almond milk! How are you feeling nowadays? I hope things are super with you! Take care.....and thanks for all your help!

(((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#11154 - 06/09/03 12:22 PM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

another thing you can use instead of eggs - soy flour and water makes a good "glue" that acts similar to eggs in baked goods.

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Re: bread snack - gluten free (A BIG THANKS) new
      #11202 - 06/09/03 08:39 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Some of us are always looking for tried and true tested GF breads, so a million thanks for sharing this one. I've always been wheat allergic (but not gluten) so can do spelt or kamut flours (also oat and rye) but just stick with GF products since they are more readily available. Guar gum is a good substitute for gluten and in fact is what Benefiber is made of so you know it's all soluble fiber. Another substute for GF baking powder is Xantham gum but it often hard to find and a little pricey.
Below is a flour mix I resently ran across but haven't tried yet. If anyone gives it a try please report if it's any good.
Gluten free mix
flour mix:
1 lb. white rice flour
6 ounces potato starch (NOT the same as potato flour)

This is a handy formula for converting wheat containing recipes to GF.
Replace one cup of wheat flour with 7/8 cups of any combination of the above GF
flours. One tablespoon of each cup of GF flour should be potato flour.
Increase any leavening by 50 percent. When baking, cook at a lower
temperature for a longer time.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12188

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review