All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Sick person stigma! new
      #98451 - 08/15/04 12:47 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I get the "faking illness" accusation too!! I don't look sick (not underweight, etc.) so it's hard to get around the people who will generally think I'm acting lazy.

~nel~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#98467 - 08/15/04 01:28 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Nel,

I have a hard time convincing people I have a digestive problem because I'm overweight. I have some metabolic problems and have been on so many different meds over the years that led to massive weight gain. It was so hard to hang out with my friends since they always had pizza or some other equally unsafe food and they couldn't believe that I was always gaining weight since the only thing I ate in their presence was vegetables. Eating at home was hard too, since my brother still insits that my parents should cook like they normally would even though I can't eat any of it. He complains about suffering just because I'm sick. Somedays I wish he would get some nasty disease just so that he could understand how miserable my life has been for the past five years (I know, not nice, but I can't help feeling the 'why me' syndrome whenever he starts acking like a jerk.

Sorry, just needed to complain. You guys are great, I'm so happy I found this site since my parents won't let me complain. They feel that if I keep focusing on my problems I'll never get past them, blah blah blah. Sometimes you just need to vent! Why can't 'normal' people understand that?

Meg

Sickly person stigma new
      #98525 - 08/15/04 06:02 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I've been referred to as a "sickly person" by relatives which of course I just love.

#98526 - 08/15/04 06:06 PM
Nelly

I hear you big time, Meg. No one ever lets me complain here either, and I can't count the number of pizza parties I've made myself sick over, telling myself I'm so stupid, why did I eat that crap, I'm so sick now and it's all my fault. I've wished horrible diseases on all of my friends so that they'd know the pain I was going through and delighting myself with the image of them suffering (insert maniacal laughter here).

But it's all about the idea of suffering alone, that you *can't* make them understand. I really appreciate coming here and letting it all out. Rant away! I love reading the messages here because I am there and totally get it.

They say pain deepens empathy and hones your intellect and sense of humor. Down the line, those horrible people who peaked at 17 are going to be big nothings in the personality department. I've got a cousin who fits that description and let me tell you, it was hell growing up in her shadow, and now it is sweeeet being compared to her.

All my best,

~nel~

Re: Sickly person stigma new
      #98529 - 08/15/04 06:11 PM
Nelly

Yes, I too am "the sickie" which just makes me act as "normal" as possible (no, I'm fine, the food's great, thanks), and then I pay the price for it afterwards. I hate being the sick one.

~nel~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review