All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Looking for support
      #97540 - 08/11/04 02:28 PM
Amyhead

Reged: 01/10/04

I'm 33 and went back to school a few years ago and just graduated with my first degree. I haven't worked full time since 2001. I've worked from home and part time work since then. I got a job offer and the job starts on Monday. It is a really good opportunity, but I am scared. Primarily because of my IBS and how bad I feel sometimes. When you are at home you don't have to worry about too many visits to the throne or bloating and gas. If I have pain, I hook up the heating pad and sip my tea and relax. The afternoons are my worst time with my symptoms and I know I am going to have plenty of uncomfortable afternoons. So how do IBS people deal with work.

By the way, I will be commuting 40 minutes one way. No running home for lunch... stuck there all day! Yuck. As you can tell, I am very excited. lol

Well, hopefully I will get some words of wisdom.

Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looking for support new
      #97557 - 08/11/04 02:58 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Congratulations on the new job! That's great!!

Is it an office job, where you can make yourself tea and keep snacks in your desk?

Did you know they have adhesive self heating pads now? I've worn them to work or put them on at work as needed. Here's a picture. This one's cheaper but you need to wear something you can stick it to:

This one just wraps around and closes with velcro:

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#97559 - 08/11/04 02:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't have any words of wisdom for you, I'm afraid - I work from home now. But there are lots of folks on here who DO manage it, and I'm sure they'll have all kinds of tips for you. I really just wanted to say hi and welcome, because I don't think I did that yet!

#97563 - 08/11/04 03:03 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Amy,

I understand how you feel. My situation is just the opposite, though. I was working and now I'm only working on a very limited pt time basis. But....when I was working I always carried my meds to work with me. Took Imodium for D and Phazyme for gas. Sometimes, when I was really busy I didn't even have time to think about my tummy. It was kinda like a headache...it's just there.

Be sure to take your meds with you and maybe try to eat safe foods for a few days before you start. If there's nothing there safe to eat take something from home. Maybe you will have a lunch room so you can put your feet up and relax with the heating pad during lunch.

I hope everything turns out OK for you. I know you must be anxious.

Barbie

--------------------

#97566 - 08/11/04 03:07 PM
Amyhead

Oh, I'm sure I will be a walking drugstore. lol I am very anxious. Thanks for your advice! I wish I could keep just working my part time jobs, but the money just isn't there. This new job is a really good opportunity!

#97569 - 08/11/04 03:12 PM
Amyhead

It is an office job. I've thought about trying those pads. Didn't have to here, but now I guess I should buy some. I've bought a big tote so that I can carry all my tea, snacks, meds and heating pads. I'm also trying to figure out how I can use my loose peppermint and fennel to make large batches of tea for a thermos. I guess I could buy several tea balls and a kettle, but I'm wondering about the tea ball to water ratio.

#97582 - 08/11/04 04:00 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Have you thought of puting the loose tea in a coffee filter (one of the one designed for a large drip coffee pot) and tying it with some string. That way you could use as much tea as you needed without having to buy more tea balls. As for the water to tea ratio, figure out how much tea do you generally use for one cup, then figure out how many cups are in the thermos. If you mess up the ratio the first time, you can always try again.

Meg

#97597 - 08/11/04 04:30 PM
Amyhead

That is a really great idea!! Thanks for your input. I will definitely be trying that this weekend.

How us working IBS'rs do it........ new
      #97635 - 08/11/04 07:01 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

So how do IBS people deal with work..........I've had IBS for most of my working life (15 years or so). I can tell you it's TOUGH . My bad time is in the morning and let me tell you there are many a mornings that I've gotten up, taken a shower, had what feels like 900 BM's and then went to work feeling like crap. But I do it and the only thing that helps me is that I know that by the afternoon my symptoms will be pretty much gone. I would love to just crawl back into bed, put the heating pad on and just lay there and "woah is me". But I can't. I too am one of those people that HAS to work to live the lifestyle that we created for ourselves. I can tell you though that if I stayed home and didn't have to make myself get up and get moving, I'd lay around all day on a bad IBS day and get nothing done. I don't want to offend any stay home moms by no means (cause I can honestly say that staying home with my kids is a harder job than my office job). But if I had the opportunity to stay home I can guarantee you that I would get nothing done on the days that I had bad IBS. I think you just fall into that mode when you don't have anywhere to go or anywhere to be. It would be easy to do.

I have an neighbor who stays home who has IBS along with other issues and if she's had a bad IBS night before or morning she will lay on that couch ALL day until her kids get home from school ! Because she can. She has no job or reason to have to get off the couch. Now that's just her and again, I'm not saying all stay at home moms can do this (her kids are old enough and both go to elementary school). She will complain that she was SO sick and could not do anything. I on the other hand felt the same way she did when she got up but I went to work. I think sometimes going to work actually helps me to feel better. It takes my mind off my IBS. (Of course I have free reign of a potty too which helps).

Now for you Amy, since your bad times are in the afternoon I would naturally eat non IBS trigger lunches everyday, keep your tea handy and just keep your mind set too that it will pass and hopefully for you the evenings are when you are symptom free. You can do it. It takes some learning how to cope but believe me, in the end, I think it's for the best to keep the mind off the IBS and what better to do that with......WORK! Good luck.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#97669 - 08/11/04 11:25 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Amy,

Congratulations on the new job. I make sure that I always have peppermint caps, SFS, tea and immodium with me when I am at work. At first the people I work with thought I was crazy but they are now used to me and my stomach. I always bring my lunch and it is always something safe. I also keep fat free saltines and applesause at work.

There are days when I feel bad but most of the time I am busy and I don't think about my stomach. I used to work 10-4 and I would have plenty of time to eat breakfast and relax before leaving for work. Now I work earlier and I take my breakfast with me and eat at work.

Once you get into a routine and have the safety of all your meds, etc. you will be fine. Most of the time just knowing that I have what I need in case my tummy starts hurting is enough for me to feel pretty good.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

#97695 - 08/12/04 05:47 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

another suggestion is if you have a fine sieve strainer (we do) to make the tea just loose int he pot of water.. when your ready to pour it in the thermos pour it through the strainer... works great...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#97697 - 08/12/04 05:51 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

good luck- positive thoughts headed your way....

I work full time- a few things:

take your meds, teas, etc... and some safe snack foods and such and if you have a drawer keep some there- saves on carrying back and forth... I keep cheerios and luna bars as well as tea supplies and whatever I pack for my meals- sometimes parts aren't refrigerated....

every job has breaks and lunches- if yours aren't scheduled for you- make your schedule around your eating times.. if they are... make sure you can eat on them.. I get 2 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch, and I eat on each one every day... the breaks are smaller snacks- sometimes a luna bar, or other safe snack... and then I eat lunch...

Another thing- if you can't easily run to the bathroom wihtout interrupting your day (my job is tied to a phone- I do telephone support, and our stats are calculated on when we're available to be on the phone), consider talking quietly to a supervisor or HR person about the extra bathroom time and options... or being located NEAR the bathroom... I've done both at different times...

Also- try to stay relaxed, and good luck.. you'll do fine.. I make tea there.. but a thermos at least for the first day is a good idea...

Amie in MI

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#97699 - 08/12/04 05:59 AM
renee585

Reged: 08/12/04

I am new to this message board and new to the computer. I am an IBSD sufferer and I feel like I am losing it. I used to love doing fun things and now I have to force myself to leave the house. It is difficult to stay home with 3 children all in sports etc. I need to get rid of my anxiety. HELP!!!!!

#97721 - 08/12/04 08:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Congrats on the new job! I work for an optometrist and its just me and the dr. I can't just call in sick when my tummy is bad because there is no one to call! This is what I do. First, be sure to have SEVERAL COMFORTABLE outfits for the bad bloating days. I don't know what your dress code is but the only thing worse than a bad tummy ache, is a bad tummy ache with too tight of clothes on! Also, you can by therma care heating pads for your tummy. You can get them at the drug store by the feminine products. They are made for menstrual cramps but work great for IBS! Wear a long shirt or jacket and no one can even tell you are using one! Keep pretzels or other snacks on hand and don't over eat at lunch! Try to walk around a little after you, especially if you will be sitting down a lot for your job!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#97781 - 08/12/04 11:02 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, Renee and do not despair!! You're in the right place! We've all been where you're at and have gotten much better. You can too!!

I would suggest that you click on the link that says Post and start a new message to introduce yourself so everyone sees it. The best place to do that is on the IBS Diet board itself. Here in the Living Room we usually chat about other things! Thanks for posting and keep coming back, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Ditto Lisa new
      #97792 - 08/12/04 11:45 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

My mornings too, are my hardest times. If fact if I can make it thru the first 2-3 hours in the morning, the rest of the day is relatively symptom free. My husband and I own a business and many mornings I struggle to get out to the car to ride the 1/2 hr trip into work. So often, my hubby will say, 'Why don't you just stay home this am and come in later?" However, like you, if I can at all move, it helps me to stay busy and keep my mind off how rotten I feel. And like you, I have access to the potty any time I want it. I'm still trying to figure out why my colon has such a hard time getting going in the mornings. If you ever figure it out, let me know...
Janene

#97905 - 08/12/04 05:51 PM
Amyhead

Everybody, thank you so much for all your input and advice. I've gotten a lot of good ideas here. I'm still frightened of this change, but hopefully it won't be so bad.

Thank you all!!

#97941 - 08/12/04 09:22 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Hi Amy,
Congrats on work!! I own my own business which is a large retail grocery store. It's tough at times and I work six days a week about 10hr days. I have three children a husband and two dogs and IBS-A. I too make sure I have plenty of IBS safe snacks for the day. I carry tea bags with me and always have a stash of immodiom or pepto, just in case. The hardest thing for me is finding time to have a good meal at the same time everyday. I usually snack eat throughout the day. My IBS always acts up at night, when it's time to settle down. So I beeen making sure I now eat my last meal no later than 7pm and around a hour before bed time I have a cup of chamomile and peppermeint tea and relax. within the hour I'm feeling much better and ready for a restful night. You can manage to work and have IBS.
But if some people can't...and that's okay...my mom couldn't work for years. The best thing is to try and find a solution, by doing something that is comfortable for you.
I know we have to work to live...I just developed Ibs a year ago... My mom has started a new job and is even going to college...yeah and she is always IBS d lately...I look up to her because she doesn't stop and I know if she can do it so can I. Bottom line is will power...It sucks we are stuck with this for the rest of our lives ..sooo..Don't worry be happy and I know you'll love your new job...Have fun and enjoy life!!
Sherri

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review