All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Looking for some advice, something to send to friend who just had preemie baby...
      #94976 - 08/01/04 06:30 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Some of you may remember I posted awhile back looking for baby shower ideas because a friend of mine was going to have a baby shower and it was my first one. Well, you guys all gave me awesome suggestions so I thought I'd throw this one out there as well.

I just got an email from her hubby saying she went into labor on the weekend (almost five weeks early) and that the baby was born this weekend (a bit before the shower). I can't really go and visit her because I'm sick so I don't think they'll want me around (unless kidney infections aren't contagious...I'm not exactly sure).

So, I'd like to send something over to her house for when she gets home. They said the baby was having some trouble with his lungs, so I don't know if flowers are appropriate, but any ideas would be great. Nothing big as I do still have a gift for her for the shower, but I would to send her a little something.

Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looking for some advice, something to send to friend who just had preemie baby... new
      #94989 - 08/01/04 08:04 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey Kelly,
First of all I think its sweet of you to be thinking of your friend while you're feeling so sick. You sound like an awesome friend!
Anyway...since you've got the present (for the baby I assume) for the shower, and I understand that flowers may not be "appropriate" because of the complications (however I still think they would be a nice gesture, with a "I'm thinking of you card" perhaps.)
Another possibility is that maybe you could put together a little care package for your friend (if you can think of anything particular she likes) - just a few small things for HER, since she must be pretty stressed right now, happy of course, but worried also I'm sure. As a new mother shes probably so focused on doing everything right for the baby that shes probably not worrying about herself so I'm sure she would love a little something Anyway just a thought!
Hope the baby and her are both all right!
You take care too!

Re: Looking for some advice, something to send to friend who just had preemie baby... new
      #94990 - 08/01/04 08:05 PM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

That's a tough question to answer,because you really want to send something but what if the baby doesnt make it? Hopefully,god willing,everything goes well for this baby and it turns out okay. My suggestion would probably be a package of premie diapers or possibly a Premie outfit to bring the baby home from the hospital in/or have its first photo's taken in.Maybe a card offering a meal when they get home.That is all i can think of at the moment.I sure hope everything turns out okay for their little one.

Some ideas: new
      #95001 - 08/01/04 08:46 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I would suggest a nice bath package for her. Maybe some bubble bath, lotions etc for her to pamper herself in the bath. I have found that sometimes is my only refuge. A few minutes in the tub with a good book.

Or you could send her a fruit basket or maybe a basket with some quick to make meals until she gets her "energy" back to make real meals.

Or you could do a gift certificate to a photo studio for her to use when for the little one when she is ready.

Or you could do a combination of it all.

Congratulations to your friend! 5 weeks is early, but "they" do say the baby will be ok. I am sure the little one will be fine.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Some ideas: new
      #95007 - 08/01/04 08:56 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Hi there! Well that baby will be just fine! My brothes baby was born at 28 weeks....pregnancies are 40 weeks. He was in the hospital for a few months, but he did live!

I know that some kinds of plants bring oxygen into rooms....so that might be a good thing. I had a friend that had lots of plants in her babies bedroom....she told me it helped with the oxygen. So that might be a good idea. You could ask someone at the flower or plant shop.

I do think that the ideas of a gift for her would be good too. Bath stuff is great. Or even some pedicure stuff would be fun.

Good luck!

--------------------

#95013 - 08/01/04 10:36 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Kelly, I know you stated earlier that you are in the middle of a move and cash is scarce.

Everyone had great ideas, just a thought. I think this and every pregnancy should be treated as if the baby IS going to grow, be healthy and come home soon. It would make the Mom feel stronger to know others have great wishes for her babe. Flowers are always a great thing to send, always. I am sure with a preemie her expenses are steep also. If you can afford it, cash is a great gift. Or even a gift card, from Target or Wal-Mart. It doesn't have to be a large sum, just however much you had planned to spend on a gift. IT doesn't matter how much or how little you can give, she knows its the thought that counts. Every little bit will help her, I promise. She will be so thankful.

I recently gave a gift card to a friend, she called me and told me she was out of perfume and the gift couldn't have come at a better time, she didn't have the money to get it before hand. It was great to know she could get something she really wanted ! And I didn't have to worry about what to give her. Hope the babe is doing better!

#95017 - 08/01/04 11:40 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Kelly,

If the baby is tiny, your friend might not even have clothes that fit! An outfit or two might be a sweet gesture. OR you could combine the ideas here and get something small for mom and an outfit for baby.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#95248 - 08/03/04 05:54 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

How about a little stuffed bear or something like that? IT's inexpensive to buy and mail.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I'm not gonna be a lot of help, but... new
      #95282 - 08/03/04 08:29 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have a girlfriend that gave birth 3 months premature due to an incompetent cervix. One of the gals that we work with had someone make a very detailed and realistic replica of the baby (size, color, everything), so that she could always have a memory of all of it. (other than pictures) It was a HUGE hit. In fact, since it's been close to 2 years since, and he's growing like a weed, she brought the doll to work and showed it off about a month ago. It's really neat to see his progress.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: I'm not gonna be a lot of help, but... new
      #95292 - 08/03/04 09:02 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04

lol Rachel...why is that not helpful? What a cute idea!!!

Infant Massage new
      #95542 - 08/04/04 11:40 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hi there,

Have you thought about a book on infant massage? Massaging healthy babies are supposed to be so good for them let alone a preemie who may have other complications. Massage will help baby to grow, eat better, feel better, sleep better and it's a good way for parents to bond with their new baby. They have lots of paperback books on this. I took a short class on this at work and it was amazing all the ways it helped babies.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 438 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review