All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A special blessing this week
      #92365 - 07/22/04 02:56 PM
ag5t

Reged: 03/11/03
Loc: Houston, Texas

My little girl had her sixth birthday this week. Not bad for a little girl who wasn't supposed to live. Emily has Trisomy 18 and cannot speak. She is severely retarded both mentally and physically. However, she has overcome many odds and continues on in life. She is fed by a g-tube. She is not supposed to walk, but with a special walker she can take about 10 steps. My 10-year-old son was diagnosed a few years ago with a form of autism. So I have 2 special children. I hope that means I am special since you might need a special person to take care of special needs children. Anyway, I thought I would share some happiness with everyone.
Marty

--------------------
Amateur radio IS a contact sport!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes, you are a very, very, very special person. -nt- new
      #92369 - 07/22/04 03:03 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Marty new
      #92380 - 07/22/04 03:19 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That is very special---and it sounds like your children have a very special father in you! Raising children with needs like yours have must be very tough. I have worked in a special needs kindergarten classroom. That was exhausting work, and I was only with them part of the day.
Happy birthday to your daughter!

Awww! new
      #92386 - 07/22/04 03:37 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

marty, you ARE most definately special to love and care for your children the way you do! I am sure that there is a reason why they came into your life .
As for your son, what is the name for his condition? I am just curious, my little bro has a form of autism, too...it's called Asbergers (sp?). I was supposed to go see a speaker on it, but had school and couldn't go. He appears to be a normal kid, but he still seems "different". I am actually not sure if he was officially diagnosed, but this did not come about until his early teen years.
just curious, and happy birthday to your daughter!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: A special blessing this week new
      #92396 - 07/22/04 05:01 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I cannot even put into words how I feel about people like you! I have a passion for working with handicapped children, I did it all through high school and college. I also did therapy for autistic kids. I think autism is SO interesting, and I LOVE working with those kids.

You should be so proud! You sound like an amazing father. I love stories like this and I hope your daughter has many more happy birthdays!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#92440 - 07/22/04 08:15 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

You sound like a fantastic father, Marty, and I'm so happy that your children were blessed with you! I hope your daughter has a fantastic birthday!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: Awww! new
      #92477 - 07/23/04 06:24 AM
ag5t

Reged: 03/11/03
Loc: Houston, Texas

My son may have a form of Asperger's Syndrome. He looks and acts pretty much like a regular 10-year-old boy except that he does not like to socialize with other boys and girls. He keeps to himself. He also does not like to watch tv, but loves the computer and watching video. He likes running the video in slow motion. He also repeats many things. He eats and talks, etc etc so it's not as noticeable as a child that doesn't talk and is not fully functional. My son, Sammy, was tested through his school district. My wife and I were told that autism has many forms and is quite complicated. So we've attended sessions about things related to autistic children. One thing about Sammy is that he does not like athletics. Have you ever heard of a dad begging his son to go outside and play catch? I do take him to our neighborhood swimming pool. He just has certain things about him that are different - he goes to mostly regular classes at school with a little help in some areas such as speech and social skills. The best thing one can do is take on challenges one challenge at a time.
Marty

--------------------
Amateur radio IS a contact sport!

Re: Awww! new
      #92480 - 07/23/04 06:32 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

That sounds just like this boy Ryan I used to work with. He wasn't big on sports either, until they gave him a golf club and ball and let him hit it around in the backyard. He is out there ALL the time now. He doesn't like tv much either, but you can't tear him away from the computer games. He is SO smart. I remember before he could even read, I would read him a short story and he would take the book and say 'My turn', and recite it right back to me. It amazed me. Ryan had a huge problem with eye contact though, and it doesn't sound like your boy does? I worked for a couple years with him on that and he is much better now. He's going to regular school and everything. He's 10 now too. I worked with him when he was 3-6.

Anyways, your boy is adorable. Thanks for sharing your story!

--------------------
~Cara~

#92483 - 07/23/04 06:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You *are* special, and your kids are lucky to have you. Happy birthday to your little girl!

ag5t new
      #92486 - 07/23/04 06:38 AM
BL

Another one of our IBS posters, Michelle, has a son who has Asperger's. She hasn't posted in awhile. (Different from the Michele with only one "l".) Wish you could correspond with her. Last year she was dealing with whether to put him in the regular classroom in public school---or in a special needs class. I wonder how he is doing.
She's the one from Charlotte, NC. You ladies remember her?

Michelle - Where'd she go? new
      #92527 - 07/23/04 09:10 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I remember Michelle! In fact, as I was reading Marty's post, I was going to recommend he do a search since she had a lot of posts with Asperger's information.

Thanks for sharing your news about your daughter, Marty! I went to your website a couple months ago and was in awe of her story, as well as how adorable she is!

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Marty- that's my brother! new
      #92532 - 07/23/04 09:22 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

He is very intelligent, but just zones out in front of video games or his computer and is soooo uncordinated that trying to get him to do any physical activity is tough. Now that he is older, it has taken it's toll on him (he is now obese, when he used to be a string bean like me and the rest of our family).
He has trouble concentrating and stutters really bad when he talks, he gets lost in his sentences. It takes alot of patience to talk to him sometimes! It is hard for him to make friends, and it always makes me happy if I hear he went over a friend's house or something.
I am sure that your son is as much as a sweetheart as my brother!

--------------------
-Sheri

Marty's website? new
      #92541 - 07/23/04 09:42 AM
BL

What website? Did I miss something?

#92548 - 07/23/04 10:02 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I think that as parents who have children with special needs the "milestones" they cross are more profound. My daughter had Sensory Integration disorder but by the grace of God, she has been off of her medication for 4 years and has had few meltdowns.

I let her ride a plane (nonstop) of course for the first time this summer at age 10...this is something that I couldn't have even considered two years ago. I am so proud of her.

God gave you your precious children for a reason...I am so thankful that you see the blessings. Your kids are blessed to have you.

In his profile... new
      #92552 - 07/23/04 10:09 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just click the link above his picture to get to his profile.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1990

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review