All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
Anti-depressants new
      #89950 - 07/14/04 12:23 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Having gone off anti-depressants myself a couple of months ago, I understand the desire not to go through life medicated. HOWEVER, depression runs in my family. The thing is that depression comes from real chemical imbalances, and medicine can correct that.

I'm doing fine right now without medication, but I have promised myself that if things get back to where they were I will go back on them. My take is that the damage to my body from being psychologically distresed is probably worse than the damage being on an anti-depressant was.

There's no shame in being on them!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sheri01 new
      #89953 - 07/14/04 12:28 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Yes depression does mess with your mind! I hate it with a purple passion! They say a lot of folks are hit with depression in their early 20s and I think it is because that is when you get out and find out what the world is really about. It kicks your teeth in at times! Then you start dealing with childhood and for me is was sort of like flashbacks. It took me four years to put pieces together from my past. I recommend taking meds if you need them FOR SURE! ZOLFT SAVED MY LIFE AT ONE POINT. But when you don't need them, they may make you feel more depressed. It is all about knowing your body I suppose. I am still learning about the illness daily. I truley want to be a survivor and not the victim anymore! My mom, grandma and great grandma had depression. My mom told me for years, you have to fight it Davina. Gosh it is a hard battle to fight let me tell you. Some days I would rather someone just beat me up physically then to have the emotional breakdowns. Ick!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: Peaches new
      #89956 - 07/14/04 12:33 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I'm 16, and I've been on it actually since I was about 14 and a half....I think. It was around then. I've never had any weird symptoms with Paxil, although when I first went on it my friends told me that my usually cheery personality faded away fro abotu two weeks, then it returned. I was offeredZoloft, but my mom's friend gained an enormous amount of weight while she was on it, and I didn't want that to happen! So the doctor assured me that Paxil would be just fine and that when my life got into a better place, I could take myself off it. That reflection thing is scary, though - I woulda been freaked out! My mom has the PMDD thing and is on Estroven, but I'm not sure if or how that works for her.
Holla back!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: ChristineM new
      #89957 - 07/14/04 12:36 PM
Wookie

I agree 100% with that. And like you, I am keeping an open mind. I know when I need them. It is all about learning about your body and emotions and filling them out every day. It is work!! I just hope that I can help anyone through anything I can so that when I need help, someone will be there for me!

--------------------
~Wookie

#89968 - 07/14/04 01:03 PM
Wookie

Yeah when I looked in the mirror, I just saw a big blur. It was no fun! It was like I had a jar of vasoline in my eye! LOL! I am glad paxil is working for you. Just stick with it and always be aware of how you feel and how you are doing. A friend told me once, you will find your wellness. And you will just know. I finally did and learned that she DID know what she was talking about afterall. I never could understand until I got there. Things take time and we all get smarter everyday. You hang in there! Hehe! My mom always says she is a hanger!

--------------------
~Wookie

#89982 - 07/14/04 01:21 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Yes, I am getting better now, and I plan to quit within the next year or so if everything keeps going as well as it is now. Thanks for your care and concern

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: No problem at all!! -nt- new
      #89984 - 07/14/04 01:23 PM
Wookie

--------------------
~Wookie

Re:Beaglelover.. new
      #90107 - 07/14/04 05:35 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh stop! If those pitbulls show up at my door I'm gonna sick my golden retriever after them Yeah right....my golden wouldn't even bite a robber

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I just read this now, months later! How did I miss this thread? new
      #141465 - 01/23/05 08:12 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Wow, you guys! You're all so brave and I commend you all.

I just wanted to say that you're all so great that nothing can change my mind. Plus, I'm very open-minded and don't care if someone's gay, have Bev's condition, used to be addicted to drugs, had an affair, etc. That's life!

Hugs to you all.

Wow I missed this too new
      #141504 - 01/23/05 11:01 AM

Unregistered

But I agree with Sara-Sage, reading some of these just makes me respect and love you all that much more. It's incredible to see what some of you have been through and been able to overcome. I'm just speechless at some of these stories but just can't say enough how great it is that you can share these and it is an inspiration. I might have shared my secret if I'd seen this back when it was going on.

But again, just want to say how incredible you all are and I feel even more love and respect for everyone.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 218246

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review