All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
OH BEV!! new
      #89472 - 07/13/04 01:43 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

A well-known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20.00 bill. In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?" Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this. He proceeded to crumple up the $20 dollar bill. He then asked, "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air. Well, he replied, "What if I do this?" And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?" Still the hands went into the air. My friends, we have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20. Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless. But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value. Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who DO LOVE you. The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know, but by WHO WE ARE. You are special- Don't EVER forget it."

Bev, I thought of you when I read this post from Kree. You did'nt do anything to deserve the cards you were dealt! That's just how God intended it. You've probably heard this before, but I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe if you were born any other way, something worse would have happened. I know we've only known eachother for a short time, but I think you are a wonderful person!!!! I always look forward to your posts because you know how to put a smile on my face.
{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Story cont. and forgiveness new
      #89473 - 07/13/04 01:45 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

I forgave my mom when it happened. Then as I got to be a teen, I felt a lot of hate for her. I never really brought it up but was just hateful towards her mainly. See after my grandma commited suicide, my mom moved back to Texas with David. That was hard to swallow but I barely understood what had happened to my grandma. My mom left me with a friend of the family and it didn't work out long before she called my dad to come and get me. Then I would have to come over to her house and call my mom and act as if I was still living with her. My mom eventaully found out that I was with my dad and came to his house. He was so furious with my mother's actions that he offered a certain amount of money to her to get her out of my life for good. She took me away immediatly and I didn't see him until I was a teen. My dad and I have never had much of a relationship because of those lost years.

My mom was molested by her uncle her entire life and raped at the age of 20 by another man. I am not sure but I think deep down my mom didn't want to believe that she allowed that to happen to her own child. In my opinion, she didn't allow it..it happened without her knowing. She is very sorry now and I have forgiven her. I know my mom loves me with her entire being because she has spent many years showing me. My mom is my best friend. She is my rock today. It is hard for people to understand I am sure. Forgiving her helps me to live a happy life today if that makes any sense. Thanks for your response. I feel some relief already.

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: Your Deepest, Darkest Secret? new
      #89476 - 07/13/04 01:55 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Here's my deepest darkest secret....but I already poured it all out on here months ago so this is just a repeat to those who have read it already:

Quote:

The last thing I thought I'd ever be doing is pouring out my heart on a message board. I'm not usually one to talk about my feelings....maybe I've kept everything bottled up too long and that's why I'm crashing right now.

This whole childhood thing today really got to me. I've never really talked to anyone about how things were when I was growing up.

I was pretty young when my dad died. I didn't get to know him as much as I would have liked...but I have really great memories of him.

After he died my mom had a lot of different guys around. I don't really remember anyone specific until she met my step-dad. He had a really huge drug problem. He did heroine and a bunch of other stuff. By the time I was 9 my mom was an addict.

I guess cause I was really young and vulnerable it never even crossed my mind to ask anyone for help.

My mom got pregnant and they married soon after that...which was about the same time that the son of a family friend started to sexually abuse me. This went on for a couple years....until one day it just stopped for no apparent reason. I was too scared to tell anyone...and I still haven't told anyone yet (except you guys now).

My half-brother was born when I was 10 years old and my parents just weren't capable of taking care of a child. So my grandmother took care of him during the day and then after school and on weekends I took care of him. Everyone in my family knew the conditions we were living in but never did anything to help us. I still don't know why. So I raised my little brother as best I could.

When I was about 14/15 my parents drug addiction got really bad and they became physically abusive. I would say one thing that they didn't like and would end up bruised and bleeding. I tried as hard as I could to take it all and protect my brother. I'd rather take 100 beatings than have him take even one.

After the abuse got too horrible I went to The Children's Aid Society. They took my brother and I out of my parents house and we stayed with my grandparents for a month or so and then finally we were forced to go back home (my parents were good at pretending everything was just wonderful) and so I went home and counted the days until I was 16 and I could leave that horrible place.

On my 16th birthday I packed my stuff and left home. My family members didn't want to help me cuz they thought that I should have stayed at home. I had no place to go...I slept in a phone booth for a week and stayed on and off with friends until my grandmother finally realized that I wasn't going home. I moved in with her for a year...but felt so guilty about leaving my poor brother behind.

After about a year my dad decided to go to rehab and get off the drugs. I went home for a visit and saw a huge change in him so I agreed to move back in (and I couldn't stand being apart from my brother any longer).

It turned out that my mom had no interest in gettting sober so my dad moved out with my brother and told me I could move in with them if I wanted to. I felt too guilty leaving my mom behind by herself so I stayed. I guess I still had this niave idea in my head that maybe she could change...that all I needed to do was stick by her and she could do it. I was terribly wrong. She got worse and worse until one night she tried to strangle me and I left at 3am to go to my dad's and never went back.

After I moved in with my dad things were actually normal. He was getting sober and was actually a real dad!! I remember the first time he bought me balloons on my 18th birthday...I cried so hard cuz I was so happy he was atually sober and capable of doing these things for his family.

My mom has never gotten better unfortunately. She still has a serious drug problem. She stops calling us for months at a time and then calls up one day like nothing ever happened. My brother is now 13 years old and I know it hurts him so much that his mother is not capable of loving him like she should. I'm constantly trying to protect him...I buy him presents at christmas and put her name on them so he won't be hurt that she didn't get him anything. Maybe I shouldn't do that...but I just can't stand the thought of my brother being hurt. He's been through enough as it is.

I can't seem to let go of my feelings about my mother. I feel like I hate her so much for what she puts us through...but at the same time I still love her and feel sorry for her and part of me yearns for a relationship with her. I know it could never happen....but for some reason I just can't let it go. I allow her to hurt me over and over again and I still keep forgiving her. I worry about my brother every single day...and it hurts me so much that she makes so many promises to him that she can't keep...and just the look of disapointment and hurt on his face...it tears my up.

I have managed to finish university and have a full-time job and am enrolled in a graduate course...so I've always got lots to keep me occupied...but I guess sometimes (like today) I just break down and don't know what to do or who to talk to. I feel like there's nobody who can understand me....

Anyway...thanks for listening...I've never actually told anyone any of this stuff before...I may chicken out and delete this later...but I think it's helped just getting all that stuff out.

So there it is....it turns out I'm not as strong as I pretend to be all the time....I've become an expert at playing the "I always have everything under control" act....but I'm working on it....just promise not to tell anyone!!!

Re: Surviving new
      #89479 - 07/13/04 02:01 PM
Wookie

Thanks for your response! I do feel that I have finally moved from being the victim to the survior in the past year. I have stuggled with major depression for the past 4 years and it has let up in the past few months. I quit the anti-depressants and everything which was really scary for me because I couldn't function without them. Tears would flow out of my eyes and I wouldn't even be upset. It was uncontrollable. I think it was from having to be so strong as a child that once I was a young adult my body and emotions just broke down for a while. Years without crying at all and then going to crying when I wasn't sad all the time. It has been a journey but I am a better person for it. I want to be a therapist someday so I can help others who suffered through these types of situations. Thanks again!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: Thanks so much for the kind words -nt- new
      #89480 - 07/13/04 02:04 PM
Wookie

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: LauraSue new
      #89481 - 07/13/04 02:07 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Cath, Thank you, THANK You, THANK YOU!!! I knew there had to be someone else on the board who's gay, just by law of averages! I'm SO glad you and your best friend discovered your love for one another. Congratulations on your three years together and on buying a house together. That is SO totally awesome.

And actually as you probably know, it was harder BEFORE I realized I was gay. I was confused, angry, and unhappy. When I finally figured it out (at the age of 42 or so -- I'm what's known as "a late-blooming lesbian!") it was SUCH a relief. It suddenly made sense of my entire life!! I was just THRILLED about it!! I've come out to many friends and co-workers and just this year told my mom, who was wonderful about it. My sister and brother don't know yet, because I'd like to tell them in person. I'm seeing my sister later this month and I hope will have the opportunity to talk to her about it.

I do love Andy. That's the funny thing. He's my soul mate, my best friend, my boon companion, sweet, supportive, funny and smart -- he's just the wrong freakin' gender!! Even if he is a little dense about why we're not having sex!!

Anyway, Cath, thanks again! You rock!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#89484 - 07/13/04 02:20 PM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

LauraSue, I can't imagine being in your position. It has to be so frustrating. While I admire your committment to Andy, do you intend to never act on your desires?

I am so glad that your family has been supportive. It makes it so much easier. I have quite a few gay friends, some of whom their families were supportive and some not.

I think you are very strong and I have the utmost respect for you. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to tell your husband.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#89490 - 07/13/04 02:25 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I know what you mean about loving someone - you can love people totally and not be attracted to them, but they are the best friend you could have in the world. I have male friends who I can see would be a perfect catch .. but that attraction just isn't there.

Personally, before I admitted it to myself, I just thought I was kind of asexual - didn't feel anything for anyone. Tara (my gf) is the only person, male or female, I've ever been with and I didn't get together with her until I was 24. My family was actually happy when I told them as they couldn't work out why I was so unhappy/hadn't dated anyone. they thought it was because I was shy and underconfident. The first thing my elderly grandparents did was invite Tara on holiday - now THATs cool!!

I just wish the rest of the world was so understanding, then you can stop pretending. I always get so jealous when I see couples together in parks etc as I think - why can't I do that. Perhaps I could, but I do't think I'm that confident and I know it upsets some people!!

Perhaps the most surprising thing for me is that we're all just normal people - not these scary butch sterotypes that you get thrown at you through the media as you grow up. My sisters boyfriend says that we have ruined all his lesbian fantasies because we are just a normal happy couple, regardless of gender.

Anyway, I've waffled on long enough ... I'm going to bed for a few hours of insomnia, before I have to drag myself off to the hell that is work!

If you ever fancy a chat I'm pretty much always around the boards - I've become completly addicted as you have all helped me through some rough times.

Take care,

Catherine

Re: WOW! new
      #89491 - 07/13/04 02:26 PM
Wookie

Jeez!! Your a trooper!! Your brother is lucky to have you in his life. I bet if I looke up strong female in the dictionary, I would see your pretty picture. I admire you for being so brave to share your experience, especially since it was your first time to share.

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: Very good
      #89499 - 07/13/04 02:37 PM
Wookie

Wow that was an amazing story to share! I totally agree with what you are saying about depression. It is dark and ugly, I have been there. My grandma killed herself and my mom has attempted many, many times. When I was going through my depression which is what they call 'major depression' I wanted to die too. I didn't have the strength to do it though. I would just pray that God would take me some how. I just didn't want to live. I felt like the girl I was, was dead now. Still to this day, 4 years later, I am not quite the same girl. Life is tough and we change all the time. Thanks for sharing. Your story gave me goosebumps..especially when you prayed to God and he answered.

--------------------
~Wookie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 218243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review