Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Advice for Pink Eye?
      #83782 - 06/27/04 03:36 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey,

I'm hoping someone can give me some helpful information. My doctor told me on Friday that I've got pink eye in both eyes, and I've been using antibiotic drops since Friday afternoon and my eyes are no better. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes before you start seeing improvement?

Also, how long are you contagious for? I know with most illnesses once you start taking antibiotics they say after 24 hours you're not contagious, but someone told me that they thought as long as your eyes were still weeping you were contagious.

Anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice for Pink Eye? new
      #83981 - 06/28/04 08:14 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Yikes! Pinkeye is the worst!
I worked in a (sleepaway) summer camp infirmary a couple of years ago, and Pinkeye was king. We must have treated oh, 150 kids that summer for the nasty eye infection. As far as I know, you are right about only being contagious until 24hrs after you start antibiotics, BUT, I am concerned that your symptoms have not cleared up yet. It could be that the particular antibiotic you are on is not being effective, in which case you could still be contageous. This means 2 things:
1) You and everyone in your household / workplace should wash your hands with hot soapy water, really rub for 2 minutes, rinse well, and dry on a paper towel,and throw it away, every time you touch your face, every time you pass a sink, every time you think about your eye. Really, constant hand washing is your best defense against spreading. Also, you MUST change your pillowcase nightly. If you share a bed, change your partner's pillowcase nightly as well. Do not touch your eyes, and tell your family to avoid touching their eyes.
2) You need to call your doctor's office and tell them that you haven't had any relief from your symptoms. If this really is a pink eye infection, you could be doing harm by letting it go (essentially) untreated, which is what you are doing if the antibiotic drops you are on are not effective. ALSO, if this is not pinkeye, but actually an allergic reaction or a reaction to some kind of irritant, you need to switch to the appropriate medicine. A lot of people who have never had allergic symptoms in their lives can develop them later, so even if you've never suffered from hayfever or pollen sensitivity, that could be the culprit now. In that case, anti-biotics will not do you any good. If your doctor is convinced that you have pink eye, and is convinced that you are on the right anti-biotic, ask him to prescribe you an additional drop for the symptoms (as the anti-biotic only treats the infection)

In the meantime, a cool washcloth (changed and washed regularly!) can give you some relief. Avoid swimming pools and other situations that can irritate the eyes. And, by all means, do NOT wear contact lenses until you are off the antibiotic. If you have been wearing them, make sure you sterilize them very well before you resume wearing them.

Finally, if you do wear contacts, you should be aware of a condition called GPC (Giant Pappilary Conjunctivitis). It sounds worse than it is, but it is pretty uncomfortable. After years of using traditional contact lens solution and products, I developed a sensitivity to the preservatives. My eyes were gooey all the time, my contact lenses were alwasy fogged, and the undersides of my eyelids itched like crazy. The whites of my eyes were often red and irritated. I had to switch to my glasses for 3 months (in college -- how mortifying) and switched to a perservative-free solution (Aeosept), and it cleared up. This condition is not contagious, but it will persist unless treated.

It just occurred to me that you probably didn't want to read quite so much information, especially with your eyes bothering you, but I feel compelled to share what I learned in that summer camp infirmary. I also have a wealth of knowlege in the areas of poison ivy, food poisoning (don't even ask), and the homesick tummy ache.

Feel better soon!
Panda

PS -- Wipe your keyboard down with Lysol when you are done using it. Same goes for doorknobs and any other surfaces in your home and office.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Advice for Pink Eye? new
      #84061 - 06/28/04 12:13 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

My teenage son had it recently (after a week at the beach with his friends over Spring Break!) and the doctor told him it was no more contagious than the common cold. He told him to go about his normal activities---just washing his hands often and trying not to touch his eyes. The doctor said, "You wouldn't stay home from school or work because of a cold, so you shouldn't stay home when you have pink eye!" Gosh! When I taught elementary school, we always sent home kids that had pink eye. I guess this makes sense. I was just surprised to hear him say this.

Thanks for the advice! new
      #84715 - 06/29/04 11:27 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like you are quite familiar with the dreaded pink eye!

I've been doing all the things you mentioned, and I went to an optometrist today who said that I should keep sticking it out with the drops, but they are getting so much worse...and they sting! Is stinging common with pink eye do you know? Not just when I use the drops but all the time.

I think I'll have to venture back to a doctor tomorrow...this is getting really frustrating.

Kelly

Re: Thanks for the advice! new
      #84867 - 06/30/04 09:37 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Ooh... I just now saw this. I had a raging case of Pink Eye a few years back... felt like a piece of glass was wedged in my eye. The drops did sting for awhile... but anything was better!! Keep with them. Sounds like yours is stubborn too.

For chinagrl new
      #85129 - 06/30/04 05:42 PM
Vicam

Thanks for your info. I was just wondering, how long did it take for yours to go away? I went back to the doc's today and he gave me new antibiotic drops, said the infection may have been resistent to the previous ones, and to keep plugging away. It seems there's no end in sight!

Thanks,
Kelly

Re: For chinagrl new
      #85165 - 06/30/04 08:52 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I would say mine took about two weeks to completely clear up. One thing I would advise, carry one of those instant antibiotic hand cleaning lotions (you can get travel sizes at Bath and Body Works, for instance). Use it ALL the time. It's very easy to keep reinfecting yourself.

Sorry if somebody else already suggested that.

Other than that just hang in there... pink eye is the devil, but you can get through it, you're tough!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 921 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1975

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review