All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hypothyroidism
      #81934 - 06/22/04 11:01 AM
PammySue

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Southern Indiana

I had my first appointment with a GI in June to get my official diagnosis. I am taking SSKI for allergies and he was concerned because that is an iodine medicine used to treat the thyroid. He asked me to have bloodwork done to check my thyroid. I called this morning and they told me that I have hypothyroidism and I will be starting another medicine. I have to have bloodwork done again in six weeks. I was just wondering if this may have been causing some of my problems throughout the years. My GP has always stated that this was IBS, but one of the symptoms for hypothyroidism includes severe constipation. Has anyone had any experience with hypothyroidism? Any advice? I'm researching this and would welcome any information, websites, advice, etc. Thanks!

P.S. I have my first colonoscopy scheduled for July 14 and I am hoping for more answers to this puzzle and an official diagnosis.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hypothyroidism new
      #81967 - 06/22/04 12:02 PM
Gail1

Reged: 09/04/03
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

Hi PammySue, I have hypothyroidism and have been on meds for it for 27yrs. I have never had severe or even mild constipation from being hyopothyroid or from the meds. I take synthroid and my dose is 0.3mg. It also runs in my family and I have not heard from any of them having C. My son has been on meds for low thyriod since he was born and the only time he gets constipated is when he doesn't eat enough fiber containing food. He will be 13 in Nov. What is the med that they are going to put you on and what dose. I know that if my dose is to low that I get very tired and my skin gets very dry and itchy. I hope this helps. Good luck with it all. Gail

#82000 - 06/22/04 01:30 PM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

I am hypothyroid also.I have been on medication for close to 10yrs now.I discovered i was hypothyroid the same day i found out i was pregnant with my 2nd child. I never have constipation,i have D more than i would like!! For me lack of energy and depression are my side effects even with the right dose of medication.My energy comes and goes.FOR the one who's son has hypothyroid-how did you know? where there any signs/symptoms? Because i wonder sometimes if my daughter has it,but when i asked my Dr.about it,she said its not hereditary.I always wondered if me being on thyroid medication during pregnancy affected her at all,she does have some learning problems in school now. There is a yahoo group on thyroid problems with a message board.I am a member but dont visit that site too much anymore.

#82034 - 06/22/04 02:34 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Pammy,

I'm Hypo and have "C". It is more common to have "C" with hypothyroidism than "D", as I'm sure you read.

You may want to start researching at: web page

Once you start reading the topics to the left they lead into more topics and you can go on and on. I started with this web site many years ago and have been pleased with the info there and Mary Shomon and her first book. The message boards aren't bad either, just not as user friendly as these.

BTW, what are SSKI's ? I would be VERY concerned about taking any iodine based meds now that you are hypo. It is important to get your thyroid numbers regulated. Maybe you doc can find an allergy med alternative to the one you are taking now. Now that you'll be on thyroid meds, please get copies of all your blood work and chart your progress, making notes on how you feel along the way at different levels. There is more to having thyroid disease than meets the eye so try to get as knowlegable as you can.

If you have any more specific thyroid questions don't hesitate to email me. I'll help you if I can, or find the answer for you, or a link that may help.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: for countrygirl new
      #82133 - 06/22/04 10:31 PM
Gail1

Reged: 09/04/03
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

Hi there, my son was tested when he was just a few days old. It is manditory here in Alberta for babies to be checked for hypothyroid. The test came back positive and he was put on meds at one week old. I was told that the tyroid gland helps to develope your brain in babies and small children. If it is not working right and they are hypo and they don't get the meds to make it work right then they can become what is termed "cretens" (sp?) and will not be able to fuction normally for the rest of their lives. My son also has ADHD but it is not from the thyroid problem, it came from my ex-husband. when I was pregnant with Brian I was sent to the high risk pregnancy clinic because I was hypothyroid and they wanted to make sure that my problem was under controll the whole time. I was lucky because my GP has hypothyroid and had had his thyroid gland removed and he knew loads about it. The doctors say that is is not hereditary but some times I wonder about that. My mom's mom had it and same for my mom and I and my sister. My son has it. it is also in my mom's sisters family as well and my ex-husbands mom has it also. Another aunt on my dads side has it along with one of her daughters. I could go on and on as to who has it in the family, but I wont bore you to tears with it. Do you mind me asking what kind of problems that your daughter has in school? I wont mind if you would rather not say. Have you had your daughter tested for it? Not sure if any of this helps you. Gail

Thanks Gail! new
      #82142 - 06/23/04 01:53 AM
PammySue

I know that they called a prescription for Synthroid in for me, but I haven't received it yet so I don't know what dosage. (My pharmacy is online and I receive my meds through the mail). I just learned about this whole thing yesterday so I am just trying to gather some information so I know what to discuss with the doc on my next visit. Thanks!

Thanks Kandee! new
      #82143 - 06/23/04 01:58 AM
PammySue

Thanks for the information. SSKI is an liquid iodine medicine that I am using as an expectorant for my allergies. My GI said that I should not stop taking it. He has called me in a presciption for Synthroid that I am supposed to start taking. Thanks for the website. I am going to check that out. I always like to be well informed about all the many medical conditions that I seem to be collecting. I will have my blood work done again in six weeks and will go from there!

Re: for countrygirl new
      #82191 - 06/23/04 07:13 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

My daughter is having problems in Math.No surprise there,cuz i suck at it too! They also said she is having difficulty with staying on task at times,daydreaming, and some slight problems with putting things in sequence,like reading a story and then trying to write down the sequence of events in the story line in order.Her teacher wanted to label her A.D.D.,but her speech therapist thinks its a thought-processing disorder.The new school year im going to keep after the school district to have her tested for Learning Disabilities,since they only wanted to focus on A.D.D. they never tested her for L.D. I did mention to our family doctor that maybe she could have a low thyroid also, the doctor told me NO and that its not hereditary and pretty much ended the conversation at that.So she was never tested.The only health problems she has now is Eczema,that she has had since age 3,but its improving alot,i think she maybe starting to outgrow it.Other than that she is really tall for her age (8yrs old),eats very well, she even loves most fruits and vegies.She stays pretty active although sometimes its hard to get her motivated!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2188

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review