All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hello
      #81382 - 06/20/04 10:24 PM
AnitaDump

Reged: 06/20/04

I have IBS and have since being a teenager. When my husband takes me anywhere, I have to be close to toilets, and we don't eat out often because of it. Running to the restroom twice per course isn't much fun! There isn't much in the way of volume, mostly just mucous and gas but that's still a smelly inconvenience, and quite embarassing!

My last pregnancy has really helped however, but I went from one end of the spectrum to the other. I went from going numerous times a day to a couple times per week.

This is convenient at times, but I still can't eat at a restaurant since my bowels hurt and feel stretched out from the impacted mess that's festering in there. I hope I can get it out soon, I've been taking metamucil caps but I just keep putting in more than is coming out.

Any suggestions on how to have a nice poop without turning my bowels back to the raging torrent they once were?

Thanks for your help,
AnitaDump

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello new
      #81401 - 06/21/04 01:17 AM
AnitaDump

Reged: 06/20/04

still no help?

Hello! new
      #81417 - 06/21/04 06:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Having never been pregnant, I'm not sure if the IBS Diet will work quite the same for you, but not knowing how you're eating and drinking right now, it couldn't hurt to check that out. Metamucil is a good start. Also make sure you're drinking a LOT of water - soluble fiber supplements like Metamucil need a good lot of water to work.

I will save the real advice for the more knowledgeable people, though. I just wanted to say "welcome"! This board is kind of quiet on the weekends, especially now that the weather's getting nicer... as more people log in from work and see your post, I'm sure you'll get some more helpful replies.

Hi, and welcome new
      #81419 - 06/21/04 06:40 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sorry that you are having a rough time.

I am IBS "D" so I really can't help with the "C" part.
I eat oatmeal every morning and, since that is about the only fiber I get, I think that is what is keeping me regular.

Just wanted to welcome you to a site that I'm sure will help you. It has really helped me. Sometimes you just have to be patient at first and if you get no replies try posting again. Also, you might try posting on the IBS Diet board.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: Hello ( WELCOME!!) new
      #81422 - 06/21/04 07:01 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Hi,

It sounds like you might be IBS Alternate like I am, since you've gone from D to C.

I know I became so impacted that I HAD to try glycerin suppositories for a day or two so I know how uncomfortable you feel not being able to go. What I do now as was suggested to me is take Benefiber (powder) in the morning in a glass of water and at night I take Citrucel (powder) and mix that in something you can drink. You may want to start first with a half teaspoon of these for a while before increasing the dosage, and drink loooooots of water.

I take 1 teaspoon of each per day and I finally have been having BM's every day since adding the Citrucel. Most days now I am going twice a day. I notice butternut squash also helps when I feel the stool may be hard to pass but usually the Benefiber and Citrucel work just fine.

Please check the website for the safe foods but I know I had to stay away from all rice products until this was corrected as it bound me up even more.

More people will give you some really good advise. It's been very slow on the boards this weekend so don't give up hope. A lot of people were probably out for Father's Day events etc. Just keep posting. You will get help!!!!! You're in the right place and again welcome!

Wishing you the best.

Pat

Welcome! and love the name by the way.... new
      #81448 - 06/21/04 08:38 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey Anita!
Welcome to the boards! I have the same problem as you, though I have never been a D person (sometimes I wish I was BUT I know how bad they have it as well so I try to get those thoughts outta my head!!!)
Anyway, are you on the diet? What are you eating and what meds are you taking? If you click here you'll go to the diet page, which tells ya what the diet's all about, trigger foods, and most importantly about SOLUBLE AND INSOLUBLE FIBER.

I'm also taking metamucil right now...I HAVE to give it time, but so far my bod seems to be holdin' on to whats in there. *sigh* I understand your pain...this weeks been hell for me, to put it bluntly. I haven't "gone" more than once and even then it was nothing...sorry TMI...

But anyway, I get how you're feeling, and these boards help a lot for suggestions and support. Just ask away and we'll try to help as best we can. Oh, also check this out. It's the soluble fiber supplements page. (BTW, here they are also commonly known as SFS's)

Lastly, please check out JenX's info for Newbies post It's got tons of great info!!

If you have anymore questions just ask away!

Anitadump!! You crack me up !!........ new
      #81450 - 06/21/04 08:45 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

OK, I know being so C is not funny. Since my recent surgery I have also gone from a D to a C, with A. My suggestions seem to help me, others may tell you different. I just had a cup of dcaf coffee, I never drink it unless I feel impacted with cement. I recently went on a trip, was C the whole time, and I dont have to tell you how miserable I was. It was about 4 days, as soon as I hit the door, I went straight to the kitchen, made a pot of dcaf, and in a couple of hours and all day the next day, I emptied out. I had no D, but the longer the day progressed, the softer and softer the movements were. I had a little cramping, but, that also goes along with everything IBS!!

Also, I find that if I make a pot of rice, and chop some broccoli, finely chopped of course with a little onion. I saute the broc and onion, and add them to the rice with some lemon&herb seasoning. ohhhh yummmmmm.

These two things have been huge helps to me, if they dont work for you, let me know, I will try to help you some more.

hope it gets softer soon!!!! gayla

Re: Hello new
      #81458 - 06/21/04 09:01 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Anita, just wanted to say welcome!! Also, if you post your question on the Diet board, a lot more people, including Heather, will see it. Glad you found us!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 602

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review