All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Problems at work new
      #81451 - 06/21/04 08:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think it varies a lot depending on where you live, the kind of job you have, and company policies in general. I do have visible tattoos - on my wrists, and I have long arms, so most long-sleeved shirts don't even cover them. I also have a nostril piercing. Surprisingly enough, I've never had a problem. I've been hired for 3 jobs since being tattooed, and it's always been a non-issue. Then again, I live in Maine, in a college town area. When I lived in a small town in northern New Jersey, I couldn't even go to the grocery store without being stared at like I'm a freak - and I couldn't find work down there at all.

I think it's ridiculous, personally, but again, in certain industries, I guess I can understand it. At least it's a company-wide policy and enforced across the board, not just singling you out!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Awesome! Good for you, I'm sure they look great! -nt- new
      #81459 - 06/21/04 09:03 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

oooh jen, WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!! hehe -nt- new
      #81466 - 06/21/04 09:12 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Re: Problems at work new
      #81468 - 06/21/04 09:22 AM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Yeah my English teacher has one going around her ankel and extending down her foot partways. It's a big distraction because everyone always asks her about it, why she got it, how badly it hurt, what it means, etc. and they almost fired her over it! But you're not a teacher, so that shouldn't be a problem for ya, Jen! And yes, WE WANT PICTURES!!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Tattoos at work. new
      #81480 - 06/21/04 09:45 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

well, here they could care less as long as you're on time. heck, the don't care if i work as long as i'm sitting on my chair in front of my desk at the right times.

i don't think it will be a problem at the company i'm hoping offers me a job. i would cover the one on my wrist for client meetings. in fact, i'll cover it for any future job interviews! as for the one on my shoulder, i don't think any of my "business-appropriate attire" would show that one, anyway.

well, we'll see, won't we!? i certainly hope i won't end up working somewhere that makes me hide them...

--------------------

Re: tattoos! new
      #81486 - 06/21/04 09:52 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Wow! Congratulations to you being able to "just do" something. I've wanted a tattoo for such a long time, but I am scared to just go oget it done. Not afraid of the pain, just if it's the right thing. I also want something with a special kinda meaning, and love mystical symbols and such. I have been looking into ancient symbols and their meaning, bit I don't want to be offensive by getting something that has special religious meaning to anyone of any faith. that is intersting you got an Om tattoo, I have been taken a slight interest in sanskrit lately (just looking for info on the web). I think I have settled for a phoenix design, because I feel similiar to one by always self- destructing and then reinventing myslef and starting over, rising from the flames in a way.
But, phoenix tattoos are alittle overdone, what do all of you think? Should I get it? I don't "need" to be different, I just don't want something everyone else has.
Also, there is the question on where to get it! For some reason, the idea of getting on one my foot popped into my head, I am not really sure why. It seems kinda silly, though.
I am happy that you enjoy them! Hopefully before the summer is over I'll be sharing my story!

--------------------
-Sheri

tatooooooos......... new
      #81493 - 06/21/04 10:03 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

well my mom, surprise, surprise thinks tatoos are tacky, etc, etc so I've grown up to think of them that way. BUT I would actually LOVE to get a tiny one that means something special to me somewhere...hmm any suggestions as to where to put it to "hide" it yet where i can still see it and enjoy it? Hehe, Jen you've turned me into a little rebel haven't you. I am SO not one but I am ACTUALLY thinking of it now. LOL!!!!!

Sheri! new
      #81495 - 06/21/04 10:06 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you should do some research into Native American images. i bet there is a stylized Phoenix out there somewhere.

funny- i strongly considered a phoenix, too. i rarely see them, so i don't know what you mean by overdone!? maybe it's a regional thing? anyway, i decided not to get that because i felt more strongly about the other images, but it's still in the running for the next one (that will be on my back!) though i'm fairly certain it's going to be the fish.

but i babble!

anyway, i was thinking your foot is a great place for a phoenix. you want to know why? because of the symbology of walking towards your next "rebirth!"

i say "GO FER IT!" (but then again, i already admitted to being an enabler!)

ps: i have an interest in Sanskrit, too. i have a ring that says "respect to the one who sits on the lutus of my heart" in Sanskrit.

anyway, enough of my rambling!

--------------------

Re: guess what i "up and did" today!? new
      #81497 - 06/21/04 10:06 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Jen,

It is funny that I logged on today and saw your message. I have an appointment tomorrow at noon to get a ladybug tatoo on my ankle. I have been talking about doing it for 5 years now and finally made an appointment last Wed. for tomorrow.

--------------------
Janey

Re: guess what i "up and did" today!? new
      #81507 - 06/21/04 10:19 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Hey tattoo girl!! That is exciting!!

I did that too.... Shane was out of town on business.... (before we were married, so I did not HAVE to ask him if it was ok...LOL) I called my girlfriend and told her I was gonna do it. She had always wanted one too. So, she came over.... we went and had a drink and then went to go get them. Mine is a Purple Rose & Red Heart w/Angel Wings (my grandfather) behind them on my upper right breast. So, when I got home I took digital pictures of it and then when I talked to Shane on the phone I told him about it. He wanted to hear all about it.... so in addition to that...I emailed him the pics so he could see them on his laptop. He really liked it!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17746

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review