All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need Advice from the "A's" Out There
      #79036 - 06/14/04 04:03 PM
ivy

Reged: 03/31/04

Calling all IBS-A's -- I need to ask for your advice. I have had IBS-A for about 10 years and stumbled on to this site about 4 months ago. I found that I was intuitively doing some of the diet things (avoiding meat, spicy food, etc.), but after reading the info on the site, I've been trying everything to try to resolve my IBS-A. I think I'm a classic case...I have very bad "D" in the morning and then have nothing going on for 2-3 days, except gas and bloating that builds until the D day comes again. I've been trying to follow the diet (I stick to it pretty well, except for soda), I completed the hypnosis, started taking yoga, and have been using acacia and peppermint tea. But, I still haven't reached a stable place, even though my "A" cycle is pretty predictable.

Please let me know if you other A's have any advice for me. I'm thinking about seeking medication because I'm concerned that I might need something to get me to the next level, but don't know what works well for A's and don't have much faith that my doctor will either. Years ago, I tried Donnatal, Bentyl, and other anti-spasmodics with no luck.

Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Advice from the "A's" Out There new
      #79046 - 06/14/04 04:39 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I found a low dose of Immodium taken every day as a preventative was extremely helpful in stabilising. It needs to be low enough to not give you bad C, but if one tablet is too much for you, then you can get Immodium (Loperamide) in liquid form to allow you to take tiny doses.

Also, a SFS is a must.

Linz said everything I was gonna tell ya, so I hope that helps!! new
      #79050 - 06/14/04 04:45 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: Need Advice from the "A's" Out There new
      #79200 - 06/15/04 04:34 AM
PammySue

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Southern Indiana

My new GI put me on Rubinol Forte for the spasms and Benefiber for the constipation. For the last two weeks it has been a good combination. I have had a regular BM almost every day (at least every other day) which is really good for me. I've tried other drugs in the past, but the effects usually wear off after a period of time (sometimes up to one year)!

Benefiber isn't just for C! - nt new
      #79493 - 06/15/04 01:56 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Re: Benefiber isn't just for C! - nt new
      #79679 - 06/15/04 05:52 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Also make sure you are not cheating at all on this diet. I see you mentioned sodas are still on your shopping list. Try avoiding them and see how that helps your stomach. Are you sure you aren't drinking any coffee or dairy products? That could be affecting how you feel. I agree with Linz and try low dosages of Immodium, sometimes I take one every other day and manage not to get myself blocked up from that small dose.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Re: Linz said everything I was gonna tell ya, so I hope that helps!! new
      #79681 - 06/15/04 05:57 PM
ivy

Reged: 03/31/04

Thanks for the great advice. I've tried immodium in the past, but probably used too much. I'll give it a try in smaller doses and see what happens.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 422 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 884

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review