All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Overwhelmed?
      #76571 - 06/06/04 09:44 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Do you ever feel so overwhelmed that you just want to go away somewhere and not have anything at all to worry about or deal with? I'm having one of those days. All I can think about is my IBS, getting done painting the house, having to go to the GYN this Tuesday, having to go for a followup at the GI doc next week, Father's Day plans at my parents house, watching what I eat, D attacks, our dogs misbehaving and my husband being upset about it, etc., etc., etc. I can't seem to clear my mind today. Sometimes I get so "worked up" over things....and I hate it! I've been listening to the hypno tapes and I am on day 47 and not really sure if it is even helping. I hate to bother you all with this depressing post, but I really don't have anywhere else to turn right now because I don't want to worry any of my family or my husband. Ya know? I'm just so scared sometimes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Overwhelmed? new
      #76574 - 06/06/04 09:52 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Yup Nugget, I know exactly where you're coming from. I try so hard to put on a brave face when I'm not feeling well, but then my family just assumes I'm fine and dandy...yet when I make a scene they just get frustrated and mad at me. Its a lose-lose situation sometimes.

Life can be really overwhelming at times...read my quote in my signature!!! Anyway thats what WE are here for. To help you through and listen to your frustrations.

I get scared too sometimes, but we're all here for each other

I'll tie a knot and hang on, but sometimes..... new
      #76576 - 06/06/04 10:12 AM
Nugget

I feel my grip loosening. Ya know? Thank you for your thoghts and support and cute puppy picture. I just wish all this IBS stuff would go away...the anxiety, the pain, the embarrassment, the D, etc. etc. Then there are other days that everything is OK. I think alot of people think, though that we can't have good days and bad days...that they are either all bad or there is really nothing wrong with us. You know what I mean. I feel like they are thinking to themselves...and maybe I'm wrong....that if she was fine yesterday, why isn't she fine today? And I know if I could just quit worrying about everything that it would be alot better. But I can't clear my mind.

Re: I'll tie a knot and hang on, but sometimes..... new
      #76578 - 06/06/04 10:21 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Yes that is right on Nugget. If I have a bad day, they are like, "well how come?" Argh....I had a bad experience this morning myself. My sister said something like..."you know when you were having those stomach problems, etc..." well I don't know what came over me but I just interrupted her and said I STILL DO! And she was like...well you SEEM fine, you used to cry about it all the time...and I yelled THEYRE CALLED ANTIDEPRESSANTS!
Now I know I didnt need to blow up at her but it just annoys me to no end how ignorant people can be, but at the same time, I think to myself how before this started for me, I really really took my health for granted..so I suppose I can't expect others to completely understand.

Of COURSE it would be easier to stop worrying but we're human and sometimes our minds can't stop working overtime and it can be frustrating.

Everyone here has truly helped me through those tough days, whether they know it or not...please know that you're not alone in this at all! I'll keep you in my thoughts today...I hope that you can have a little relaxation time for yourself today, too.

*hugs*

So sorry, Nugget..... new
      #76580 - 06/06/04 10:53 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Nugget,

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I do understand what you are going through. I worry about everything and usually it is when I wake up in the middle of the night. My mind just races with thoughts of...what if something happens to my grandbaby-to-be.....what if my sister dies,who will take care of my mentally ill neice..... what if something happens to my beloved dog that is 12yrs old.... what about my mom who is 85 or my husband....what if the weather is bad and we have a bumpy flight....why can't I eat normally....and it just goes on and on. I get so stressed out. I do take Xanax when I really have a bad panic attack and that really does help relax me. Have you ever checked into anti-anxiety meds??

Maybe watch something funny on TV. Sometimes that helps me forget my problems and laughter is a great stress reliever.

I hope you cheer up soon
Barbie

PS: What could those great dogs be doing to misbehave?? Mine through up this morning (outside) and it was just mucous so I guess it's nothing to "worry" about.

--------------------

we sound so much alike.... new
      #76588 - 06/06/04 12:02 PM
Nugget

I, too worry about every little thing....ideas and thoughts just are always popping into my head. I used to be on Zoloft for depression after my grandmother passed away and it even helped with the IBS, but I didn't like the side effects....the sexual side effects mainly. Lack of desire. That wasn't fair to hubby or myself...so I worked real hard to get better and get off of Zoloft. Have never checked into anti anxiety meds.....or even brought it up to my doc. Kind of embarrassed about it actually. One of those things I keep telling myself to "get over it". Ya know? I just don't like taking meds if I absolutely don't have to, but I feel I need to do something and I'm not disiplined enough to stick to a walking routine....that helped too.

Our dogs are rushing the fence and barking at people when they walk by with their dogs. My husband saw them do it yesterday when this little old man walked by with his dog and said he looked scared to death, so now we have to keep the dogs in their kennel or on a leash when we are not out with them.....hubby says. He doesn't want anyone to get hurt, and I don't either, I just hate to see our dogs not be able to enjoy the big yard we have unless we are out there with them. It's a fenced yard and they can't get out....but I guess some people would be scared even if they can't get out. So last night I ordered a two dog training system that will hopefully help. We can train them both at the same time. Have you ever tried shock collars? I know it sounds terrible, but they actually do work and they don't hurt the dogs. I made sure when we tried one collar before, I tried it on my hand. It just gets your attention. So I hope it works.... "the boys" are almost 2 and I think they are doing fairly well with training, but they have their faults, too. I gave them both baths this weekend and they really enjoyed that. It's sooooo hot here today. I just gave them a frozen "milk cicle", too.

Re: we sound so much alike.... new
      #76593 - 06/06/04 12:36 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Don't Golden's know they are supposed to be laid back and not bark and scare people?? Mine does the same thing only he does it at the front window. There is a man that runs by and he has on a sweat band and wrist band and he moves his hand really fast when he jogs....That drives my dog crazy and he barks and barks. Also, any dog that walks by has to be barked at....it's like he's saying "it's my street, stay away". Ha Ha. I have heard about the shock collar. I do think it would be a good idea and I know it doesn't hurt them. Let me know how it works. I have also tried putting some coins in a empty coffee can and rattling them really hard when he is barking... (you have to be close to them to do this) it really does get his attention and he does stop. Yesterday was bath day here, too. Now he smells really sweet...but not for long!!!! He's going to have his teeth cleaned Friday.. and I'm having mine done Thursday...by a different dentist, of course.

You mentioned walking. I really feel better if I am stressed to go out and cut the yard or do something that really makes me huff and puff. It really does help relieve the pent up stress. If your stress continues to really be bad, maybe you could mention anxiety meds. next time you go to the doctor. Don't be embarrassed, I'm sure the doctor has heard many problems like this before. Be careful with them because some can be addicting.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: I'll tie a knot and hang on, but sometimes..... new
      #76598 - 06/06/04 12:53 PM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

I can totally relate to the ignorant people who dont understand that IBS is something that doesnt go away for us. My Mother in Law once snapped at me because i was having a bad IBS day while spending the weekend at her house with my husband and kids.She asked me "now whats wrong?!" i told her i was having stomach cramps and she responded with "What the hell is your problem? Every time you come to visit you always complain about stomach cramps?!!!". Wow, nothing like feeling supported huh? If only they could walk in our shoes for one full week!!!
I am having problems with my dog now too. She is a sheltie mix(according to the dog shelter we adopted her from)but i think she resembles more of an Australian Shepard,she is approx. 2-3 yrs old.The problem is when we take her for a walk she just pulls and lunges down the street,pratically choking herself,and ripping your arm off!!! How do you break a dog of that habit? I would love to take her on more walks,but being dragged along is not relaxing!!!!

#76604 - 06/06/04 01:55 PM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

So sorry you feel so overwhelmed. Have been there myself lately and all I can say is please don't be afraid to ask the doctor about it. Like Barbie, I also take Xanax (a very mild dose) which is for anxiety. It's just enough to keep you from going over the edge when things get sooooooo overwhelming.

It seems like some people have a problem asking for help for problems like this yet this can also be caused by physical problems too such as a chemical imbalance etc. but for some reason we feel we may be labeled as weak if we need to ask for this kind of help.

I don't believe in meds as the sole source of getting well. I think we need to put one thing at a time first. Believe me I know how hard that is to do. Try not to think of EVERYTHING that needs to be done or where you have to go all at one time. Try to get through the first thing on your list, then you can concentrate on the next etc. etc.

If I think of everything I need to do or sometimes can't do I stress myself out and just make the IBS worse.

Hang in there hon and when you feel like you're getting stressed just come on the boards and let it all out like you did now. It's a lot better than holding it in.

Please speak to your doctor about how you feel. There are medicines out there that don't have as many side effects as others and sometimes you just need your dosage lowered in order to prevent the side affects you were speaking of.

Take Care and know we're here for you!

Pat

#76615 - 06/06/04 03:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Nugget, I see you already got some really good replies, but I so related that I had to answer too. The way I used to describe it was I wanted the rest of the world to just STOP for 48 hours so I could catch up!!

I have learned some techniques over the years for detaching from my worries. One of the best and easiest sounds simplistic but really works, which is to focus JUST on the present moment and what you can accomplish or do something about right now. Just ask yourself, "What is the next right thing to do?" and then do it. If you find the worrisome thoughts crowding back in, just visualize a stop sign and say "STOP!" to them! It sounds silly but if you do those two things often enough you can train your brain the same way you train your dogs!!

Also, remember that worrying about the future doesn't change a thing, it's just a waste of energy better spent on taking good care of yourself today. As they say,

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the "present"!!

Feel better sweetie. Oh, yeah and Xanax helps a whole bunch!! I take it and look how happy I am!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 239 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review