All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Overwhelmed?
      #76571 - 06/06/04 09:44 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Do you ever feel so overwhelmed that you just want to go away somewhere and not have anything at all to worry about or deal with? I'm having one of those days. All I can think about is my IBS, getting done painting the house, having to go to the GYN this Tuesday, having to go for a followup at the GI doc next week, Father's Day plans at my parents house, watching what I eat, D attacks, our dogs misbehaving and my husband being upset about it, etc., etc., etc. I can't seem to clear my mind today. Sometimes I get so "worked up" over things....and I hate it! I've been listening to the hypno tapes and I am on day 47 and not really sure if it is even helping. I hate to bother you all with this depressing post, but I really don't have anywhere else to turn right now because I don't want to worry any of my family or my husband. Ya know? I'm just so scared sometimes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Overwhelmed? new
      #76574 - 06/06/04 09:52 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Yup Nugget, I know exactly where you're coming from. I try so hard to put on a brave face when I'm not feeling well, but then my family just assumes I'm fine and dandy...yet when I make a scene they just get frustrated and mad at me. Its a lose-lose situation sometimes.

Life can be really overwhelming at times...read my quote in my signature!!! Anyway thats what WE are here for. To help you through and listen to your frustrations.

I get scared too sometimes, but we're all here for each other

I'll tie a knot and hang on, but sometimes..... new
      #76576 - 06/06/04 10:12 AM
Nugget

I feel my grip loosening. Ya know? Thank you for your thoghts and support and cute puppy picture. I just wish all this IBS stuff would go away...the anxiety, the pain, the embarrassment, the D, etc. etc. Then there are other days that everything is OK. I think alot of people think, though that we can't have good days and bad days...that they are either all bad or there is really nothing wrong with us. You know what I mean. I feel like they are thinking to themselves...and maybe I'm wrong....that if she was fine yesterday, why isn't she fine today? And I know if I could just quit worrying about everything that it would be alot better. But I can't clear my mind.

Re: I'll tie a knot and hang on, but sometimes..... new
      #76578 - 06/06/04 10:21 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Yes that is right on Nugget. If I have a bad day, they are like, "well how come?" Argh....I had a bad experience this morning myself. My sister said something like..."you know when you were having those stomach problems, etc..." well I don't know what came over me but I just interrupted her and said I STILL DO! And she was like...well you SEEM fine, you used to cry about it all the time...and I yelled THEYRE CALLED ANTIDEPRESSANTS!
Now I know I didnt need to blow up at her but it just annoys me to no end how ignorant people can be, but at the same time, I think to myself how before this started for me, I really really took my health for granted..so I suppose I can't expect others to completely understand.

Of COURSE it would be easier to stop worrying but we're human and sometimes our minds can't stop working overtime and it can be frustrating.

Everyone here has truly helped me through those tough days, whether they know it or not...please know that you're not alone in this at all! I'll keep you in my thoughts today...I hope that you can have a little relaxation time for yourself today, too.

*hugs*

So sorry, Nugget..... new
      #76580 - 06/06/04 10:53 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Nugget,

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I do understand what you are going through. I worry about everything and usually it is when I wake up in the middle of the night. My mind just races with thoughts of...what if something happens to my grandbaby-to-be.....what if my sister dies,who will take care of my mentally ill neice..... what if something happens to my beloved dog that is 12yrs old.... what about my mom who is 85 or my husband....what if the weather is bad and we have a bumpy flight....why can't I eat normally....and it just goes on and on. I get so stressed out. I do take Xanax when I really have a bad panic attack and that really does help relax me. Have you ever checked into anti-anxiety meds??

Maybe watch something funny on TV. Sometimes that helps me forget my problems and laughter is a great stress reliever.

I hope you cheer up soon
Barbie

PS: What could those great dogs be doing to misbehave?? Mine through up this morning (outside) and it was just mucous so I guess it's nothing to "worry" about.

--------------------

we sound so much alike.... new
      #76588 - 06/06/04 12:02 PM
Nugget

I, too worry about every little thing....ideas and thoughts just are always popping into my head. I used to be on Zoloft for depression after my grandmother passed away and it even helped with the IBS, but I didn't like the side effects....the sexual side effects mainly. Lack of desire. That wasn't fair to hubby or myself...so I worked real hard to get better and get off of Zoloft. Have never checked into anti anxiety meds.....or even brought it up to my doc. Kind of embarrassed about it actually. One of those things I keep telling myself to "get over it". Ya know? I just don't like taking meds if I absolutely don't have to, but I feel I need to do something and I'm not disiplined enough to stick to a walking routine....that helped too.

Our dogs are rushing the fence and barking at people when they walk by with their dogs. My husband saw them do it yesterday when this little old man walked by with his dog and said he looked scared to death, so now we have to keep the dogs in their kennel or on a leash when we are not out with them.....hubby says. He doesn't want anyone to get hurt, and I don't either, I just hate to see our dogs not be able to enjoy the big yard we have unless we are out there with them. It's a fenced yard and they can't get out....but I guess some people would be scared even if they can't get out. So last night I ordered a two dog training system that will hopefully help. We can train them both at the same time. Have you ever tried shock collars? I know it sounds terrible, but they actually do work and they don't hurt the dogs. I made sure when we tried one collar before, I tried it on my hand. It just gets your attention. So I hope it works.... "the boys" are almost 2 and I think they are doing fairly well with training, but they have their faults, too. I gave them both baths this weekend and they really enjoyed that. It's sooooo hot here today. I just gave them a frozen "milk cicle", too.

Re: we sound so much alike.... new
      #76593 - 06/06/04 12:36 PM
barbie

Don't Golden's know they are supposed to be laid back and not bark and scare people?? Mine does the same thing only he does it at the front window. There is a man that runs by and he has on a sweat band and wrist band and he moves his hand really fast when he jogs....That drives my dog crazy and he barks and barks. Also, any dog that walks by has to be barked at....it's like he's saying "it's my street, stay away". Ha Ha. I have heard about the shock collar. I do think it would be a good idea and I know it doesn't hurt them. Let me know how it works. I have also tried putting some coins in a empty coffee can and rattling them really hard when he is barking... (you have to be close to them to do this) it really does get his attention and he does stop. Yesterday was bath day here, too. Now he smells really sweet...but not for long!!!! He's going to have his teeth cleaned Friday.. and I'm having mine done Thursday...by a different dentist, of course.

You mentioned walking. I really feel better if I am stressed to go out and cut the yard or do something that really makes me huff and puff. It really does help relieve the pent up stress. If your stress continues to really be bad, maybe you could mention anxiety meds. next time you go to the doctor. Don't be embarrassed, I'm sure the doctor has heard many problems like this before. Be careful with them because some can be addicting.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: I'll tie a knot and hang on, but sometimes..... new
      #76598 - 06/06/04 12:53 PM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

I can totally relate to the ignorant people who dont understand that IBS is something that doesnt go away for us. My Mother in Law once snapped at me because i was having a bad IBS day while spending the weekend at her house with my husband and kids.She asked me "now whats wrong?!" i told her i was having stomach cramps and she responded with "What the hell is your problem? Every time you come to visit you always complain about stomach cramps?!!!". Wow, nothing like feeling supported huh? If only they could walk in our shoes for one full week!!!
I am having problems with my dog now too. She is a sheltie mix(according to the dog shelter we adopted her from)but i think she resembles more of an Australian Shepard,she is approx. 2-3 yrs old.The problem is when we take her for a walk she just pulls and lunges down the street,pratically choking herself,and ripping your arm off!!! How do you break a dog of that habit? I would love to take her on more walks,but being dragged along is not relaxing!!!!

#76604 - 06/06/04 01:55 PM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

So sorry you feel so overwhelmed. Have been there myself lately and all I can say is please don't be afraid to ask the doctor about it. Like Barbie, I also take Xanax (a very mild dose) which is for anxiety. It's just enough to keep you from going over the edge when things get sooooooo overwhelming.

It seems like some people have a problem asking for help for problems like this yet this can also be caused by physical problems too such as a chemical imbalance etc. but for some reason we feel we may be labeled as weak if we need to ask for this kind of help.

I don't believe in meds as the sole source of getting well. I think we need to put one thing at a time first. Believe me I know how hard that is to do. Try not to think of EVERYTHING that needs to be done or where you have to go all at one time. Try to get through the first thing on your list, then you can concentrate on the next etc. etc.

If I think of everything I need to do or sometimes can't do I stress myself out and just make the IBS worse.

Hang in there hon and when you feel like you're getting stressed just come on the boards and let it all out like you did now. It's a lot better than holding it in.

Please speak to your doctor about how you feel. There are medicines out there that don't have as many side effects as others and sometimes you just need your dosage lowered in order to prevent the side affects you were speaking of.

Take Care and know we're here for you!

Pat

#76615 - 06/06/04 03:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Nugget, I see you already got some really good replies, but I so related that I had to answer too. The way I used to describe it was I wanted the rest of the world to just STOP for 48 hours so I could catch up!!

I have learned some techniques over the years for detaching from my worries. One of the best and easiest sounds simplistic but really works, which is to focus JUST on the present moment and what you can accomplish or do something about right now. Just ask yourself, "What is the next right thing to do?" and then do it. If you find the worrisome thoughts crowding back in, just visualize a stop sign and say "STOP!" to them! It sounds silly but if you do those two things often enough you can train your brain the same way you train your dogs!!

Also, remember that worrying about the future doesn't change a thing, it's just a waste of energy better spent on taking good care of yourself today. As they say,

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the "present"!!

Feel better sweetie. Oh, yeah and Xanax helps a whole bunch!! I take it and look how happy I am!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks for such a great idea, Laura.... new
      #76622 - 06/06/04 03:56 PM
Nugget

I'll give it a try. I also tend to fret about things that have happened or been said that have been hurtful....I just can't get them out of my head and keep replaying the situations over and over in my head....trying to fix them I guess....but I'll give your suggestion a try.

Hubby went to his mom's to do a couple "handy man" things and so I called my mom and my brother was there and they were getting ready to go to the local greenhouse and get some flowers....so I went a long and ended up buying flowers, too. Hadn't planned on buying anything because I had already bought some, but they were so pretty, I couldn't pass them up. And the ride out in the country was nice, too.

patricia.... new
      #76623 - 06/06/04 04:00 PM
Nugget

thank you for being so supportive...I really appreciate it and will ask about the meds.

I'm glad you have a different dentist.... new
      #76624 - 06/06/04 04:04 PM
Nugget

wouldn't want to go to the same dentist as your dog for a teeth cleaning. Ha! Thanks again for listening and for the advice.

remedy for pulling..... new
      #76626 - 06/06/04 04:08 PM
Nugget

I had trouble with one of our goldens pulling, too. I think he could pull a Mack truck by himself if you let him. I got an "anti-pull" harness at Walmart that worked pretty good and then I ordered a regular harness for him for the Drs Foster & Smith catalog. He still pulls a bit, but not as bad and with a harness it doesnt' choke the dog like it does when they pull wearing a collar. Might give it a try.

Doesn't your mother in law know that coments like that don't make the cramps any better...only worse?

Re: Thanks for such a great idea, Laura.... new
      #76655 - 06/06/04 06:24 PM
LauraSue

Yeah, you know a real gardener by the fact that we can't pass up more plants even though we don't really have a place to put them, right??!!

And yeah, I know what you mean about replaying those scenes over and over. But you just gotta stop letting those rude people live rent-free in your head!! Evict em, Nugget, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

OK...I'll try to evict them, Laura....-nt- new
      #76670 - 06/06/04 07:54 PM
Nugget

#76679 - 06/06/04 08:14 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Hey Nugget,
as usual, laurasue has given you great advice...this is just what I was thinking about telling you. I've got those horrible little nagging voices too! Esp. when I'm trying to fall asleep (haha, no wonder I'm an insomniac!). I find that "SHUT UP" works well too. Make a list and tell yourself you can only do one thing at a time--often we can't do anything about most of the things we worry about in the present moment. This may sound silly, but I like to print out a blank schedule of the day divided up into 1/2 hour blocks, then I schedule when and how I'm going to accomplish everything. And what doesn't fit in the day, just doesn't. Tough luck. It won't get done until the next day. Seeing everything written out helps me to relax. And gardening too of course! hope you're feeling better by now

--------------------
--Julie

Re: patricia.... (I"m Here) new
      #76730 - 06/07/04 05:07 AM
Dimples

You're welcome and I'm sooooo happy you're going to check this out with the doctor.

Please let me know how everything goes!!

Pat

#76733 - 06/07/04 05:36 AM
Nugget

Thank you, Tuxedo.....I'm getting ready to go to work and would rather stay home and plant flowers or something.

I'll try your suggestions, too.

I will....-nt- new
      #76734 - 06/07/04 05:38 AM
Nugget

Re: remedy for pulling..... new
      #76738 - 06/07/04 05:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can get these great things called "Halties". They're like harnesses for the dog's head - when they pull, it tightens round their nose, so they behave! It worked wonders with our dog until he worked out how to get the darn thing off. Springer Spaniels are just TOO clever for their own good!

But give it a go. Maybe an internet search would pull them up?

Dogs new
      #76740 - 06/07/04 06:01 AM
Linz

Nugget, do you have friends' dogs round for visits? With two of them, your dogs must be very territorial - they're a mini-pack on their own. Maybe introducing more dogs to "their" ground would help them chill out about passer-bys?

Shock collars sound like a great idea - I wish I'd known about them when our dog was younger!

horrible anxiety this morning.... new
      #76776 - 06/07/04 07:48 AM
Nugget

....the closer it got to time for me to go to work, the worse my D attacks got....so I had to call once again and say I was running late because of my stomach. I called and canceled my GYN appt. for tomorrow because my nerves definately don't need that exam right now. I told them I'd have to reschedule at another date. I tried calling my doctor to ask about the anxiety attacks and they don't answer their phones for another 20 minutes. I called my GI doc and they said I'd need to talk with my regular doctor about the anxiety...so now am just waiting to call my doctor and hopefully not break down on the phone and can discuss it half way normally. Ya know? I've been crying a lot this morning out of frustration with it all. This is the second Monday that I have missed work or been late because of nerves and my IBS-D. I hate this....I was doing soooo well for soooo long. Now I'm half afraid to leave the house.

Re: horrible anxiety this morning.... new
      #76782 - 06/07/04 08:01 AM
LauraSue

Oh, sweetie pie, I'm so sorry life is picking on you right now. Don't worry about crying on the phone -- I'm sure they've heard worse!! Plus it will help communicate to them that they need to take you seriously. I mean if you were laughing and cracking jokes they'd hardly think you needed an anti-anxiety med, now would they??!!

BTW, a quick story about how well meds like Xanax work. In February I was down at my mom's condo in Hilton Head, SC, visiting her. Getting there involves a ride in a small plane from Charlotte, NC. The day I was supposed to leave on that small plane, there was a bad rainstorm and the wind was blowing so hard that the palms were kinda blowing sideways like you see on tv when they're reporting on hurricanes. I took one look out the window and was instantly convinced that if I got on that small plane that day in that weather, I would die, that the plane would crash. I knew it beyond a shadow of a doubt as if it had already happened.

I had just taken a Xanax but it hadn't kicked in yet. Half an hour later, I looked out the window again. It was still raining and blowing just as hard, but it was NO BIG DEAL!! Absolutely no feeling of dread, not even a little nervous. Instead, I knew deep down that everything would be fine, that the airline wouldn't fly if it wasn't safe, that this wasn't a hurricane, just a little rain.

It was all the biochemistry in my little brain!! Thank God for pills!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Nugget new
      #76785 - 06/07/04 08:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry you are still having such a hard time. Have you asked your dr about one of the SSRI's? I take Wellbutrin and feel SO much better. If you remember, I stopped the meds the first of March and felt AWFUL. I started seeing a shrink, started to hypno tapes but nothing helped. I just felt like a could not deal with one more thing or I would explode!

When I went back on the Wellbutrin, it was like someone lifted a heavy weight off of me. It was like after a week of rain, having a beautiful, sunny day. My husband said it was nice to have his wife back! I just can't tell you what a difference it is for me. You describe things exactly how I was feeling. Maybe its time to talk to the docotrs about it. Someone mentioned Xanax, I take that on occasion but its really more for acute attaks of anxiety, its a tranquiler. I think you might be better off on one of the anti-depressants.

Oh, yeah, remember "the flush it" idea! Sounds like you may have forgot about that!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#76788 - 06/07/04 08:09 AM
Linz

Oh sweetie! That's horrible. It does sound like you could do with some meds... I get really panicky without my anti-depressants, so I know what it's like.

Have you got any Chamomile tea? It's really relaxing.

Modays.... new
      #76796 - 06/07/04 08:21 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

... SUCK!

i always get all wound up on Sunday nights. i'm not quite as bad on Mondays, though. maybe i'm just resigned to the inevitable by then! or maybe i'm just always too tired to be anxious on Monday mornings 'cause i never get good sleep on Sunday nights.

i still say we all need a job together where we're all nice most of the time and we understand running late!

--------------------

Re: horrible anxiety this morning.... Laura Sue! Good Job!!! new
      #76810 - 06/07/04 08:54 AM
Dimples

Laura Sue, I think you did such a good job explaining what Xanax does regarding anxiety. To me also it just takes that edge off that is just enough to keep you from going in to a full panic attack.

I am also on them (a very low doseage) but if I don't take them WILL go into panic attacks when the stress gets to be too much! Cannot take any anti-depressants as they do a job on me. Probably because I'm not a depressed person just have anxiety. There are hardly any kinds of pills I don't have a problem with especially, antibiotics. I have sooooo many allergies to meds so the only things I take right now are the meds for my thyroid and the Xanax. (the generic)

My whole family is that way and it was so hard getting my mother on the right dosages of meds for her alzheimers. They keep giving my father different anti-depressants to try that don't work on him either as he is not so much depressed as he is anxious. He was doing so much better on the Xanax but they switched him to an anti-depressant again so he just stopped taking them. Wish I lived closer to him so I could go to the doctor with him and explain it. We have a very low tolerance for certain meds and I was able to explain this to get my mother on the right track.

People need to realize that this IS a medical condition the same as IBS or any other physical problems. It is really caused by a chemical imbalance and some families are more prone to it than others. Of course we inherit these things from one generation to the other if it in our genes. It's like the doctors tell me I have a 100% chance of getting alzheimers too because my mother's both parents had it as did her brother and her two sisters also are in nursing homes with it. HER doctor suggested my sister and I start on Aricept NOW so that we can start early to keep our memories as long as possible. When I see the doctor again this month will let him know what my Mom's doctor suggested.

Went into a long story as I usually do but no one has to feel ashamed that they need to take medications to help them cope with things. It's by not taking it that it gets to the point it is harder to control. No one should have to suffer with these things. Also makes our IBS much worse. Sorry for going on so long when I was just trying to tell you tht you did a good job explaining what Xanax does!!

Hope you're feeling well today. I care!

Hugs,

Pat

Re: Mondays.... Great Idea Jen, BUT! new
      #76816 - 06/07/04 09:06 AM
Dimples

Hi Little Miss Sunshine! LOL

I wish we could all work together too, BUT do you HONESTLY think we would get ANY work done if we all worked together!! LOL We would be too busy talking to each other all day. Not that that's a bad idea. I just don't think we'd be employed very long!!

Oh if only wishes came true!! Well sometimes they do RIGHT!!

Hugs to you and have a good day! Always hated Mondays too when I worked!!

Pat

Re: horrible anxiety this morning.... Laura Sue! Good Job!!! new
      #76826 - 06/07/04 09:27 AM
LauraSue

Thanks, Pat, and you did a great job of explaining it as a medical condition, just something like asthma or diabetes, right?! I'm feeling pretty good today, thanks for asking.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

"Little Miss Sunshine" new
      #76834 - 06/07/04 09:39 AM
jenX

ha!

too bad i don't feel that way! i feel grouchy!

--------------------

#76843 - 06/07/04 09:50 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey,
I'm so sorry you had such a bad morning today.. It's 5:30 PM here, so I was going to ask how the rest of the day went but I just realised morning has only just come and gone for you over there, hasn't it? I am bad with time zones!
I know exactly what you mean about panicking before you go to work, and it making you too ill to make it on time, and that making you panick even more.. it's such a vicious cycle! I had it happen to me twice last week. I'm sorry you couldn't get ahold of your doctor too, why can't they just be available any time we need them?!? Seriously, when I had surgery last year, I was supposed to talk to my surgeon the morning of (to decide if I actually NEEDED the procedure or not) and all I got was his pager, and he never called me back! I had to go down to the hosptial, get 'ready' for surgery just in case I needed it, and then wait to talk to him there! Tsk, tsk.
Well, I hope you did calm down a bit and found your way to work alright. And I hope your D left you alone after that. Let us know how you got on!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: "Little Miss Sunshine" I KNEW that! But You ARE still Little Miss Sunshine most of the time!! nt new
      #76847 - 06/07/04 09:56 AM
Dimples

So sorry, Nugget.... new
      #76878 - 06/07/04 11:50 AM
barbie

Hey Nugget,

I think you are anxious about facing those two dummies at your office. I wish we could have kicked their butts Friday and then they wouldn't be a problem.

I have read the other answers to your post and I agree about the Xanax. I think you are having an anxiety attack and it's not depression. Xanax is great because it is fast-acting (in about 30 min to 1 hr.) and you only have to take it as needed. For instance, this morning, I bet if you had taken one you would not be feeling so anxious....and BTW these anxiety feelings sometimes bring on IBS symptoms, too.
I hope you will ask your doctor about Xanax for these especially anxious times.

Feel better soon
Barbie

PS: Good idea to reschedule your GYN appt. for another less stressful time. Don't need to add any more stress than is needed!

--------------------

Big hugs for Nugget! new
      #76880 - 06/07/04 11:54 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

So sorry to hear what you've been going through, Nugget! You've gotten tons of good advice already so I'm just going to offer a huge hug and hope things get better.

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Oh No, Jen! new
      #76882 - 06/07/04 11:56 AM
barbie

Hey Jen,

Why are you grouchy today? Aren't you feeling well? What will we do without your uplifting posts???? Please don't be grouchy too long!!!

Barbie

--------------------

Was able to get in to see my doctor and now I'm back to work.... new
      #76892 - 06/07/04 12:35 PM
Nugget

Whew....it's been a rough morning but, I think I'm on the right road now. My doctor and his nurse were so supportive and understanding. I even got a hug from the nurse. I told her I hated to even call and she told me that if I call they know I really need something because I don't call for little "piddly" things. She said some people call for everything and cry wolf. Then before I left she told me to call anytime I need something.

The doc is going to try me on Effexor (anti anxiety/depressant) and Klonopin (mild tranquilizer) and see how I do. He said that the Xanex, with my past history of depression, wouldn't be the right med for me. And he wants to see me again in a month.

So, I feel a little better knowing that these meds should make me feel better without the side effect I spoke of earlier. The doc said that the sexual side effect may occur but shouldn't be as bad as with Zoloft that I was on a couple years ago.

There were so many wonderful replies this morning from all of you that I don't have time to reply individually to all of them....but just one great big hug for all of you. Thank you for always being here.

#76897 - 06/07/04 01:03 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

You know we are all always here for ya sweetie.... it may take some of us time to reply....but we are here! I sure hope you are feeling better NOW and are not so overwhelmed....I see you have LOTS to replies that I have not yet read.... but I have a feeling...with this group...you are all cheered up by now!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Was able to get in to see my doctor and now I'm back to work.... new
      #76907 - 06/07/04 01:44 PM
LauraSue

Effexor is what I've been on for years. It keeps me depression free!! I'm so glad you have a doctor and nurse that know you so well and are so nice. Even a hug from the nurse!!! Wow!!

Glad you made it into work. Have a great rest of the day, sweetie.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

for Barbie and all... new
      #76971 - 06/07/04 04:50 PM
jenX

i'm sending you the magic Fairy of All That is Good! she like to tap you with that wand and make a secret wish come true. it may not be the result you wanted, but it will be the right result for you.

so wish away!

(her name is Patricia, by the way, if you don't like to call her by her whole title)

(to answer your question, no i'm not having a lot of good days. it's taking quite an effort to get up and to work and back. i am exhausted -i keep falling over!- and unfortunately i feel grouchy inside when i get this exhausted. but all will be well soon. i'm off to bed. a few good nights of sleep may work wonders!)

--------------------

#76976 - 06/07/04 05:00 PM
jenX

re: Effexor--------- my best friend is on it. after the first 6 weeks or so of no sexual interest (which was a continuation of her depressed state) and a little hyper jitters for about the first 2 weeks she all the sudden settled down but got quite randy! wahoo, was she randy!still is! so, no problem there. and she started to sleep really well, too.

--------------------

#77044 - 06/08/04 04:50 AM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

guess what, i've missed one day a week for the last 3 weeks because of "D" in the morning, including today. it's tuesday and i already had to call in. i'm too scared to say i'm sick, i'm sick, i'm sick all the time...so i said my car wouldn't start! i know it sounds like and excuse but i just cant say, well i'm afraid i'll be running to the bathroom if i come to work today.

#77049 - 06/08/04 05:29 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

So glad you got in to see the doctor. You should be feeling better soon! I've taken the Klonopin on an as-needed basis and it really helps when you are having a panic attack. (It works quickly, but the anti-depressant will take awhile to kick in.) Just don't take too much of it or you will be too sleepy to go to work---or to drive! Let us know how you are doing.

I know how you feel.... new
      #77117 - 06/08/04 08:52 AM
Nugget

I hate to keep calling in sick, too....but I have to. I think it's best to just tell it like it is (not necessarily all the gross details), but then that way they know that it's not "excuses" that something really is wrong. Ya know? Just like this morning....I had some side effects hit me this morning after taking my first dose of Effexor last night....shaky, terrible nausea, tired.....so I called in again and explained EVERYTHING to my employer, the owner, and he was so understanding...even gave me some suggestions with this medication because he has been on antidepressants, too! He knows my health history so that helps, too. I'm lucky to have a very understanding employer and co-workers. Even the two co-workers who were teasing me have been understanding. I'm feeling a little better and may be able to make it to work this afternoon. I hate to use up all my vacation time being sick. I'm already out of sick days.

hang in there! we are all in this together!

sleepy....sleepy.....sleepy.....zzzzzzz..... new
      #77121 - 06/08/04 08:58 AM
Nugget

I had some side effects with the Effexor this morning after taking my first dose last night....shaky, nausea, etc.....so I took some of the Klonopin. The Doc said to take 1/2 or 1 whole pill....but I know how sensitive I am to that sort of thing so I tried to cut in 1/4 pieces and took a piece that was a little smaller that 1/4 and it made me real sleepy. So took a nap and am feeling a bit better now. Called work and told them what was going on and that I would try and make it in this afternoon.....so we'll see. I hope tomorrow isn't like this.

two weeks, huh?..... new
      #77125 - 06/08/04 09:04 AM
Nugget

so I've got two weeks to look forward to doing the "hyper jitter bug"? Glad to know it gets better, though. And...I take it that "quite randy" means "honey, I want to rip your close off and give you a full body rub"

Re: two weeks, huh?..... new
      #77127 - 06/08/04 09:06 AM
jenX

well, it took HER about 2 weeks. the jittery thing happened again when she upped her dose, so it appears to be the normal way her body deals with it.

as for the "randy" bit-- yes, and she's single. she calls with confessions about nasty thought about men she passes in the hall at work!

--------------------

side effects..... new
      #77135 - 06/08/04 09:15 AM
Nugget

I had nausea and jitters this morning after my first dose last night....hope it isn't that way every day. When I was on Zoloft the pills were such that you could break them into a smaller dose which suited me fine...but with this Effexor, they are capsules that can't be divided into a smaller dose. So jumping from the 37.5mg in a week to 75mg has me a little nervous. But, will just have to deal with it, I guess. Thanks Jen...Hope you are feeling better, soon. Maybe you need "randy". Ha!

PS: Nugget new
      #77136 - 06/08/04 09:19 AM
jenX

don't just stop it if you decide at some point not to take it (the Effexor) anymore! i know they tell you that but sometimes people ignore things like that. you've got to eke it down under your doc's direction. if you think your first 24 hour side effects are bad, just know that the withdrawl is much worse! my friend ran out and had an insurance glitch once- she went a few days without while waiting for the next prescription. well, she was a little nuto. got shaky and paranoid. ended up paying a few hundred bucks out of pocket for an early refill....

just a warning. you need to eke it down!

--------------------

actually, Nugget.... new
      #77137 - 06/08/04 09:20 AM
jenX

i'm thinking about asking to try the Effexor when i go to the doctor's office next!

--------------------

Hey Now.....my son's name is Randy..... new
      #77175 - 06/08/04 11:04 AM
barbie

Hi Nugget,

You guys quit talking about my son, Randy.

I hate that meds have to come along with side effects. Your symptoms of nausea and jitters are common for these medicines. The Klonopin might help your anxiety more because it is similar to Xanax and is pretty fast acting.
Also, you can just take a little tiny dose if that's all you need. Be careful driving, etc. because they can make you very drowsy at first and even a little dizzy. That does go away when your body adjusts. I hope the Effexor works for you but if it doesn't, there are a lot of other ones to try...on your doctors recommendation, of course. My sister tried several until she found Prozac and that worked great for her and she is 55yrs old and, so I am told, has a great sex life. Probably more than you needed to know. Ha Ha

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#77775 - 06/10/04 04:11 AM
Dimples

Just saw your post believe it or not and was sooooooo happy you went to the doctor's office and that he gave you something to take care of you. Didn't realize you had a past history of depression or wouldn't have recommended Xanax as I know that's mostly for anxiety.

Am pretty new to the boards so don't get to see all the past posts.

I'm just so glad you saw him and please let me know how you're doing. As I've said before stress and or depression is not a sign of WEAKNESS it's a sign of something else just as any other PHYSICAL ailment is. Sometimes it's due to a chemical imbalance which we have no control over.

Just happy you got it taken care of. If you have any side effects or are not happy the way it's working let your doctor know right away. It usually talkes 3 weeks to a month to notice any change in how you feel for the better.

Take Care,

Pat

Thank you Pat..... new
      #77838 - 06/10/04 07:32 AM
Nugget

So far...the side effects are sleepiness and a little shakey and sour stomach occasionally....but I'm just pushing through and moving along as best I can. The doc told me to give it a chance to work and that my body would get used to it. But, that if it became a problem still after about a week (I'm only on my third day) that he would change something.

Good luck Nugget new
      #77839 - 06/10/04 07:36 AM
Linz

Glad you're giving the drugs a good go. They seemed to take ages to work when I started on them. The side effects seemed to wear off after a bit (though I no longer bawl my eyes out everytime I use contacts - my main side effect is dry mouth, etc - so that's a plus! ).

Re: Thank you Pat..... (Anytime!!!) new
      #77852 - 06/10/04 07:53 AM
Dimples

Sleepiness is probably the biggest side effect. Did the doctor tell you what time of the day to take it? If he didn't (and I don't know if he prescribed it more than once a day) maybe you could try taking it LATER in the afternoon so it will help you sleep but may not make you as tired during the day.

If after the week is over and you feel too sleepy, ask the doctor if he thinks you should be on a lower dose. Some of us can tolerate some meds more than others and some can tolerate higher dosages than others. I can't tolerate too many meds or high dosages either. Everyone reacts differently.

Let me know how you're doing with it. Will be thinking of you!

Pat

Sleepy pills new
      #77854 - 06/10/04 08:00 AM
Linz

I totally forgot - mine knocked me out when I first started taking them, but I take them at bedtime, so it was great! Wish that side effect had lasted

Medications..... new
      #77866 - 06/10/04 08:27 AM
Nugget

I've been taking it in the evening with dinner...once a day. Then in the morning I'm sleepy til around 10 or 10:30 then things get better in the afternoon....today I have a sour stomach and am afraid to take anything for it...don't want to take too many drugs...so am eating saltines and water to calm it down. Will try some camomile tea, too.

Thanks Linz.... new
      #77868 - 06/10/04 08:31 AM
Nugget

I hate taking any medications...but I knew I had to do something. I know I felt better before when I was taking Zoloft for a couple years....and then I did great for a couple years after getting off Zoloft....but, lately I've just been a wreck and nobody knew....I hid my anxiety pretty well....till I couldn't take it any more. Hubby and I had a heart to heart talk about what I've been going through the other night and he, as always, was real supportive. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Re: Thank you Pat..... (Anytime!!!) new
      #77918 - 06/10/04 11:22 AM
LauraSue

Good point Pat. I had to move the time I took them to later in the day because I was nodding off at my computer at work!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Thank you Pat..... (Anytime!!!) THANKS LAURA SUE!! NT new
      #77965 - 06/10/04 01:26 PM
Dimples

I think Pat is a SWEETIE PIE !!!!! -NT- new
      #77991 - 06/10/04 03:30 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13460

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review