All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: remedy for pulling..... new
      #76738 - 06/07/04 05:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can get these great things called "Halties". They're like harnesses for the dog's head - when they pull, it tightens round their nose, so they behave! It worked wonders with our dog until he worked out how to get the darn thing off. Springer Spaniels are just TOO clever for their own good!

But give it a go. Maybe an internet search would pull them up?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dogs new
      #76740 - 06/07/04 06:01 AM
Linz

Nugget, do you have friends' dogs round for visits? With two of them, your dogs must be very territorial - they're a mini-pack on their own. Maybe introducing more dogs to "their" ground would help them chill out about passer-bys?

Shock collars sound like a great idea - I wish I'd known about them when our dog was younger!

horrible anxiety this morning.... new
      #76776 - 06/07/04 07:48 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

....the closer it got to time for me to go to work, the worse my D attacks got....so I had to call once again and say I was running late because of my stomach. I called and canceled my GYN appt. for tomorrow because my nerves definately don't need that exam right now. I told them I'd have to reschedule at another date. I tried calling my doctor to ask about the anxiety attacks and they don't answer their phones for another 20 minutes. I called my GI doc and they said I'd need to talk with my regular doctor about the anxiety...so now am just waiting to call my doctor and hopefully not break down on the phone and can discuss it half way normally. Ya know? I've been crying a lot this morning out of frustration with it all. This is the second Monday that I have missed work or been late because of nerves and my IBS-D. I hate this....I was doing soooo well for soooo long. Now I'm half afraid to leave the house.

Re: horrible anxiety this morning.... new
      #76782 - 06/07/04 08:01 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, sweetie pie, I'm so sorry life is picking on you right now. Don't worry about crying on the phone -- I'm sure they've heard worse!! Plus it will help communicate to them that they need to take you seriously. I mean if you were laughing and cracking jokes they'd hardly think you needed an anti-anxiety med, now would they??!!

BTW, a quick story about how well meds like Xanax work. In February I was down at my mom's condo in Hilton Head, SC, visiting her. Getting there involves a ride in a small plane from Charlotte, NC. The day I was supposed to leave on that small plane, there was a bad rainstorm and the wind was blowing so hard that the palms were kinda blowing sideways like you see on tv when they're reporting on hurricanes. I took one look out the window and was instantly convinced that if I got on that small plane that day in that weather, I would die, that the plane would crash. I knew it beyond a shadow of a doubt as if it had already happened.

I had just taken a Xanax but it hadn't kicked in yet. Half an hour later, I looked out the window again. It was still raining and blowing just as hard, but it was NO BIG DEAL!! Absolutely no feeling of dread, not even a little nervous. Instead, I knew deep down that everything would be fine, that the airline wouldn't fly if it wasn't safe, that this wasn't a hurricane, just a little rain.

It was all the biochemistry in my little brain!! Thank God for pills!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Nugget new
      #76785 - 06/07/04 08:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry you are still having such a hard time. Have you asked your dr about one of the SSRI's? I take Wellbutrin and feel SO much better. If you remember, I stopped the meds the first of March and felt AWFUL. I started seeing a shrink, started to hypno tapes but nothing helped. I just felt like a could not deal with one more thing or I would explode!

When I went back on the Wellbutrin, it was like someone lifted a heavy weight off of me. It was like after a week of rain, having a beautiful, sunny day. My husband said it was nice to have his wife back! I just can't tell you what a difference it is for me. You describe things exactly how I was feeling. Maybe its time to talk to the docotrs about it. Someone mentioned Xanax, I take that on occasion but its really more for acute attaks of anxiety, its a tranquiler. I think you might be better off on one of the anti-depressants.

Oh, yeah, remember "the flush it" idea! Sounds like you may have forgot about that!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: horrible anxiety this morning.... new
      #76788 - 06/07/04 08:09 AM
Linz

Oh sweetie! That's horrible. It does sound like you could do with some meds... I get really panicky without my anti-depressants, so I know what it's like.

Have you got any Chamomile tea? It's really relaxing.

Modays.... new
      #76796 - 06/07/04 08:21 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

... SUCK!

i always get all wound up on Sunday nights. i'm not quite as bad on Mondays, though. maybe i'm just resigned to the inevitable by then! or maybe i'm just always too tired to be anxious on Monday mornings 'cause i never get good sleep on Sunday nights.

i still say we all need a job together where we're all nice most of the time and we understand running late!

--------------------

Re: horrible anxiety this morning.... Laura Sue! Good Job!!! new
      #76810 - 06/07/04 08:54 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Laura Sue, I think you did such a good job explaining what Xanax does regarding anxiety. To me also it just takes that edge off that is just enough to keep you from going in to a full panic attack.

I am also on them (a very low doseage) but if I don't take them WILL go into panic attacks when the stress gets to be too much! Cannot take any anti-depressants as they do a job on me. Probably because I'm not a depressed person just have anxiety. There are hardly any kinds of pills I don't have a problem with especially, antibiotics. I have sooooo many allergies to meds so the only things I take right now are the meds for my thyroid and the Xanax. (the generic)

My whole family is that way and it was so hard getting my mother on the right dosages of meds for her alzheimers. They keep giving my father different anti-depressants to try that don't work on him either as he is not so much depressed as he is anxious. He was doing so much better on the Xanax but they switched him to an anti-depressant again so he just stopped taking them. Wish I lived closer to him so I could go to the doctor with him and explain it. We have a very low tolerance for certain meds and I was able to explain this to get my mother on the right track.

People need to realize that this IS a medical condition the same as IBS or any other physical problems. It is really caused by a chemical imbalance and some families are more prone to it than others. Of course we inherit these things from one generation to the other if it in our genes. It's like the doctors tell me I have a 100% chance of getting alzheimers too because my mother's both parents had it as did her brother and her two sisters also are in nursing homes with it. HER doctor suggested my sister and I start on Aricept NOW so that we can start early to keep our memories as long as possible. When I see the doctor again this month will let him know what my Mom's doctor suggested.

Went into a long story as I usually do but no one has to feel ashamed that they need to take medications to help them cope with things. It's by not taking it that it gets to the point it is harder to control. No one should have to suffer with these things. Also makes our IBS much worse. Sorry for going on so long when I was just trying to tell you tht you did a good job explaining what Xanax does!!

Hope you're feeling well today. I care!

Hugs,

Pat

Re: Mondays.... Great Idea Jen, BUT! new
      #76816 - 06/07/04 09:06 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Hi Little Miss Sunshine! LOL

I wish we could all work together too, BUT do you HONESTLY think we would get ANY work done if we all worked together!! LOL We would be too busy talking to each other all day. Not that that's a bad idea. I just don't think we'd be employed very long!!

Oh if only wishes came true!! Well sometimes they do RIGHT!!

Hugs to you and have a good day! Always hated Mondays too when I worked!!

Pat

Re: horrible anxiety this morning.... Laura Sue! Good Job!!! new
      #76826 - 06/07/04 09:27 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Thanks, Pat, and you did a great job of explaining it as a medical condition, just something like asthma or diabetes, right?! I'm feeling pretty good today, thanks for asking.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review