All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is there room for another newbie intro?
      #75581 - 06/02/04 11:52 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I jumped in and started posting, but I thought I'd say a quick hello anyway.

I'm 29, and I've had IBS and similar issues since I was about 12. It started with nausea pretty much all the time, and gradually worked up to D. For a short while in my early 20s, it swung to C, and then I developed gallstones. Since then, the IBS has been somewhat cyclical - I'll go a couple years with very few problems, and then I'll spend a couple years in near-constant agony.

I live with my boyfriend, who also has IBS, although a much milder case of it than I have (he never gets the nausea, and rarely gets cramping or pain). I would never wish this on anyone, much less someone I love, but I have to admit that it's helpful to live with someone who's 100% sympathetic, supportive, and understanding.

I have yet to be formally diagnosed. I've seen some doctors for this in the past, and have always gotten the dismissive "it's all in your head" bit. I don't currently have insurance, am unable to work, and can't afford a doctor, so it's been a few years. The one sliding-scale clinic in town that I've found (I'm somewhat new here) is more along the lines of a Planned Parenthood, not general medicine. Even so, I've assumed for years that I have IBS; it responds pretty well to the IBS diet, which I've followed on and off for years without even knowing it (it's very similar to eating for gallbladder problems... and during that time, I had NO IBS symptoms).

I'm about to start in on the IBS diet again... well, I'm eating the diet, but I have to wait till the weekend to get my hands on some soluble fiber supplement of some sort... here's hoping it does the trick, I'm rather tired of being housebound and nauseated all the time.

Anyway, that's probably enough babble out of me... I'm sorry we all have these problems in common, but after poking around through other boards and livejournal groups, I'm SO GLAD to have found all of you. I think this is easily the best group of people I've ever seen on a message board.

Thank you, all of you!

Casey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is there room for another newbie intro? new
      #75583 - 06/02/04 11:56 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome Casey...I saw your other post and thought to myself..."SELF: I've never seen her before" Hope you get as much from this site as I do.... my life have impoved 110% I tell ya!!

And to everyone else reading..... Casey is just more proof that IBS effects the pretty people!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#75587 - 06/02/04 11:59 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hi Casey! Welcome! Isn't this website great? I found in a couple months ago, and it's the best thing that's happened to me!
I think you're lucky that your boyfriend has some stomach problems - I know that's bad to say, but I'm sure it makes it a little easier. Planning dinners is hard for me because meats are so limited....I wish my husband would go on the diet with me!

Anyways, hi - and welcome...and hopefully you'll stick around! Good luck!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#75590 - 06/02/04 12:29 PM

Loc: Houston, TX

Welcome, fellow newbie!

You're right, the IBS diet is very similar to the pre-op and post-op gallbladder diet. It's been a huge, huge help for me in dealing with my problem, which I think is a combo no-gallbladder crossed with IBS situation. The net effect is about the same.

My finances are about the same as yours, too.

Hopefully we can help ourselves to get better. I believe we can. I'm awaiting the arrival of Heather's book - maybe it will save me from doing something stupid like I did today. I ate corn and gave myself a nasty little attack.

Hang in there - you've come to the right place!!

-- Aletha

#75604 - 06/02/04 01:15 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi newbies!!!

Welcome to the boards!!!

Also, Shell, you are totally right. Another pretty pretty person with a bad stomach. It must be on the same gene or something.

Ok, you guys are making me blush new
      #75612 - 06/02/04 01:34 PM
atomic rose

Shell and chinagrl - thank you.

Aletha - I feel like we've come to the right place. Here's hoping we can both get things under control - I read your intro post earlier, and it sounds like you're well on your way to that. Good luck & best wishes!

I never actually had my gallbladder out. Were you fortunate enough to have a doctor who told you how to eat? I was trial-and-error all the way, and boy, did it blow. LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes!

Well... new
      #75616 - 06/02/04 01:38 PM
atomic rose

He's pretty good... I do all the cooking, and he pretty much eats what I make without a whole lot of complaint. LOL! I don't think he's necessarily going to be easy to convince to follow the diet, though - he doesn't see his symptoms as problematic, and would rather continue to eat red meat and junk food and soda. Lucky him - my symptoms are just too bad.

But anyway... yes, this website rocks. Thanks for the welcome!

#75617 - 06/02/04 01:44 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hey Casey,

Welcome! This board is great. I have been here about a month and already feel like I am friends with everybody. There is always help and advice and lots of fun.

My neice's name is Cassie.....almost like yours.

Barbie

--------------------

#75736 - 06/02/04 08:54 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

WElcome to the newbies from me too!

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2739 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 844

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review