All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
LOL, joys of dating, long post new
      #74763 - 05/30/04 11:55 AM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

Jen, you are good!! LOL! You have some great ideas!! I think it's hard being a gal. We can't approach the opposite sex in such gusto or with such aggression. Now, I'm pretty extroverted and very friendly but I would rarely make the first move, especially approaching a stranger to strike up a conversation. Ask for their opponion on the "Peachy Ginger tea" at a Cafe, yes, I would do that!! That's one I've got to remember! **SMILE**

Dating is so tuff. I'm enjoying my single-hood too, just me and my cat... but yet companionship is so wonderful.

I'm single and here's where I go...

the gym is a good one. Just don't approach her to chat. Try asking her if you can "work in". Meaning ask her if she will share the machine she's on. That's a good way because you can get close enough to smile and make eye contact. Make sure you wipe your sweat off the machine each time though, it's a nice gesture.

I took a writing class a couple of years ago. Great place to meet someone, all we did was talk! Not a poet..

Join a growth group thru a church. Maybe Christianity is not your thing, but lot's of young people there. Great place to show off your baking skills. Girls love a guy who can bake and cook.

Walk your cat. I'm trying to train mine. Take her to the park for a walk. Girls will flock to a good looking guy walking his cat! I know I would!! Besides, it's funny, it would make me laugh. Most guys don't even like cats!! You have one up there!

Join a running group or biking group. Or a book exchange club.

The best one is....the grocery market!! Everyone has to go...ask her where the floss is. All gals like nice teeth. That would get my attention.

goodluck!

my best advice is don't search just set up "funny or not" senerios. Make her laugh, catch her off guard. Get her attention. ""Accidently"" Knock off all the boxes of tea (when she's NOT looking), if she's nice she'll help you pick them up. If she doesn't help...well...not meant to be. She probably keeps a messy house anyways!! **SMILE**

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks for all the tips new
      #74790 - 05/30/04 03:41 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Quote:

Hey, now that's a thought,maybe you could hook up with someone at your next high school reunion?...just a thought.

Hey Countrygirl, great story. That's so great that things worked out that way. One problem though, I went to an all guys highschool, so a reunion may not be the way to go

Re: LOL, joys of dating, long post new
      #74794 - 05/30/04 03:59 PM
JBI

Hi Genie,

Thanks for the post. It sounds like the gym may be the place to go. I liked your idea about taking my cat for a walk. She's just 5 months old so now would be a good time to get her used to walking with a leash.

I do go to church occasionally, however, it's a very small church and there really is nobody my age.

I also like your suggestion of trying to make her laugh. I gues sthe first instinct is ok, what if I make a fool of myself, but thinking about it, if she didn't find it funny, she probably isn't the type of girl I'm looking for.

However, I do have to slightly disagree with you about girls not being able to be approach the opposite sex with gusto. I think if anything girls are better able to do that. Too often women have their guard up cause they think sleazy guys are going to hit on them, so even if a nice guy tries to talk to them, they don't really respond. On the otherhand, guys don't expect to have a girl start talking to them, so if one does and she's even remotely attractive, most guys will gladly start talking to them cause they're not used to the attention. One caveat though, some guys will think that this interest means that he's getting lucky tonight, which could totally not be the case.

Thanks for the advice,
Jamie

Re: LOL, joys of dating, long post new
      #74799 - 05/30/04 04:11 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

QUOTE:

Too often women have their guard up cause they think sleazy guys are going to hit on them, so even if a nice guy tries to talk to them, they don't really respond. On the otherhand, guys don't expect to have a girl start talking to them, so if one does and she's even remotely attractive, most guys will gladly start talking to them cause they're not used to the attention.

Your'e right actually. Maybe I'll just try it and see what happens...

Whats your cats name? I need to train mine to walk on a leash. SHe's driving me crazy always wanting to go outside. Poor thing. It must be aweful being an indoor cat. She's even put on the pounds from just sleeping all day and looking out the window.

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Re: Advice and cats new
      #74844 - 05/30/04 08:12 PM
JBI

Hey, wait a second... I start a thread seeking advice on how to meet single girls and I end up giving advice on how girls should meet guys? hehe, just kidding, I've gotten lots of great advice.

With regards to my cat, her name is Mags. She's an indoor cat as well, although I can tell now that the weather is nice she's getting interested in outside. I'm going to keep her as an indoor cat, specifically cause up here there's lots of wildlife and lots of raven that are twice as big as her! But sometimes when she's got lots of energy at 4am I want her to be an outside cat so I can get back to sleep.

#74857 - 05/30/04 08:41 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

Have you taken your little Mags to see her doctor.?how old is she.take good care of her.
an all you have to do is walk up an say my name is Jim an can I buy you a drink.ofcourse that would be a coke.lol.
[ Hugs to all }
Gerry.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

How I meet my hubby. new
      #74860 - 05/30/04 09:05 PM
Gerry10

Oh boy that has been 52 years, but I can remember like it was yesterday.he has been the best thing that has ever happen to me.he just came back from Korea.I was living with my girl friend an her mother.an his buddy an him came to her house to see her.[he told me later ]he told them he was going to marry me. an we did three weeks later.an I could go on an on.but it has been a happy 52 years we have had our ups an down like everyone but it is so much fun makeing up.
[ Hugs to all ] Gerry.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

#74865 - 05/30/04 09:20 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Jamie, If the weather is nice and she's, what, 5 months old you say, she's not only interested in the weather but other cats.............MALE cats!!! She can get PG at this age I hope you know. Think about getting her "fixed" soon, unless you want a lot of extra little Mags around!

Don't just get a collar, get a harness if you are going to try to train her to walk outside with you. A cat can slip out of a collar easily, but not a harness since it goes around their tummy too. Besides, you don't want her to choke when she resists the leash…which she will.
Get her used to riding in a car at a young age…………and staying off your lap or wrapped around your neck or legs when you drive. Just go around a block or two at first and work up to distances. Make sure she has the leash and harness on at that time and it's attached to something. Cats will dart out of a car once the door is open in the blink of an eye. That or keep her in a cage in the car……….something they, for the most part, hate. It's not the best way for her to get to actually LIKE riding in a car.

I know what you mean about them rising early. Some cats will drive you nuts doing that, and LOVE every minute of it. Others will sleep in as long as you do. You have a couple choices here………..shut her out of your room the minute she acts up so you can sleep in. (Be prepared for her to scratch at the outside of the door trying to get back in. Put something that smells like citrus on the door. They hate that.) or deal with it until she gets over it and goes back to sleep, or scold her (that usually never works….lol.)

There are some great documentaries on cats from the discovery channel. They cover the history of, or the behavior or some other aspect of felines. See if you can't get these from a local library. (Or don't they have those where you are either?) or catch when they re-run them on TV. You'll find the info very helpful as being a first time cat owner.

Cats are very trainable if you start young. Mags is actually a little old to start, but she's a "ginger" cat and those have always been my smartest cats, so she should do fine, and be able to outsmart YOU when you least expect it!!! Be patient, very patient, and determined and send her mental messages. By that I mean try to make eye contact and send her a VISUAL message of what you want her to do, visualizing (not telling) her what you want her to do…start slow and send the message over and over and she'll eventually pick up on it. Cats really are no different than dogs in that they really DO want to please their owners. You just have to go about it differently with them.

You poor guy……………no dates. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your description of where you live sounds like a cross between the old TV show, Northern Exposure, and the sitcom, "Wings". Am I totally off base here? What's the name of the town you said you were in? You got lots of good recommendations from the others, especially about making Mags the "Chick Magnet" (or is that "Chick Magneto"?)… so I won't add my 2 cents worth, but I did ask my husband, the 28 year veteran pilot, and explained the situation you were in. He said, "Never lower your standards, but you CAN raise your evaluation"………….……………HE WOULD, having been quite the ladies man over the years.
I dunno……….I personally would stay away from the gym…………to intimidating to have those body builder types around, besides a pilot NEVER needs brawn, only brains. It's your redeeming feature………capitalize on IT….the brains, not the pilot thing that is.

Good luck Jamie,
We love you on these boards……..

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Another Saturday night and how I met hubby new
      #74867 - 05/30/04 09:29 PM
jilltrav

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Would you beleive a funeral?
Why not. Actually he owned a club on Long Island- in NY. My cousin was a waitress there and my aunt passed away. He came to the funeral and we met. I was not crass enough to hit on him and he "claims" he doesnt remember me. A few weeks later- we met at the bar and he was instantly in love. It took me a little longer. But we have been together ever since. That was in 1991.

Jill

#74868 - 05/30/04 09:30 PM
Gerry10

Kandee,you said it better then me.I was trying to be nice about getting his cat to the doctor.
[ Hugs an Kisses ]
Gerry.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3028

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review