All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Amitripyline new
      #72927 - 05/24/04 12:36 PM
Mary Ann

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Thanks to everyone that responded to my message about anti-depressants. Especially the info about Paxil. I'm on Zoloft but have to change it. So does anyone know about Amitripyline and IBS C? I think it's called elvail(?)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Amitripyline new
      #72950 - 05/24/04 02:11 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm not sure, but isn't elavil more of a tranquilizer than a SSRI? Why do you have to switch? Have you tried Wellbutrin? I have also been on Lexapro, but the start up and stopping were VERY difficult with that one.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#72955 - 05/24/04 03:10 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I took this for a couple of years. I had heard that it blocked false pain signals from the gut, but I've also heard it dismissed as a sleeping pill. It didn't make me sleepy at all. Your mileage may vary. It worked well for me... made me not sick to my stomach all the time. I did gain weight though, fifteen pounds or so.

#72980 - 05/24/04 04:05 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think I was on this for a while. It certainly helped my IBS, but I switched because I needed something stronger for depression.

#73039 - 05/24/04 06:35 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Amitriptyline (brand name Elavil) is a tricyclic antidepressant. One of its side effects is that it is slightly constipating, so if you are IBS-C it may not be the best choice. Is your doctor recommending it? Does he or she know you are IBS-C?

Elavil is also quite sedating so it's best taken at bedtime. And it causes dry mouth, so lay in a stock of sucking candy!!

I actually take a low dose of Elavil as a sleep aid for my fibromyalgia sleep disorder. I also take Effexor as an antidepressant.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#73058 - 05/24/04 07:01 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Believe it or not, my vet wanted to prescribe this for my little rescue beagle because she was so fearful of everything. They are using it for dogs that have behavorial problems. We never started it, and time healed her emotional wounds. Wish it were that easy with people! Ha!

Re: Amitripyline, careful, it packs on the pounds!! Makes some people crave chocolate!! -nt- new
      #73096 - 05/24/04 08:47 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Re: Amitripyline, careful, it packs on the pounds!! Makes some people crave chocolate!! -nt- new
      #73158 - 05/25/04 08:40 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Some people but not everyone. Since I started it last year, I actually lost weight and now I'm holding steady at 127 (I'm 5'6") for past four months.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Help Need new anti-depressant new
      #73239 - 05/25/04 10:58 AM
Mary Ann

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

I have to change my Zoloft & Neurotin because I will lose my perscription card for them on 8/31. I have clinical depression and a panic/anxiety disorder, terrible shoulder pain and now IBS C. Trying to find 1 drug that maybe will replace both. See my pysc. on 6/1. Help!

Edited by Mary Ann (05/25/04 11:13 AM)

#73504 - 05/25/04 10:45 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Girl that is great!! happy for you, wish it would work for me that way!! Hope it helps you sleep and in your pain too. thinking of you, gayla

Re: Amitripyline
      #73508 - 05/26/04 01:33 AM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

honey I took elvail when my son die of cancer back in 1990.
but then that was before I was told I had IBS.after awhile they took me off of them.they have me on a pain pill call Lortab for all my pain.an tylenol extra strength.I don,t know to much about anti-depressants,do take a sleeping pill to help me sleep.but you see how good it is doing.I,m satting here on the computer writeing to you.Gerry 10

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1137

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review