All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anti-depressants and IBS
      #71661 - 05/19/04 12:18 PM
Mary Ann

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

I'm new to the IBS thingie. Does anyone know which anti-depressant is better to take if you have IBS-C? I've read articles on both Paroxetine (Paxil) and amitripyline. I haven't been able to tell which one will work the best for my problem.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-depressants and IBS new
      #71673 - 05/19/04 12:42 PM
AshleyGraham

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Mount Airy, NC

Hi. I take Zoloft and it seems to help with my IBS. I have IBS with constipation and diarrhea alternating. However my mother takes Paxil and it seems to help her a whole lot. She most has constipation with her IBS. Hope this helps. I'm kinda new to this also. Good Luck.

Ashley

#71688 - 05/19/04 01:48 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome. I am also IBS C. I have been on zoloft and Lexapro and currently on Wellbutrin. I haven't noticed any of them to affect the C. They have all worked about the same. Check out the library section of this board, there are articles on the subject. also do a search with no time limits on antidepressants and you will pull up a lot of posts on the subject!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#71814 - 05/20/04 04:56 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Wellbutrin gave me (and a friend of mine) terrible C. With Zoloft, I had D for the first few days, then everything leveled off. I think a lot of these cause problems one way or the other the first week and then your body settles down. So don't give up on them after a day or two. Your body has to adjust to the med.

#71816 - 05/20/04 05:35 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Paxil is the most non-addictive anti-depressant. I am one of those people who hates taking meds (especially if I think they are going to become a part of my life), so I research them like crazy beforehand, and so far I am med-free (just vitamins and fiber). If I had to start taking one, it would definately be Paxil. Paxil controls anxiety BEFORE it happens...whereas some others like Xanax just calm you down when you having anxiety attacks. My GYN has even said that if I need to take Paxil, it's the safest one to be taking when you're pregnant. Good luck!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: CARA0453 new
      #71863 - 05/20/04 08:02 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I am on Wellbutrin and I'm trying to get pegnant. I have also heard that Paxil is one of the safer one to take while pregnant. Do you know it if is secreted in the breast milk??? I know that Wellbutrin IS and Zoloft ISN'T but don't know about Paxil. I am going to try to stop the Wellbutrin at least for the first trimester, that seems to be the most important time to stop them because the major organs are forming but I'm terribly afraid that I am going to have to go back on something.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#72341 - 05/22/04 05:27 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Paxil is one of the hardest AD's to discontinue. Many people feel horrible when they try to discontinue it. I have a friend who's an RN whose husband felt like he had the flu every time he tgried to stop it. It took months for him to completely get off of it. I've had several friends who've experienced the same problem with Paxil---and it has nothing to do with the dosage. Some took a low dose and some took a high dose. There's tons of info about this online if you do a search.
I've never taken Paxil, so I can't speak from experience, just what others have told me. I did take Zoloft for a long time and have taken Wellbutrin and Celexa---and had no problem discontinuing any of them. Paxil has a bad reputation for this. It was all over the news media not too long ago.

Re: CARA0453 new
      #72353 - 05/22/04 06:23 AM
Cara4503

Yes, Paxil does enter the breast milk - it's a very very small amount. I would just talk to your GYN about the meds - if you need to go on something, don't worry! My GYN is so cool about things like that - there are no studies that say these meds harm babies. Good luck getting pregnant!!

--------------------
~Cara~

#72354 - 05/22/04 06:28 AM
Cara4503

Wow. I did not know that.....but as for me, I had absolutely no problem going off Paxil. Neither did my neighbor. I was on Xanax before though, and I was addicted to it for awhile, which I HATED. I'm sure everyone has different reactions to different anxiety pills - if everyone reacted the same there'd only be one brand!

--------------------
~Cara~

#72410 - 05/22/04 10:53 AM
LuvThatWhiteDot

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Michigan

I ruptured an ovarian cyst in '99, and began to have terrible anxiety attacks. Two years of therapy and a little Xanax along the way helped tremendously.

The only person I knew who had Paxil had a horrible time coming off the drug. She told me that even though she wasn't having any more children she read in the patient leaflet that it can get into breast milk in small amounts.

Back to lurking in the corner

--------------------
White Dot
Making life miserable for 10 pins everywhere

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 811 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1370

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review