Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
So its gallstones. Have some questions
      #71214 - 05/17/04 05:53 PM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

hey there.
just confirmed with my doctor that I have multiple gallstones. Seeing a surgeon for consultation in a few days. I know they say you can have them 'zapped' i also hear they grow back
so i'm guessing i'll have my gallbladder removed.
I'm afraid of surgery, but i'm more afraid of continuing to live sick like this.

I have felt like I've been following the diet to the letter and still getting sick, so i'm guessing this is why.

anyway. if you've had this surgery. was it outpatient? if not, did they let baby and dad room in? (gramma can take my two older girls but baby is nursing and needs to be with me). What was your recovery like? how long?
I babysit other kids - should i make sure i have a few days off? a week?
How long until you could eat normally again? ever?
is it possible to have gallstones removed and still be sick with ibs?

any other information, suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.
thanks!

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So its gallstones. Have some questions new
      #71265 - 05/17/04 09:00 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Barb, from my old home town I grew up in, went to school in, college in and taught in for many years........

Anyway, I've had my gall bladder out, and if it were me, and I had the choice back then, I'd zapped them (well the one, but it was big as a golf ball)..and not had the surgery........sure it's easy enough, and you're young enough that you will likely go home same day from having the gallbladder surgically removed, but I was 46 and at the time and they made me stay over night. If you have it out, and you are a "D" already, it could get worse. You also have adhesions to worry about. I had adhesion pain 2 years after mine was out, like you wouldn't believe. It went away, but nonetheless the pain was there for about 6 months. Then you have the risk of infection or something going wrong where you have to let them cut you open and do it the old fashioned way..........and that's a LONG recovery. You can have ones lodged in the bile duct that they miss, although they say they put a camera there so they don't miss any stones, but I've heard of it happening...then also there may be problems with the duct they clamped off.......I've got news for you........once with out a gallbladder you will not process fats and have to eat LOW, LOW fat for the rest of your life. The fats you eat will enter the liver and then slowly, drip by drip work their way out......where if you have the gall bladder making bile, it helps to process the fats. Now, if you have it zapped, you still will have to eat low fat so you don't produce stones, and another thing that does is going without eating. You'll find that gall bladder surgery is much more of a money maker for the surgeon than zapping them so that's what they are going to push.......but if your stones are small why not have them zapped, IF that's an option, and then I believe there is a med you can take as well to keep them from forming. Nope, that organ is there for a reason, and if you can bring it back to health I'd do so..........

Yes, you will need some time off if you have the sugery, even laproscopically...........you need to rest and heal.....you'll know when you're ready to go back to work.

Having your gall bladder/or just stones is not going to make your IBS go away, sorry.

Just my opinions..........since you asked.

Kandee

--------------------

#71276 - 05/17/04 11:28 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Barb,I had day surgery. Went early in the morning and came home later that evening. I slept until the next day. I took pain meds for about 2 weeks, I am a weinie. I cant imagine lifting a baby, I wouldnt have been able to keep children for a couple of weeks. And then they would have had to big helpers. Take care of yourself honey, you only get one body. It is hard to stop life when you have a baby, a nursing baby at that. Hope all goes well, take care of yourself, God Bless You !

Re: Kandee that was great!! new
      #71277 - 05/17/04 11:37 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

She is right, your IBS will not go away. I had to have mine removed, it was full of stones. I had no choice, and now that she mentions it, I had adhesions too, and I hurt for a long time also. Laparscopic is the only way to go, I dont think they do it the other way unless it is an emergency and just cannot be avoided. My GI told me that it takes a year for the body with Ibs to recover.

#71281 - 05/18/04 12:37 AM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

yes I did have my gall bladder remove the whole thing,it is better that way.went in that morning had surgery an was home by noon.you have to get up an walk so you can get the gas out of you.it wasn,t bad.they put you out do there thing an then you are up going home.so please don,t worry.
I know I,m not one to talk I don,t like hospital.but really it wasn,t bad.just take it easy for a while. Gerry

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Had gallbladder out May 7th new
      #71311 - 05/18/04 06:17 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

Hi Silk,
I had my gallbladder removed alittle over a week ago. Surgery was at 8:30am and I was home at 2:30pm. Family are allowed in the pre-op and recovery. I was IBS with D , but suffered mostly with nausea, since the surgery I have had one episode of D two days after my surgery, the nausea is completely gone. Without dealing with the nausea everyday I feel 100% better, which helps lessen my anxiety.
After I got home from the hospital I slept the rest of the day and took a total of 3 pain pills the following day. On the 3rd day I was able to walk around more, but was still alittle fuzzy from the surgery. Everyday there was less pain, which wasn't to bad of pain to begin with.
It will be hard to carry your baby for awhile, even cradling may be difficult due to where the incision is. I would talk to the doctor about breast-feeding because they will be giving you some nasty meds in the hospital. Could you express milk for a few days? May be the best thing due to the meds.
If you suffer from the nausea like I did, it was a godsend surgery for me, just to releive that.

Hope this helps you some,
Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

Re: Gallbladder surgery new
      #71360 - 05/18/04 08:13 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I had mine out laproscopicaly (SP?) a few years ago. The surgery wasn't a big deal. I went in early and was home early afternoon. I did take the pain pills that day and just slept until the next day. I had it done on Thursday and was back to work Monday. I was still a bit sore and bloated from the gas they pump in you. You will have to be careful lifting the baby, that might be a few days. I agree, you need to check about breastfeeding with the meds they give you. I really didn't have any problems or complications. I am mad that they told me there wouldn't be hardley any scares, I have 2 KELOD white, puffed up scares in the middle of my abdoman, the 2 smaller ones off the the side are not as bad.

My IBS got worse, if anything, after the surgery! Sorry to say but the surgery may not eliminate all your medical problems! Don't sweat the surgey, thoug, its not that big of a deal!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#71526 - 05/18/04 09:17 PM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

ok. more questions then. lol

I've never been diagnosed with IBS (yet). Everythign i've read symptom-wise led me to believe i have it. If they do take the gallbladder and I still have issues, obviously then they'll probably give me the official diagnosis.
I"m ibs-C if i do have ibs. I can go 5-6 days. the pain from bloating, gas and constipation and the constant nausea is killing me. I eat anything but bread, rice, pasta, potato and i get sick. I've tried to add beans, a bit of white meat chicken or turkey, applesauce - and i get sick. If i eat too much i get sick.
SO maybe with the gallbladder gone i'll at least not have the nausea? is it possible that this IS the problem and its not iBS at all?

as for breastfeeding, i spoke with a lactation consultant today who reminded me that women breastfeed after cesareans. So i just need an anesthesiologist who knows i'm breastfeeding and will give me a spinal or somethign compatible instead. as for the pain meds, some of those are also compatible. After my csection with my daughter i took the pain meds for two days only and then weaned myself - and she was nursed of course. My son is almost 10mos old so i'm guessing he'll be ok if i'm given meds that are ok for bfing moms.

i'm going to try to have a full week off from the kids i babysit - obviously i'll have my own kids, but my teen gets out of school for the summer next week so she can help me with the baby. The preschooler will be just fine snuggling me and bringing me crackers. lol. I usually nurse in bed lying down on my side, i may have to come up with something new, i do have a boppy nursing pillow which i think might help.

so i guess my questions are:

if my gallbladder processes fat, and its removed, does that mean i have to eat fat free forever? cuz others have told me once hte gallbladder is removed you can eat pretty much anything IF that is the main problem.
and second ?
If the gallbladder is removed and i still suffer from these attacks of gas, bloating, constipation, nausea - will they do more testing or will they diagnose me with ibs?

tia for your help and kind wishes

barb

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 697

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review