All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
what are you thankful for, what makes you happy? obscure things only.
      #69986 - 05/12/04 07:41 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i was walking barefoot in the back yard today and on my way walked through some moss. i have always loved moss. isn't that an odd thing!? but i do. that's my favorite spot in our yard for that very reason. it made me happy to just stand there, under a pine tree, with my feet in some soft green moss.

that got me thinking about things that are happy-making to me that other people just might not "get." i thought of some others.... i like the smell of skunks. (strange, no!?) and i love the feel of velvet. i'm really thankful for soft stuff like that! hmm.... what else did i come up with!? colors make me happy. that sounds dumb, but i mean.... colors really really make me happy. i love anything with tons of color. don't care what it is! a NY shop with flowers in rows in the front. love that! skeins of yarn at the yarn shop. rows of pens and pencils and paints at the art shop. even a parking lot full of cars when the sun is shining brightly. those are all really colorful things that make my heart happy. (yes, i'm a dork, but c'mon--- you're all just as dorky in your own ways!)

what do you love that is weird/obscure!?

(Tip: puppies and kittens and babies aren't weird or obscure. we all love those things! neither are rainbows or your husband/boyfriend. well- they may be weird, but not the kind of weird i'm talking about here!)

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what are you thankful for, what makes you happy? obscure things only. new
      #69993 - 05/12/04 08:19 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

hmmm...ok I'm really happy for my professor's couch. NO! It's not what you think--get your mind out of the gutter. I had class at my prof's home last night and she has THE BEST COUCH EVER. I seriously never sat in anything so comfy and soothing and the fabric felt so wonderful on my skin (I had on a sundress). Apparently her dog agrees with me--my dress is covered in dog hair! He's makes me happy too, but I know he doesn't count. It's funny you asked this question, because I literally thought to myself for a full 5 minutes while tuning out the discussion, 'this couch is wonderful.'!

the smell of a new box of crayons. beads--like to go to a bead shop and look/touch all the beads. apple cider vinegar because it smells like Easter eggs. orange jelly beans (yes, only orange!). jars of pickles in the deli.

i'm sure there's other stuff, but my mind is dead right now.

--------------------
--Julie

#70001 - 05/12/04 08:59 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I love windows! I like being able to look outside, even if it's raining or icky. I love walking in thunderstorms in the summer, when it's warm enough the rain feels good, not freezing (there was one Sunday night when I was walking home from my best friend's, it was glorious).

Also, I tend to perch on things. I'll sit up on tables, desks, counters, arms of wooden couches, in windows, whereever I can. That makes me happy as well. Not sure of anything else, need to get sleep so I can take a linear algebra exam in the morning...

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#70005 - 05/12/04 09:26 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I love dishes! Old dishes, with roses and gold accents. New dishes, brightly colored. My new red tea pot, I love the shiny enamel coating. New panties, yes, that is a little weird, huh? A freshly painted room, opening a new can of paint and trying to decide what kind of food it reminds me of. We had heavy thunderstorms here yesterday all day. I walked from room to room opening the windows that didnt have rain splashing in, watching the trees (we have a lot of pecan, and majestic oak tress) they are so amazing and awesome flowing and whipping with the wind and the rain. The thunder was awesome, had lots of it. My fav kind of day.

The beach in the evening, about 30 minutes before the sun goes down.love that.

Shopping for new plants for my flower beds, I love the pinks and the purple, so thats what I have and my beds are loaded with blooming plants, lots and lots of flowers. Keeping a little ceramic pitcher full of water out there to let my sweet little lizards get drinks. They love it too, they are constantly in it.

ok, moving on, i could just talk about this kind of stuff forever.

------------

Dont tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big your God is !!!

#70037 - 05/13/04 07:44 AM
LuvThatWhiteDot

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Michigan

I like the smell of a Zippo lighter after it's been lit. I like different kinds of ceramics for the kitchen, like silly salt and pepper shakers, spoon rests, scrubby holders, that kind of stuff.

I also LOVE the smell of DubbleBubble Bubble Gum!

--------------------
White Dot
Making life miserable for 10 pins everywhere

#70040 - 05/13/04 07:48 AM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

I love the smell of a good pool hall, even though I hate smoke and I hate pool...because it reminds me of my boyfriend who is incredibly obsessed with the game (sport in his mind!)

Amanda

#70064 - 05/13/04 08:57 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi,
I am gonna kinda copy Jen by saying that I like soft things.. I have 2 of those velux (sp??) blankets (you know, the ones they have in lots of hotels now..) at home (in Canada) and I could wrap myself up in one of those and be content for an entire day! I also have a large selection of flannel things, soft/fleecy pillows and blankets.
Weirder? Um.. I really enjoy organising money.. I like to let my money at work get unorganised so I can go through it and put it in order, with all the heads facing the same way.. I like to find somewhere really messy (a shelf, a drawer) and go through and organise it IF IT ISN'T IN MY OWN ROOM - I only enjoy doing it at work and stuff. At home, I am the messiest person alive.
I like the way sea weed feels between your toes under water.
I enjoy watching people try and fix something that won't be fixed (a VCR timer, a toaster..)
I like waking up half an hour before my alarm goes off (as long as it's not tummy waking me up) and being able to lie there for half an hour, half awake and half dreaming so that for the rest of the day I can't actually remember what conversations I have actually had and which were just dreams.
There are lots more, probably, but I don't wanna bore you all to death!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

what are you thankful for, what makes you happy? obscure things only. new
      #70091 - 05/13/04 09:52 AM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

This post is to good to let die...let's keep it going for awhile.

I like patting things in stores - vases, fabric, boxes of stuff, spools of thread - I walk around going pat pat pat. It drives my daughter nuts. I like running my hands through bins of smooth things - shells, stones, beads. I don't do that at bulk foods but I sure would like to. I like real feather pillows that smell just a bit musty and are pretty flat so I can scruntch them up. I like very very soft beds that you can sink into. I like it when my cat puts one paw on my cheek in passing just to say hello. All these things make me happy.

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

#70100 - 05/13/04 10:27 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

GOSH.... I'm gonna have to think about this.... it might be a few posts?

My green & black checker short pj's.... they feel so soft.

"Dylan Blanky" it is a plum colored SOFT blanket that Shane's nephew (who was 1-1/2 at the time) gave it to me for my 1st Christmas home with Shane. I sleep with it every night and curl up on the couch with it too!

Running my finger on the little dip on the skin above my upper lip before my nose. It is so soft and smoothe....I used to do that instead of sucking my thumb....I still do it to this day (when I don't feel well, and I'm trying to nap).

The smell of rain when it hits the pavement after it has not rained for a long time.

The smell of candles

The smell of coffee (even though I can't have any)

Watching kids play at the park on my lunch break (I don't have kids) it reminds me of my FAVORITE teacher Ms Marney from pre-school.... I can still see her face and smell her perfume. She used to write down the actions and the words that the kids would do while playing..... she gave them to my parents.... I smile when I read them. What it was like to be young and have no worries about anything..... just playing.

What I win the "what is it game"....hehehe makes me feel smart!! I SUCKED in school

Hearing the birds chirping outside the window there is a nest that I have watched them build

The sound of "You've got mail"....hehehe I know that bugs a lot of people but it makes me happy.

When I go to the inbox of my email and see one that from email address starts with Shane..... I get goose bumps everytime.

When the clock says 4:45pm!! TIME TO GO.......

When I wake up in the morning and realize I still have time before I have to get up...... even if it is only 5 mins.

When I pull into a parking lot that is FULL and someone right in front is pulling out!! "MINE"

ok.... that is all for now......

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (05/13/04 10:32 AM)

#70102 - 05/13/04 10:30 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

thunderstorms, springtime with flowers in bloom, the smell of fresh cut grass, long hugs with my husband, the smell of my grandmother's perfume (bird of paradise), certain smells in the kitchen bring back childhood memories, little house on the prarie, the first snowfall, clear starfilled nights, long walks in the forest, being in an art supply store when money is not an option, the smell of crayons, the way my dogs welcome me home, memories, .............I could go on and on.......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17156

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review