All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Quit my job today... new
      #69667 - 05/11/04 08:00 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

HELLO are your parents related to my parents!?!! I just went through the same ordeal about quiting my job in December. Funny I am a grown woman, legal in every sense of the word, married and yet I don't feel that way with my parents. What matters is what is best for you and then what is best for you and your husband. My GP told me to check out books on boundries and relationships. Good for you quiting your job and persuing what makes you happy!

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cara {{{{{{{{hugs for you}}}}}}}}} new
      #69683 - 05/11/04 09:39 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I can almost feel the stress lifting off of you, you are so blessed to have your sweet hubby.

I was fortunate to be able to stay at home and raise my 2 boys. I will never take my husband for granted because he worked so hard so that we could live that dream. He is a great man. I think your guy will be a great dad too. I have so many wonderful memories with my sons, I wouldnt trade it for anything. At the same time, I do not have work experience, I dont know what I would do if I had to go to work tomorrow. I do want you to remember that this is the only life you will get, live it your way, live it good. I understand the mom thing, my mother in law is the one who made my life as miserable as she could. I used to think that her main goal was to wake up every morning and plot what she could do to hurt me, and it just made me dispise her. That pain caused me to suffer mentally and phsyically, she tried to make me look as if I wasnt a good mom or a good enough wife for her son. I was young and tender hearted, some how I made it through it all. My kids think I am the greatest mom on earth, hmmmmmm, it makes me feel as if I rose from the ashes.

Dont be too hard on your mom, she really does love you in her own way. She and your dad will come around. Children are the greatest little things God ever gave us, I know you will be great in what ever you do. You are in my prayers honey!!

------------

Dont tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big your God is !!!

#69684 - 05/11/04 10:05 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Cara! nicely done. It sounds like you'll be much happier.

My Dad sounds similar to your parents. It can be frustrating although I am greatful for him playing the devil's advocate. I like to think of him as a challenge, if I can debate the reasons with him and get him to see my point of view, it means that I really have thought out my decision. But, it's still very frustrating sometimes.

I thin kit's awesome that you've put yourself, your happiness and your potential family's happiness above your career. Those are the important things in life. At the end, no one remembers how good they were at their job, but everyone remembers how good a friend, family memeber, parent and loved one they were.

Good Luck!

#69701 - 05/12/04 05:56 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Hi Cara!

I want to commend you for doing what you feel is best for YOU!!! I'm a grandmother so maybe a LITTLE older and wiser with age but I know from experience that YOU have do what makes YOU happy in life. We are only given one life and need to live it to the fullest. You did the right thing because your job was making you unhappy and causing stress. I know us parents can sometimes be overwhelming although I really try not to be as I know everyone has to do in life what they WANT to do, not what we as parents think is best for them. I know your parents love you and after the shock wears off they will calm down about the change you made.

When you have children everyone will be telling you how to do things also, but just go with your gut instinct. I think that has what has gotten me through life so far.

I wish you the best and please don't feel any guilt. I think your parents just need to realize that you're all grown up and capable of making your own decisions. I guess sometimes we need to hear a note like yours to smarten up some of us older ones so that we know when to keep quiet and know that are children are capable of making their own choices in life. Good Luck to you and your husband!!!

Pat

#69713 - 05/12/04 06:44 AM
Dolphin

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: NY, USA

Good for you!!! You have to do what makes you happy. And I have to tell you that working with children is sooooooooo wonderful...I love it....that's what I do. I know how hard it is when you have people against your decision, but you said your husband supports you and that makes a world of difference. Hopefully, your parents will come around in time and accept your decision. I know a friend of mine who was so successful in her job (made lots of money), but she wasn't happy. So she went back to school and got her teaching degree and she is so much happier now. So I think it's important to follow your heart and you made the right choice.

Re: Good for you!! new
      #69733 - 05/12/04 07:37 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

No problem.. I totally understand what you are saying. Life's too short to do something you aren't totally in love with!! Good luck on quitting smoking! I just quit about 8 months ago, and I never thought I could do it! I had smoked for about 5 years, but I feel alot better now, and I have more money in my pocket! Good luck with that!

--------------------

#69797 - 05/12/04 10:14 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Cara, good for you. One of the biggest life lessons I've learned to date is that I can STAND to have people mad at me. It may be uncomfortable but I don't die!!

And neither will you!! You'll not only survive, you'll THRIVE!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69916 - 05/12/04 04:21 PM
CarmenP

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia

Well done for doing what is in your heart!! What kind of job you do in life is not nearly as important as being happy while you do it.

I work with children (Im a pre school teacher) and love my job - even though it does have its moments!!

Work towards what you want to do. It will make you a stronger, happier person!!

THANK YOU! new
      #70246 - 05/13/04 06:15 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I don't know if everyone who replied to my post will still read this or not - but I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to you all. You made me feel much better.
I have been feeling much better about my decision these past few days, and my mom actually called me the other day and we talked it through! She will always be tough to please, but I think I made a good first step - and it was really hard for me to do.

Thanks everyone for you wonderful words! I love this board!
Have a great weekend.
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Jobs new
      #70251 - 05/13/04 06:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm...I'm going to do this soon. And I totally get the thing about parents. I've always done the "sensible" thing and now I think I want to do something fun that's not really difficult (why do I think doing difficult things is better???? ).

Hope it all goes well! How much notice do you have to work?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12020

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review