All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gallbladder out !!
      #68952 - 05/10/04 06:53 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

Morning all, I had my gallbladder surgery fri. morning, everything went well. Still feeling sore muscles this morning, but only had to take 3 pain pills over the weekend. Thank you all for making me feel better before the surgery, like all had said it was no big deal.

Have one question for all who have had the surgery laproscopically, ....right shoulder pain??? why? Out of all the places to have pain, my shoulder and neck are the worst, what causes this?

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gallbladder out !! new
      #68959 - 05/10/04 07:13 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

That pain is probably from the air they pumped in you to make the surgery easier for them. It may take a while for is all to dissipate, I had the same kind of pain too!

Glad to hear all went well!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#68966 - 05/10/04 07:34 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Glad to hear you are feeling well. I agree with Michelle about the gas as the source of the pain. I had laproscopic surgery about 8 years ago, not for my gallbladder but for some random ovary thing (I'm fine), and my shoulders ACHED like someone was squeezing them. I could deal with the sore incision and the sore muscles, but man did my shoulders kill. Well my parents' next door neighbor is an OBGYN and the chief of staff at the hospital where I had it done, and he said it's definitely from the gas they use to kind of inflate you a bit while they are in there. It will absorb back into your body in a couple of days and you will feel fine. In the meantime, continue to go easy on the pain killers. Most of them are not great for our tummies! When you abdominal muscles are sore already, the last thing you want is to get sick!
Feel better and milk this for all it's worth from anyone who will take care of you!
AP

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

PS -- new
      #68967 - 05/10/04 07:36 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Fun fact -- my grandmother doesn't have her gallbladder, appendix OR spleen, and she got these out about 60 years ago, way before laproscopic surgery. Her tummy looks like tic-tac-toe ... so be grateful for tiny incisions! Did they go in your bellybutton? They went in mine and I swear it's looked like a raisin ever since (but really only I notice these things).

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: PS -- new
      #68999 - 05/10/04 09:57 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

that's funny about the tic tac toe, my mom was the same way, she had everything out the old fashioned way.
Yeah, they did the belly button, I have 5 "stab wounds" in total. The belly button and right below the breast bone are the two that are sore and bruised.
This shoulder pain is crazy, can't wait for it to end. As far as milking it goes, I was left alone today, but was waited on hand and foot all weekend, I think I was being annoying, lol. Oh well back to work tomorrow.

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

Gas!!! new
      #69012 - 05/10/04 10:26 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

You got pumped full of a bunch of funky gas to blow you up so they could see things inside. It creates pains in the strangest areas. The more you can move the more it will work it's way out. Walk around a little whenever you can. It'll just take time so be patient, ok?

Glad all went well for you. You'll heal in no time!!!
Remember, you have to be super careful about fats now. You can't process them as well with the GB out. You may become more "D" too. I didn't but many do.

Kandee

--------------------

#69018 - 05/10/04 10:49 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!
Glad to hear that your surgery went well Sorry about the shoulder pain, that's the worst part of laparospic surgery in my opinion, that awful gas pain. It should pass soon enough though.

I've actually got a question for you if you don't mind. I've been posting a bit here lately about potentially having gallbladder problems and just thought since you just had yours out you might have some advice. Bascially, I've been having a lot of symptoms of Gall Bladder Disease and about two months ago I had what I think was a gall bladder attack. I just had an ultrasound which showed sludge in my gall bladder and thickening of the gall bladder walls. My primary doc (who ordered the ultrasound) wasn't really sure what to make of it, so he said my GI should look at it, but my GI doc won't let me have an appointment because he didn't order the test! Did you have any similar problems? Why was yours taken out?

My primary symptoms include severe indigestion, gas, bloating and diarrhea, as well as upper right side abdominal pain and cramping.

Thanks!
Kelly

#69029 - 05/10/04 11:32 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Hi Colby!

Had my gallbladder out the same way as you did when the new procedure had just came out. I asked to go home the same night, which I did but I was up all night with pain in my left shoulder. The surgery itself didn't bother me too much but the pain in the shoulder was terrible. Know how you feel. If I remember correctly the doctor had said it was due to the procedure as they actually almost vacuum it out after it has been surgically removed with microscopic instruments. I think it lasted only a couple of days but the first night was the worst for me!

Kandee is right!!! Most everyone I know suffer bouts of D after the surgery and sometimes for months after. If you do notice it goes on for longer than 2 weeks let your doctor know. Back then they didn't say not to eat fats but that is the biggest culprit! The doctor told me that most people get their gallbladder attacks after eating Chinese food and the second was Sub sandwiches.

Hope you feel much better soon!

Pat

#69068 - 05/10/04 12:50 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I think I have posted this before but my son had sludge in his gallbladder, too. It was hardly even functioning. He had terrible pain and even had to go to the emergency room several times. Finally, he had his gallbladder out and feels great. Hope this helps.

Barbie

--------------------

#69089 - 05/10/04 01:12 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Colby, during surgery they put air into the body, sometimes this air will work itself up into the upper chest and shoulder area. The pain comes from the pressure of the air. But, to be sure, it would be a good idea to call your surgeon and let them know, they might have a different explanation. Hope it gets better soon. You will be up and around in no time. I did.

------------

Dont tell God how big your storm is, tell the storm how big your God is !!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 603 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2374

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review