All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Kandee new
      #67757 - 05/05/04 09:21 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i understand what you're saying. it's funny, i have had many of the same symptoms for all of the years i can remember (don't remember childhood so much, but do remember bad "growing pains."). i am 33 now and remember the TMJ stuff in high school and the carpal tunnel around that time or maybe early college years. ever since, it's been aches and pains galore, none of which had an explanation. recently, of course, i have the intense fatigue, which i hadn't had before to this degree, so in a way, that's new. i guess i have always been hoping that it would all go away sometime. the idea of it being chronic is demoralizing! oh well, i got through the last 33 years, i can get through the next 33 and the 33 after that, right? i have decided to pretty much just keep doing what i've already been doing and add two things: 1) i must work on getting deep sleep, because i know that will make me feel better and 2) i can now, at least, get the occasional prescription of muscle relaxants and pain meds, which was like pulling teeth BD (before diagnosis!).

i am going to be looking into acupuncture soon, actually. i've read that some people find it beneficial. some also find relief from acupressure. the one thing many people seem to be pleased with, however, is YOGA. i've got to get into a class soon!

yes, with the goiter (horrible word, i agree), ice wouldn't be too comfortable. sorry, didn't realize that was (yet another! ) medical problem on your list. poor you! glad to know the ice on the back of the neck may have helped, some. that's good news.

i read something the other day about myfacial pain, and there were some tips for relaxing the jaw muscles. that's got to be where your headaches are coming from. the tips showed an almost acupressure-like spot to press on that may help relieve the pain. if you're anything like me, you've probably dug your fingers into your jaw out of instinct, just to get the dang pain to stop (oh, how i remember the TMJ! i'm sooooo glad that went away -for now?!- and i totally feel for you, Kandee). i'm not going to try to remember the spots right now, but i'll see if i can come up with a way to explain them to you tomorrow (i'm off of work and will be home by the book!). i don't want to mess up and accidentally cause you MORE pain!

by the way, i've tried some of the suggestions from this book (title!? can't remember!) in regards to using a tennis ball to do a kind of makeshift acupressure. it REALL WORKS! i was so impressed. i have a horrible spot on my neck/shoulder that has been tight for 2 1/2 years (yet "there's nothing wrong" according to the doctor! ARGH!). the tennis ball thing really went a long way to making that more bearable. also used it to loosen up some muscles in my hips that really drive me crazy (probably from wearing high heels 24-7! ). but now i'm babbling again!

as for the vitamin drip, i'm going to ask my new doctor about B12 specifically, since there's a genetic thing in my family in regards to that. but otherwise, i had never given it a thought 'til you mentioned it. didn't know it was an option. i will mention it to my doc. (i have a book i take notes in just in case the fog rolls in. i hate when i go blank at the doctor's office or at the autoshop!)

thanks for chatting about this! i really like feeling like i have company in this.... hopefully you aren't a fibro chick, but still it's nice to be able to talk through stuff with people, especially people i already know i like! so thanks again.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: i concur as well, TB., but.... new
      #67771 - 05/05/04 09:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I reckon I've had Fibro since a virus in high school! Sounds like a common story. But it didn't stop me doing anything through my teens and I'm enjoying life now fine! (Except that my job sucks, but that's another problem )

meds and money new
      #67776 - 05/05/04 09:35 AM
Linz

It sucks that being sick is big money to someone, but I guess at least it means more companies are interested in finding meds for our weird and wonderful complaints!

Btw, I can only go see all these doctors because I've got private medical insurance on TOP of NHS benefits! And I can only use that because I was on my parents policy so my membership dates back to well before all this started!

Massage new
      #67778 - 05/05/04 09:36 AM
Linz

Just make sure it's not an airy-fairy, strokey aromatherapy massage. They're great for smelling nice, but not good for loosening joints!

Re: Laura Sue new
      #67827 - 05/05/04 10:52 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Kandee,
From what I've read, it's best to start with traditional Swedish. I also will be telling her I have fibro so not to press too hard. AND that I have fragrance sensitivities so no aromatherapy oils for me either, as Linz said.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks Linz and Laura Sue.... new
      #67848 - 05/05/04 11:49 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I love it when Linz said
Quote:

Just make sure it's not an airy-fairy, strokey aromatherapy massage. They're great for smelling nice, but not good for loosening joints!

Someone wanna explian the "airy-fairy, strokey " to me.........oh how I love the Brit's language.

Ok, will stick with Swedish, and not to hard. I've had one, before IBS, at a fancy, shmancy place in Palm Springs and after it was thru she said "well, how was it?". I told her if I had something to compare it to I would tell her!!! LOL

I DON'T have a problem with smells, but a friend of mine does, something terrible. When we are in Vegas together for a trade show I convinced her to try the O2 bars. The aromatherapy got to her............and gave her the worst headache. They DC'd the scents before her time was over, and gave her some peppermint oil to rub on her temples and back of the neck and wrists. By golly, it took the headache away. She's been using it ever since she got back home to MS. Ever heard of such a thing? I tried it with peppermint extract LOL (didn't have any essential oil) but I don't think it was quite the same so will have to get some oil and try it.

Kandee

--------------------

Peppermint Oil new
      #67954 - 05/05/04 04:04 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Yeah, peppermint oil is great for all kinds of headaches (probably all kinds of aches in general). It helps me with tension headaches and migraines. Doesn't get rid of the headache, but helps make it feel better.

--------------------
--Julie

Re: gigi new
      #67970 - 05/05/04 05:10 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I live in Brazoria County. I am about 45 minutes from the beach in Freeport. I love it here, West Tx is hot and dry, are you sure you want to live there? I love Austin and the Hill Country. Your daughter is in a beautiful place. Lucky girl.

I had no luck on my shopping trip, it seems that I am in between sizes, hard to fit anyway, I am in between a petite and misses. Dang. I got tired and came home.

Re: Peppermint Oil new
      #67994 - 05/05/04 06:19 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hmmmm, thanks Julie,
See, just another use for peppermint.......what would we do without it?
I'm going to have to get the OIL now and try it...now that I have tension headaches I've never had before in my life......sheesh.
Julie, do you have fibro TOO?????????
You know, this may be the longest list of responses to a post I've ever seen.............See what you started JenX????

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Peppermint Oil new
      #68012 - 05/05/04 07:53 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

No, I don't have fibro, I don't think! But it's so interesting learning about it. I figure, with headaches and IBS and this weird weight gain thing, I should at least know they symptoms of fibro, just in case! I think I'd be a whole lot more fatigued and ouchy. I do have that sensitivity to smell, but I associate that with migraines. My body just aches from sitting at the computer and being hunched over books all the time

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55601

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review