All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zelnorm
      #62824 - 04/20/04 12:51 AM
JenniferAnne

Reged: 04/20/04

Since I was ten I thought I was just weird.. Ive lived always afraid of my next stomach ache, missing out on things, afraid to go out so I wouldnt get stuck in a public bathroom somewhere for hours. I'm now 19, Ive tried fiber diets- they seem to work for a week or two then stop. Most doctors just told me to take medimucal, and eat more fiber, until I saw a commerical for zelnorm and learned about IBS. I saw my doctor and had a colonoscopy. They agreed I had IBS and put me on zelnorm. Its been 2 weeks and I am worse than I have ever been. I am having painfull stomach aches with diarhea at least twice a day. Is it suppose to get worse before it gets better? Or should I see my doctor right away? I am open to all comments.

Thanks,
JenniferAnne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm new
      #62825 - 04/20/04 03:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Aaargh! Doctors and fibre! Take it you've read Heather's notes on the difference between soluble and insoluble fibre? Taking a soluble fibre supplement is VERY helpful - so don't stop taking yours! Start on the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet. It'll help. And make sure you cut out the baddies - dairy, caffeine, coffee, HFCS, carbonated drinks, high fat foods.

I'd also go see your doctor! IBS is a very personal thing and finding the meds that work for you can take a while.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Welcome to IBS, JenniferAnne! new
      #62837 - 04/20/04 04:58 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I'm sorry you have IBS, but glad you figured it out. As always, we're glad to have more company, but sorry you're sick.

A few comments:
  • starting "fiber diets" and starting this diet (which emphasizes soluble fiber) are totally different things. Read up on the soluble fiber bit here. Heather explains the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber and the theory behind focusing on soluble fiber.
  • it is my understanding that Zelnorm is not to be used by patients who have diarrhea. it's only for those with constipation. did you start out with diarrhea, or is it a result of the Zelnorm?
  • however you answered the question above, you need to call your Doc. and tell him/her about the diarrhea!
  • when you say "stomachahe," do you mean pains in your stomach, or down lower like where menstrual cramps are? 'cause nausea and vomitting and the like aren't generally symptoms of IBS, but pain a little lower and gas and vomitting and diarrhea surely are! (just because the docs said you have IBS doesn't mean you shouldn't still be suspicious it could be something else... unfortunately. they're not infallible, these doctors.)

Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions.... that's why we're here- to help each other and to be helped!

Click here to read a post put together to help people who are new to the boards:
cool info to help Newbies.

--------------------

#62838 - 04/20/04 04:59 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

That's weird. My name is Jennifer Anne too. Anyway, the first two weeks on Zelnorm can cause a lot of cramping and diarrhea. My doctor told me you have to survive past that time and give it time to get into your system and then things will get better. So maybe give it another week or so. Good luck!

#62842 - 04/20/04 05:20 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

that's interesting, Jenny. did you just start it, or have you been on it for awhile? is it working, do ya think?

--------------------

#62871 - 04/20/04 07:05 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

It is not intended for people with D, so if you had D before you started Zelnorm, I would stop taking it. It you are normally a C person than the D should stop after a couple weeks. I am a C person and take Miralax, but I have been on Zelnorm and sometimes will take a couple if I'm having a bad attack.

Are you taking 1 or 2 a day? Maybe you could cut back your daosage if the D doesn't go away in another week or two. I would call your dr and let him know whats going on.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1093 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review