All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Hi Nugget..... new
      #58454 - 04/06/04 12:06 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

if you're as shy as you say, then you don't want to do that! certainly would get you a lot of attention!

my hair is virtually gone, it's so short! i just took my pictures to the store to be developed. they should be posted by the end of the weekend if they're any good (i took them of myself... i've got no idea how they'll look! see what boredom will do to a gal!?)

i'm still home. i think i'm going to stay home the rest of the week. but at least i got a little real sleep last night. that's a good sign. i'm in the process of switching docs so i can get this show on the road and get this CFS knocked out of commission!

how are YOU doing?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bev new
      #58455 - 04/06/04 12:08 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

the sleep got me going for a few hours. i'm ready to go back to sleep, now.

you're very brave to tell your stories, bev. admirable.

--------------------

My childhood new
      #58464 - 04/06/04 12:37 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

To many of you, I still am a child but I'll tell you about my early life anyways becouse there's a TON to say! Other people my age can't imagine having my life! First, I'm (almost) 16 and I'm the firstborn.
I was born in Georgia when my mom was 18 and had just graduated from high school. To this day I've still never met or seen my dad, and when I was two months old we moved to Tennessee so that she could go to college there. She had me towards the end of her first year of college (obviously, since my bday is on Saturday lol yay!!). When she graduated at 22 (almost 23), I was 5 and I was going to start school that summer. When I started kindergarten, I realized that I was really the only kid in the class without a dad, and everytime I came home and saw my mom I kind of wondered what it would be like to have a dad around.
The summer after kindergarten I moved back to Georgia, and I went to 1st and 2nd grade there. I started pretending like I had a dad just so I wouldn't have to feel left out. I loved Georgia, though! It's the best place I've ever lived! Continuous sunshine......100 degree weather.....LOVE IT!! lol
Then I moved to Indiana just before 3rd grade. I was made fun of at school for my accent (which I trained myself to get rid of, thank goodness!) and that's where my nickname Peaches came from! My mom got married the summer after 4th grade, which caused me to have to change schools AGAIN and from that I gained two stepbrothers and a half-sister, Bailey.
My mom divorced him after 2 and a half years, but Bailey still lives with us. So now I'm in high school and I'm a struggling musician (LOL I've always wanted to say that!). I work in a bookstore right now since my mom has kind of a hard time trying to pay for everything and raise me and my sister, so I have to pay for a lot of things myself.

I'm very close with my grandparents. They've always taken me on vacations and bought me things that I need (they're rich even though they won't admit it!). I think that sometimes I've spent TOO much time wiht them! lol
My mom and I are pretty close, but I'm a very private person so I don't tell people much about what's going on in my life. My sister and I are pretty much required to be close since I have to spend every second with her! lol

All in all, after going to 5 different schools and moving so much, I think I've become pretty independent and everything and I've been very happy! I'm working on a demo album to send out, with help from my mom's boyfriend who runs the recording system at my church. So I'm hoping that works out with that!

Ok I know this was long, but I've never told anyone my whole story before, so I figured this was as good of a time as any!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: Hi Nugget..... new
      #58469 - 04/06/04 12:45 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I'm doing pretty good. Sorry to hear you are still having troubles. I've missed so many posts lately. What is CFS? Can't wait to see your new picture. I'm not yet ready...still need to grow hair longer. Not real sure if I'm keeping it this way or not. Haven't had the nice comments that I got when my hair was short-short.

Re: I'm curious about everybody's childhood! new
      #58477 - 04/06/04 01:08 PM
PumpkinPoo

Reged: 04/03/04
Loc: Texas

My family was wonderful through my childhood, although I was not always handed the best circumstances. The past is the past though and I have learned and grown from all that life has given me. My parents have been married for nearly 40 years. I am the youngest of 3 and was spoiled rotten by my daddy. They still live in the same house that I grew up in...the only house that I have ever lived in besides my own! We live 5 miles from them. I was very close to both sets of grandparents. We visited with them often and talked on the phone all of the time. My children were/are close to them too. One of my Grandmothers just passed away in December. I only have one left now and treasure every moment with her.

#58492 - 04/06/04 01:43 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Quote:

My parents have been married for nearly 40 years.

I hope that happens to me!!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#58508 - 04/06/04 02:37 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm 21, and I'm the oldest and the only girl in my family. I have two younger brothers, who are 14 and 15. When I was born, my mom was only 19, and my parents weren't married (in fact, my dad was still married to his first wife), so they put me up for adoption. My grandparents found out about me, and helped my parents get me back when I was 6 months old. My parents were finally married when I was two.

My childhood wasn't really that happy. My mother was emotionally and physically abusive, and my father denies anything ever happened. My mother was also rather ill when I was younger, so I essentially raised my brothers, and didn't have much of a childhood. I'm very close to my brothers, and sometimes wish I wasn't so far from them (they live in Richmond, VA with my parents). I forgave my parents a long time ago for everything, because there was no point not to, and I talk to them every week or so, I just don't go home very often. I officially moved out of their house last June, and I consider my apartment here in Philly home. I'm completely independent of my parents, except I'm on my father's health insurance, and my father is cosigned on my student loans. All of my grandparents are living, and I'm close to them, though not as close as I was when I lived in VA.

*hugs* to everyone!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#58615 - 04/06/04 07:27 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

What an awesome post. good thinking TeeCee.

Some of you folks have some pretty incredible stories and it just increases my respect and admiration for all of you.

Sorry I haven't been posting much recently, I've been quite busy with work (it's like I have a 'real' job or something) although I do try and read the forums when I have time, unfortunately I don't have access to a computer at work. It's still really great to 'hear' from you guys.

I'll add my story here though. Nothing too exciting. Oldest of two, my brother is 3 years younger than me and is now just finishing up University. My parent's got divorced when I was 7 and I lived with my Mum but saw my Dad quite often. He got remarried when I was in grade 9 and my step mom is awesome. My parent's are all very cool people, I'm not super close with them, but there aren't any huge issues with them. I've been blessed with having a very large extended family so I've got tonnes of relatives. All 4 grandparents of mine are still alive ( and my Oma- step grandmother) which I'm very thankful for, unfortunately I now live in a different province and don't get to see them much.

I guess my childhood was ok. Looking back I really didn't like elementary school. I went to the same one the entire time. I went to a different highschool than most of the people at my elementary school and enjoyed it much more. I became a lot more comfortable with myself there.

I guess like everyone here there are things that I appreciate, and there are things that I hope to do better when I eventually have kids.

Jamie

My ill spent youth. :) new
      #58617 - 04/06/04 07:45 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Wow! It was amazing to hear everyone's stories. Thank you all so much for sharing them. I'm really honored to be a part of such a giving community.

As for me, I'm 25 and the oldest. My two little sisters are 22 (Laurie, who's a bioengineer at University of Pittsburgh) and 19 (Lindsay who's a freshman at Ohio University). My parents are still together. I also have two little brothers, more or less, as I've been with my husband since I was 19, so his two little brothers (Conner, 22 and Ryan, 19) are like my little brothers too.

And yes, they did work out perfectly as our wedding party.

My childhood was happy, my poor sisters had to deal with my mom becoming severely depressed though. So I spent a lot of my college playing Mom.

Well, guess I'll tell some of my story. new
      #58631 - 04/06/04 08:42 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I come from a family of 4 kids, my brother was the oldest and then I'm in the middle of 2 sisters. I had a very hard, disturbing, tortuous childhood. My father was a very mean guy, and acted like he hated us. We had plenty of beatings with a belt and we had to strip naked for them. (Oh, that was so awful, I was so modest!) He'd tell us that if we cried, he'd beat us for crying, and he mean't it. We tried to learn to not show emotions.

My father worked 3rd shift and sometimes he'd come home and wake us all up and line us up like we were in the army. We stood at attention. I was about 6 when this started. He'd start with my brother and say that if someone didn't confess to whatever it was (he'd make stuff up), then he was going to start with the youngest and beat them until he'd gotten to all of us. Our little sister is mentally slow and my brother couldn't bear the thought of her being beat, so he'd step forward and take the blame for the imaginary crime and get beat for it.

My parents expected us to be perfect and it took me a long time, after I'd moved out, to finally find out who I really was.

My grandparents lived in Colorado and they had us spend every summer with them. You can imagine how we looked forward to it; just to get away from the hell at home.
Needless to say, I was very close to my wonderful grandma and grandpa. Sometimes, they would have all 17 of their grandkids living with them at the same time. But, they were true jewels and I have tried to emulate them in my own life.

I was also my father's favorite when it came to being his waitress and what not. I'd have to wait on him hand and foot and rub his feet, his back, lace his boots for him, and fetch whatever he wanted. It was very weird!

My mom was a scaredy cat and just put up with all of it, without saying a word. When I grew up, I resented her for not saving us. I still don't understand how a Mom can stand by and let her children be mistreated; but I've learned to forget about trying to understand it because I don't need to; I'm not the one who did it! I just have to be accountable for my life!

When my dad was at work, I did enjoy myself at home. My mom was the type who let us do whatever we wanted and she didn't pay any attention to us. As long as we left her alone, we could do whatever! I was a good kid though, and stayed out of trouble!

I also was responsible for my little sister. I was the one who had to tutor her. She was in regular classes as they didn't have special ed classes back then. It was a tremendous struggle for her. My Mom put the job of getting her through school on my shoulders, but I never resented that for a minute. I knew I was up to the job. I remember being 8 years old and going to see her 2nd grade teacher after school. I'd ask for work to take home for my sister so I could help her. I thought I was a big shot. I totally mothered her and I still do today. She calls me mom, even though we're only a year apart in age.
By the way, she graduated High School and she is married and has held a full time job for about 25 years now. She can read, write, pay bills, balance a checkbook, and run her own home. She's also computer literate! She's amazing, especially considering that she's mentally handicapped. (She reminds me of the movie "The Other Sister"--I think that's what it's called). My sister is a lot like that girl! I love her to pieces!

My husband is the only person I've shared any of this information with, but I figured why not share with you guys? Maybe it will help someone.

Well, my brother lives one block from me and my little sis lives about 6 blocks away. We three are very close.
Our parents live several blocks away. I forgave them a long time ago, and when I did, I freed myself from their hold on me. My dad is still a brutish man. He still doesn't like us and we don't like him. Our mom is still with him, even though we tried to get her to leave him. I see my mom once a week. We go to church and have lunch together. I still don't understand her, and she doesn't understand me, but we have a good adult relationship!
I started the process of forgiving my parents when I was in my early 20's. I had therapeutic counseling 3 different times to get help and it was a great thing to do! Ultimately, I had to put it all in perspective and it just took some time.

I used to worry that people would hate me if they knew how I was raised; because I thought they'd think I was a weirdo because of it. I was afraid that they'd think I wasn't good enough to be around. I'm glad those days are over! By the way, everyone who was raised like that doesn't grow up and treat their own children the same way.

Well, this is some of my story. There's lots more, but that's enough for now!

Today, I'm happy! It took awhile, but I got there. I love my husband, children and grandchildren and they love me! Life is good!
Terri

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review