All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Just curious..... new
      #54318 - 03/25/04 03:50 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

I was raised Roman Catholic and don't believe in The Church. That doesn't mean I don't believe in some of it's teachings, though.

I would have to agree with Jen. I was baptized and confirmed at Roman Catholic, spent childhood attending church classes and helping my mom teach her classes, as well as assisting with the Christmas play.

However, I despised having to go to church. It isn't that I don't believe in God - I just don't believe you have to sit for an hour in order to 'worship'. This is, though, a personal opinion and is not ment to offend anyone in any way.

I still go to church, but only 4 times a year: Easter, Christmas, my mom's birthday, and Mother's Day (my mom is still a strict Catholic and reminds me every chance she gets that I'm going to hell ).

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#54334 - 03/25/04 04:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Man, Steph, what HAVE you started! This thread goes on forEVER! I'm CoE (Church of England) btw - non-practising. Simon is resolutely nothing. Getting him to agree to get married in church was a problem!

Wow, Mormons! Soz, that sounds really bad doesn't it? But you guys have really different laws and stuff don't you (understatement I guess)!

I'm gonna read DaVinci Code now - been thinking bout it for a while, but I've been trying to cut down on buying books. Guys, come over here and we'll meet in Paris! That city is so cool.

Linz! new
      #54363 - 03/25/04 06:30 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Quote:

Wow, Mormons! Soz, that sounds really bad doesn't it? But you guys have really different laws and stuff don't you (understatement I guess)!

LOL Linz!! What do ya mean? I'm not sure what ya mean about our own laws!!!

Yea this thread has gotten pretty long!! Funny! Sparked some intrest in everyone!

--------------------

Re: Linz! new
      #54368 - 03/25/04 06:58 PM
Linz

Aren't some Mormons into bigamy, etc? And no blood transfusions or something (like our Jehovah's Witnesses). My knowledge of your religion is WAY outta date tho! I once read a really weird Sherlock Holmes story that was about Mormons and that coloured my opinion.

Re: Linz! new
      #54371 - 03/25/04 07:01 PM
StephS

Oh my goodness dear....your WAY,Way,Way off!!! No we aren't any of those things!!!! I've heard of the blood thing but that's not MORMONS...that's some other religion.

NO were just normal people not some weird cult!!!

LOL you really made me laugh!!! HEEE HEE!!! If you have any other ??? ask me!!! That's just to funny!!!!

--------------------

#54373 - 03/25/04 07:05 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm sorry some of you have had bad experiences with church.

I grew up in a Legalistic Baptist home and I couldn't wait to leave my church and find another one without so many rules.

I strayed from church around 18 - mostly due to my parents. They came across as the perfect Christians, but behind close doors they were different people. They are not nice and were very mean to me. I didn't want to be part of their religion.

Now I attend a Missionary Alliance Church and love it. My kids look forward to going to Sunday School and get upset when we miss church. Admist my bad upbringing I don't believe I would have survived my childhood without trusting God and the power of prayer.

Ooops! Sorry! V.embarrassed now - nt new
      #54379 - 03/25/04 07:12 PM
Linz

Re: Ooops! Sorry! V.embarrassed now - nt new
      #54391 - 03/25/04 07:41 PM
StephS

That's ok Linz...don't be embarrassed! Many people have misconsceptions of the mormon church!! You should here some of them! ITs funny, really! So don't worry!!!

--------------------

Barb.... new
      #54392 - 03/25/04 07:43 PM
StephS

that's to bad about your parents! I think its really great your boys love going to church! I think its improtant for little ones to go and learn...and have something to believe in!

--------------------

#54412 - 03/25/04 09:14 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Well, I'm a Christian and I attend a Baptist church. I'm not a member, but I've been going there for a long time now. I wasn't raised in any religion at all. I started reading the Bible and going to church when I was about 6 years old. I'd go with a school friend and her family. I relied on God throughout my whole childhood to get me through that scary, hard mess. In my twenties I studied all religions, but Christianity made the most sense to me. I never discuss religion or politics, and I hesitated to post a reply here. However, I believe that we should accept each other as we are, including our religious beliefs or lack thereof. I haven't read the DaVinci Codes and I don't want to. Right now, I'm reading "The Purpose Driven Life". Anyone else read it? I'm also studying the book of Isaiah with J. Vernon McGee on ttb.org. He's a very good teacher, btw!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1855 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review