All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I've got a question for the ladies out there...hope it's ok
      #52058 - 03/18/04 08:04 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I've got a question for all the females on this board...I hope it's ok because it is off-topic of the whole IBS thing.
My question is, I've finally managed to get an appointment to see an ob-gyn for my regular check-up and also because my endometriosis has been getting worse. However, I've been bad and haven't been in three years because of some personal issues I had and some major fear surrounding going for regular exams. So, just looking for any tips on what I can do to make it a little easier on myself (I literally freak out!) and also, is there anything that's good to discuss with a ob-gyn in relation to IBS? Becuase I would assume that some IBS and gynecological problems could intersect...but I don't know. I just want to make the most out of the appointment because it's hard to get in to see these guys!
Anyways, sorry if this is too gross, my mom passed away not long ago and I never feel comfortable talking about it with anyone, and everyone here seems so supportive.
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I've got a question for the ladies out there...hope it's ok new
      #52080 - 03/19/04 03:54 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

We talk about BM's - I think this is nothing compared to that! Don't even think twice about asking any kind of questions!

One thing I like to do is write a list of all my questions and take it with me, because I get so flustered once I'm there, I usually end up forgetting something if I don't. I told my dr. about my IBS, just so he knew. Plus, in case he wanted to check me for anything IBS could mimic.

I try to stay relaxed when I go, but I do get a little nervous. I always do the countdown though. Once I get there, I tell me self in less than an hour it will be over, etc. I just keep counting down. For some reason it makes me feel better. Plus, I don't know if you've done the hypno, but I did the breathing part from it when I was on the table last time I went, and it wasn't as uncomfortable. I think it just helped me relax, and the more relaxed you are, the less uncomfortable it is?

PS - I skipped a few years once when I was younger, so you're not alone in skipping out. I'm sure you'll do fine though. Try not to worry about it. Let us know how you make out.

#52102 - 03/19/04 05:15 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I don't know, Kelly, I always consider getting drunk before going.

Mags has good advice: the breathing and the countdown. There's nothing you can't survive for an hour or so. Right?

I had severe D the last 2 years, so I got to skip the rectal part (my least favorite part of all). Told the doc both times: you can do it if you want, but I can't take responsibility for the consequences! Both times, she opted out!

--------------------

#52161 - 03/19/04 07:17 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

Kelly,
I suffered with endometrosis for years so I know exactly how you feel. I did not have IBS then but I do know the pain of endometrosis. When u go to the doc make a list of things that concern you that helps to be thorough. Because of my illness I had to have a complete hysterectomy at age 28 but I had no choice. My prayers are with you.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

#52189 - 03/19/04 08:06 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

You should tell your doctor about your stomach problems. For one thing, my IBS comes complete with "Wandering abdominal pains" that could wander to places that would mimic serious gyno issues. Also because meds can interact, and I for one wouldn't want my birth control rendered ineffective!!

Also, Jen, you skip the RECTAL part of the exam??? No gyno I've EVER gone to has gone anywhere near that!!!

#52269 - 03/19/04 09:48 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Also, Jen, you skip the RECTAL part of the exam??? No gyno I've EVER gone to has gone anywhere near that!!!

I was thinking the same thing, but I thought maybe I wasn't getting a thorough enough exam?

#52275 - 03/19/04 10:01 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

oh yeah, That's standard part of the test! At least they've been doing that for a while. I hate that part!

--------------------

#52289 - 03/19/04 10:16 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

It's my understanding that they are supposed to do it after you hit age 50, as you are more likely to develop colon cancer then.

Thanks everyone! I survived! new
      #52446 - 03/19/04 03:44 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks everyone for your advice. I survived the apointment, althought unfortunately didn't get much out of it. Turns out, this woman's clinic is staffed only by family practionners who just do the regular exams, they aren't gynocologists (I didn't know that). So while I got the regular exam done, she was no help at all when it came to my endometriosis. She reminded me all those doctors who just shrugged off the IBS, I told her I was in so much pain sometimes I can't get out of bed, and she actually told me that wasn't possible because while I'm on birth control the endo can't get worse! First of all, that's totally wrong, second, don't tell me it's not possible I'm in pain! I was so frustrated. So, at least I go the routine exam out of the way, but now I still have to get an appointment to see an actual gynocologist to talk about surgical options and other things. So thanks everyone for all your help and support, I was at least less nervous thanks to all your suggestions!
Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 608 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1402

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review