All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to the message board
      #49796 - 03/11/04 04:32 PM
Stacy132

Reged: 03/11/04

Hi! I am new to the message board and I am not quite sure if I am in the correct room for my post. If not, please direct me to the correct room. I am 33 years old and I have suffered from IBS since I was 18 years old. I have tried acupressure and chinese herbs, I have tried the no refined sugar, no meat, no white rice or flour diet along with herbs with enzymes to aid digestion, acidophyllis, flax seed oil, caclcium magnesium, and a natural colon cleanser. So far I have been unsuccessful at controlling my IBS. Furthermore, I was recently diagnosed with PMDD-premenstrual dysforic dysfunction and I am being treated with seafem(low dose of prozac). I also just started a trial pack of Zelnorn for IBS with constipation. In December I had a laporoscapy to determine if I had endometriosis and the results were very little amounts of endometrium found. The laporoscapy was performed based on my complaints of excruciating menstrual cramps that could not be minimized with contraceptives nor the use of anti-inflammatory drugs. Even after the laporoscopy I am still having bad menstruel cramps with diarrehea. I also beleive that the Zelnorm is inducing diarrhea since within and hour of taking a pill I have very bad abdominal cramps followed by diarrhea. Now that you have hear my background here are my questions:(by the way, I just received my "Big Kahuna" order and I am anxious to start "eating for IBS) 1. I am hesitant to indulge in the refined sugars and white flour products based on my past instruction from the herbalist. I have always been told that white bread was the enemy to the digestive track. Any comments on this?
2. I feel that the Zelnorm, the anti-inflammatry pills and possibly the serafem are contributing to my IBS issues. Sometimes I feel as if my symptoms vasilate between cramps with constipation and cramps with diarrhea. As of late, most of the cramps are followed by diarrhea. I do not want to stop taking the serafem because mentally I have been feeling much better. Should I discontinue the Zelnorm? and
3. I have also developed GERD I should be taking prevacid but I have not been consistent. I am hesitant to start drinking the peppermint tea and taking the peppermint pills. When should I begin taking these two items? Any advice you can offer would be helpful. When I have my bad bouts I take bentyl along with a muscle relaxer like soma or a pain releive like vicodine. Outdise of this, the only thing that releives my bouts is the GI cocktail given to me in the emergency room. They should market this concoction! Anyway, I am on my way to starting the new diet and I am hoping for relief. Thank you, Stacy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to the message board new
      #49875 - 03/12/04 03:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Aaah! If you have GERDS do NOT (under any circumstance) drink peppermint tea! You'd be burping acid for days!!! Ginger can also be bad.

The enteric peppermint capsules are supposed to be okay, but be careful - I was fine for a while and then, wham, I had lovely acidic peppermint burps and heartburn!

Btw, this should probably be in the Eating For IBS board, but hey!

I'm assuming you were properly diagnosed in the first place. For that you NEED to have blood work and a colonoscopy, etc. Also, if your symptoms change in a major way, you should have another colonsocopy! What fun, eh?

I've never had Zelnorm, but that doesn't sound good. I'd stpp taking it and go back to the doctors.

Re. anti-inflammatories, NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories, eg. Ibuprofen) are bad for your tummy. I think me using them so much growing up (long story) probably contributed to me getting IBS.

This diet should help you. The only people it doesn't seem work on properly are those with sensitivities/allergies to wheat. I've heard the white-bread-bad argument so many times, but it just doesn't apply to my IBS. Before I discovered Heather I spent a w/e at my parents eating lots of nutty brown bread and then wondered why I was so ill on the Monday! Doh!

The GI cocktail (love that expression - just imagine us sitting in A&E drinking something wild out of a cocktail glass, with obligatory paper umbrella! ) almost certainly contains a strong smooth-muscle relaxant. You can get milder ones to take regularly - I'm on Spasmonal Forte (ALverine Cotrate).

Good luck! Soz this is an essay.

Linz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review