All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Anyone been through postpartum depression?
      #45138 - 02/15/04 06:28 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Could use some advice here. I'm going through it the 2nd time and I feel just awful. It's been six months and I just don't feel better. They've changed my meds and increased them like 4 times and I still feel horrible. The worst is dragging through all this and not knowing when I'll feel any better - it's just gruelling. Sorry for the grumpy post. I just want to feel better!!@@#$%$%^^&

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone been through postpartum depression? new
      #45150 - 02/15/04 10:20 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Han,

I'm so sorry for you. I didn't suffer it myself but one of my very best friends had a horrible time with it. In fact, she was hospitalised. The good news is that she is fantastically well now and it does pass.

What does your Dr say? If the increased meds aren't working is it worth changing to another?

Do you have help from your family? I know one of the things that was suggested to my friend was that she put the kids into care one day a week and have that day all to herself. She felt guilty in the beginning but giving herself that time allowed her to recover so much quicker so it really was in the best interests of the children as well as her.

Even with one child I get to the point where I need "me" time.

I will be thinking of you - do let us know how you are getting on.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#45165 - 02/16/04 06:47 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Han I don't have any advice for you, but I hope you feel better soon. What does your doctor say about it? Have you had any other blood work done besides checking your thyroid?

I agree with Kerrie - you need time just for you. My kids are all in school all day and I still need time just for me.

After my third child was born I got involved with a group of moms and we took turns every week hosting a play group. Our kids got to play while we talked. It was great knowing we would get conservation with other moms once a week and the kids played well with each other. Besides every child likes to play with new toys.

This may be an option for you and your friends.

Hope this helps and again hope you feel better soon.

Re: thanks you two ... new
      #45256 - 02/16/04 06:07 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

for the suggestions. I know I need me time but it's just so hard. My mothers (my own and hubby's) are incredibly supportive and will babysit anytime I ask but the truth is I just don't feel like going anywhere or doing anything.
I've been almost hospitalized at least 5 times - you know where the Dr is sitting there waiting for you to say OK because they can't hospitalize you without your consent ....
The day care idea is a good thing - I'm starting to think about it more seriously. In the meantime, my wonder moms have both volunteered to take my 2 year old for a morning a week. That may help a bit, too.

Kerrie - how's Brad? I've been thinking about you and your family. How's your little man? Where are you in the IVF process?

--------------------

#45291 - 02/17/04 05:07 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I did..and it was horrible. I wish I knew then what I know now about taking some natural supplements to help balance out my hormones which were severely out of whack. I finally got over it, but not after some battles with my mom, mother in law and myself. I will definitely know for next time to balance myself out. I know that this wasn't much advice for you, but you might try some Chaste Berry, Evening Primrose Oil and/or Dong Quai if you need to. Just check the precautions if you are nursing. Hope all is well soon.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#45437 - 02/17/04 05:29 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

You had PPD after your son, too? You poor thing. I thought medication would help. Are they maybe giving you too much medication? I think admitting you are having trouble and taking it one day at a time is sometimes all you can do. I think it is great that your moms are willing to help. Just know it won't last forever.

I had it until Meike was almost a year old. My started from a variety of factors. I had a difficult delivery, my IBS started within a week after she was born, she didn't sleep for 6 weeks, I had mastitis (breast infection) twice, she cried all the time because she wasn't getting enough to eat. Things did get better once I started bottle feeding. She gained 7 pounds in a month. The poor thing.

I have to tell you that it got worse when I started taking the pill. My doctors insited it's suppose to regulate your hormones but I think, with the drastic change, it made things worse. I couldn't control my emotions. It stopped when I went off the pill, believe it or not.

Does any of this apply to your situation? I know how difficult it is just to get through the day to day. It is hard when your toddler decides you are not doing what he wants. It is hard listening to the baby cry. I would get to the point where I would put them in their rooms or lock myself in my bedroom to get away. It really is a short season in the scheme of things. I pray you begin to come out of the cloud you are under.

I just read your other post new
      #45446 - 02/17/04 05:51 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

in IBS diet board. You know what is funny? You asked me about going from one to two when you were pregnant. I was so cautious not to let on how hard it was for me. I thought maybe I was the exception and I had the PPD with her. Now you are trying to be careful and trying to be positive for me. I really appreciate that about you.

You know what is great for tantrums? I would put Meike in her crib until she stopped crying. Each time she was spend less and less time. That girl is strong willed. Sometimes it is easier to give in, just to stop the crying and the noise. It usually makes it worse later on. I am finding that out now.

So you really think this one is a boy? I guess we will have to wait to find out. We have no feeling one way or another this time.

Re: I just read your other post new
      #45456 - 02/17/04 06:48 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Thank you so much for your support. It's so nice that we have people here we can lean on for a few words of encouragement. It all balances out in the end, doesn't it?
Anyway, yes, I had PPD with Liam. You might be right about the pill thing ... I'll ask my Doc about that one.
The tantrum thing can sometimes take all our energy - but we refuse to give in. We keep thinking that by not letting him get his way that they'll stop. We usually either ignore him or tell him that it will not help him get his way. Unfortunately, he has a bed now and not a crib. He'd just climb out of it.
On the flip side, I really think I'm through the worst of it. I don't feel completely h orrible like I did at Christmastime. The meds take a LONG time to really work well. My children are my joy and will ultimately get me through it. Quinlan is so adorable now - she's giggling and really gets into her toys now. Liam bless his heart, is a super kid when he's not throwing tantrums. He's really good 90% of the time. IT's just that the 10% is pretty nasty.

As for you going to 3, I have no doubt in my mind that it's a lot easier than going from 1 to 2. Furthermore, your girls are great and will be a tremendous support for you. Plus, you've been through it twice, and you will not have another wee one to reckon with (which we did the second time).
And yes, I really think it's a boy. Don't ask me how - it's just a gut feeling. Wait till you're a bit further along - I started to tell between 8 and 13 weeks - and I was right both times!

--------------------

#45487 - 02/18/04 03:56 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Han,

Brad is great now. Once he started getting better it really happened quickly. He was on his medication for a pretty long time before it started to help but once it did it was good. Hopefully yours will start to help soon too.

The IVF process is heart breaking and becoming very difficult. I'm still hopeful but am just trying to get through one day at a time at the moment. I have been diagnosed with depression but am trying to handle it without drugs at the moment and I think I'm doing OK. I have good days and bad I guess. I'm very thankful for the fact that I have a lot of support from family and friends and the people here.

Do think about the day care. Harrison has always been in care two days a week while I work since he was 14 months but recently I have put him in for a third day at the suggestion of my psychologist who says I need a day for me. The first time I did it I felt so guilty and I cried nearly all day. But as time has gone on I have realised that if I have that day just for me it makes me so much calmer, so much more relaxed and gives me patience and time for Harrison on the days I have with him. I think that is better for him than seeing me depressed and crying all the time. Also, he is doing so well at Kindy and I think his time there has really advantaged him socially and academically. He loves it and I get time to myself so after getting over the intial guilt and separation I really believe it is the best thing for both of us.

Keep in touch,

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#45797 - 02/19/04 06:11 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

You are a really amazing person, Kerrie, to go through what you have these last few months and still see the sunshine. I can only imagine how hard it is for you right now with the IVF AND depression. Wow. You must be very strong willed to manage it without meds. I would fall to pieces I think.
I'll take your advice and think about the daycare some more. I know that ultimately, you are so right. I just have to be able to process it all. Part of the problem is my OCD coming in saying NO! Don't send him to daycare or he'll get sick from all the germs and viruses. It's not just the depression, it's the terror I deal with in trying to face a non-sterile world. Germs and viruses terrify me to the point where I can hardly leave the house.
I hope that if I give it time to absorb, I'll be able to work it into my head, and into my life.
Hugs to you.
Love Han.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 909 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review