All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Article about GERD's new
      #40255 - 01/23/04 07:36 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Thanks! I did some reading on the surgery, and apparently the side effects can be really really bad. One of them is that you can just never throw up ever again, and I can't guarentee with my IBS that I won't need to!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 24 Hr. PH Test new
      #40257 - 01/23/04 07:38 PM
chinagrl

No, after the past couple of weeks I don't think a doctor will listen. In fact I was having a complaining session with my nurses today about how rude and mean the doctors are.

On the other hand, I've loved all of the nurses I've had lately. They have all been so caring and so helpful and patient with me. My nurse who does the Ph tests is coming in specially tomorrow to take my probe out because my doctor messed up the original date of my test. I think nurses are really really wonderful people and they deserve all of the money they get.

I'm sorry if your patients don't properly appreciate you!

#40258 - 01/23/04 07:39 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Chinagrl how awful to have to deal with GERD at such a young age. I bet you were the only person in your school who had a scope put down your throat.
I give you alot of credit to beable to teach and work on your PHD.

#40260 - 01/23/04 07:41 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

I had lots of trouble with constipation as a kid too. I remember my mom giving my laxatives and prunes a lot. The IBS started when I was 19, and it comes and goes. I'm still waiting for the recent bout to go! I take an antidepressant for the IBS too and prilosec for the reflux due to a hiatal hernia. My kids are entertained with friends this evening so I am having fun on the boards.

#40261 - 01/23/04 07:43 PM
joanmarie

It sure is worth the effort. Clinic of some sort would sound best to me so you could have daytime hours. I work with geriatric patients too, so I know what you mean!

#40262 - 01/23/04 07:43 PM
chinagrl

Thanks. Yeah, I thought it was SO COOL to have pictures of the inside of my stomach, but my Mom threw them out before I regained my memory after the exam. I was so, so bummed.

With school, it helps that I love what I do, and I'm really committed to it. It also helps that in grad school we only take 9 hours of classes a semester... so I have more free time than if I had a "regular" job, plus breaks off. Which are all good things for my stomach.

See what I'm impressed with is everyone on this board who has kids... sometimes I feel like my stomach problems make me really selfish, and my husband has to take care of me. I worry that my kids would get the shaft.

#40263 - 01/23/04 07:44 PM
joanmarie

What are you supposed to do if you have the stomach flu?!

#40265 - 01/23/04 07:45 PM
chinagrl

Mine has come and gone in the past too... I was pretty happy and free for about three or four years... then it started up again my first year of grad school. Now I'm three years into it. I'm hoping it's on a three year cycle and I'm done for awhile soon.

How old are your kids? Boys or girls or boths?

#40266 - 01/23/04 07:45 PM
chinagrl

See, that's what scared me!

#40267 - 01/23/04 07:46 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

My patients are in their 70's to 90's. Some of them can still hear what is going on around them, but are not able to talk or move. It has to harder for the patient to live that way than for me to take alittle abuse.

I'm so happy to know your nurses are great and sorry you have to put up with rude doctors. I'm sure nurses try to make up for lack of respect from some doctors.

However, my GI was great and very caring, but not knowlegable on diet. My current GP is also a good doctor. There are good doctors out there, but hard to find.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 417 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review