All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: 24 Hr. PH Test new
      #40235 - 01/23/04 07:16 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

I would be very interested in seeing that article. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#40239 - 01/23/04 07:20 PM
joanmarie

Bloating in front of a bunch of people is bad, but I hate the gas attacks even more. I don't know what I would do without a private office; probably explode! My best friend at work has gas problems too, so we at least are able to laugh about it. She keeps a can of air freshener in her office! What are your trigger foods?

#40240 - 01/23/04 07:20 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Oh it is much better than a tube and a sore throat.!!!

My stomach has been fine so far. I started my new job on Monday and I think all the patients who don't cover their mouths made me sick.

#40243 - 01/23/04 07:27 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

tomatos, diet coke, cheese, wheat bread, iceburg lettuce...

there are a lot of foods that I've just hated ever since I was a kid, I think because they make me sick, like eggs, mayonnaise, cottage cheese, olives.

Oh, and the absolute worst is alcohol.

it's funny, now that you ask I can't remember them all!

#40244 - 01/23/04 07:28 PM
joanmarie

How long have you had your IBS and GERD?

#40245 - 01/23/04 07:28 PM
joanmarie

How's the job going?

Article about GERD's new
      #40247 - 01/23/04 07:29 PM
BarbaraS

I did read another article, but will look for it when I'm feeling better.

Surgical and other procedures
Both surgical and nonsurgical procedures are available to treat problems related to heartburn. Endoscopic procedures, which are nonsurgical, are less invasive than surgery. Doctors usually will consider less invasive measures first.

Nonsurgical procedures include:

Endoscopic dilation. This procedure permits a doctor to widen (dilate) a narrowed esophagus (esophageal stricture). During the procedure, your doctor passes a dilator such as a balloon down into your esophagus and inflates it. Endoscopic dilation has a high rate of success. However, a small risk of perforating the esophagus exists, and the stricture usually recurs if you don't control the condition causing heartburn.
Endoscopic suturing system. Picture a miniature sewing machine attached to an endoscope. This new suturing system places stitches in two different locations near a weakened lower esophageal sphincter. Your doctor uses the device to tie the suturing material together, creating barriers to prevent stomach acid from refluxing into the esophagus. The procedure takes an hour or less to perform, doesn't require incisions and can be done as an outpatient procedure. Side effects may include a sore throat or mild chest pain for a day after surgery.
Stretta system. Another new procedure uses controlled radiofrequency energy to heat and melt (coagulate) tissues within the portion of the esophagus that contains a malfunctioning valve and at the junction of the esophagus and upper stomach. It appears to work by creating scar tissue that helps tighten the valve that keeps stomach acids where they belong. This is not the same type of scarring that requires dilation. As with the endoscopic suturing system, this procedure takes an hour or less to perform, doesn't require incisions and can be done as an outpatient procedure. Again, side effects may include a sore throat or mild chest pain.
The Food and Drug Administration approved the endoscopic suturing system and Stretta system in April 2000. Both procedures are less invasive and are intended for people with uncomplicated GERD who prefer minimally invasive procedures to medications. Neither procedure is recommended if you have a hiatal hernia or Barrett's esophagus. The long-term effects of each treatment are unknown.

People who experience severe heartburn or for whom medications don't provide relief may need to consider surgery. In surgery known as fundoplication, surgeons wrap the upper part of your stomach around the lower esophagus. This places more pressure on the sphincter to help keep it closed. Traditional fundoplication is major surgery, requiring an abdominal incision and a long hospital stay and recovery period.

Doctors can perform this same operation using laparoscopic surgery. In laparoscopic fundoplication, your doctor cuts small holes in your abdomen and inserts miniature surgical instruments and a tiny video camera. This allows your doctor to wrap the upper part of your stomach around the lower esophagus without a major incision. Recovery is rapid. You can resume all activities after just one week, instead of the four to six weeks with traditional surgery. Although laparoscopic surgery appears to work well, it's still relatively new, and the long-term effects aren't completely known.

Re: Article about GERD's new
      #40251 - 01/23/04 07:34 PM
joanmarie

Thanks for the info!

#40252 - 01/23/04 07:34 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

You are being an absolute sweetheart to keep entertaining me. Thank you, it means a lot.

I'm pretty sure I've had it all of my life. I had to go to the doctors for constipation when I was really little (he prescribed mineral oil, very gross). When I was 13 I started feeling sick to my stomach all of the time, so that's when I started with the Pepcid. It was prescription back then. That didn't work, so I had my first endoscopy and gastric emptying test, and then it was onto the Prilosec and some anti-spasmodics. That didn't work so then I took 2 prilosec. That didn't work so they put me on a low dose of an anti-depressant that was supposed to calm my stomach down. Then they came out with Nexium which spared me taking two pills a day. The nexium and the amitryptilene worked ok, but not great, which is why I'm doing this new round of tests. So I've had my diagnosis of GERD for 12 years, even though they're still not sure I really have it, and the IBS for 8 or so.

How long have you been dealing with this?

#40254 - 01/23/04 07:35 PM
BarbaraS

Thanks for asking. CNA is hard work and I'm working in the unit where patients require total care. Last night I got hit and pinced in the arm. Another man was trying to kiss me. Most of the patients apperciate us, but there are the few who are crabby!!

I rather know if Nursing is for me before I invest two years full time in a Nursing program. I'm thinking the best doctor's to work for should be GI's. Maybe I can educate them about Nurtition and IBS. Think a doctor may listen?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review