All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: 24 Hr. PH Test new
      #40210 - 01/23/04 06:41 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yep, my throat is very sore. Yeah, the very nice nurse numbed it, which was weird in and of itself... she put a cotton swab so far in my nose it touched the back of my throat. Gross huh? I hope the ice cream helps too...

Between the IBS and the GERD I have trouble eating everything!!! I'm usually ok for a few hours in the middle of the day to eat most anything I want... so I take advantage of that time.

Also, while we were out the people stared at me!!! It was horrible. A little glimpse into what people who live with disabilities must feel like everyday I guess. Eric, my husband, said that he was going to have to yell at one woman if she didn't quit staring. I felt like an animal in a zoo!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#40212 - 01/23/04 06:42 PM
chinagrl

Ha ha... nah, they expressively forbid alcohol!!!

But thanks for the kind words... they really do make me feel better. You all are so nice.

#40213 - 01/23/04 06:45 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Did the cotton swab hurt? That just sounds tortuous to me. What are your IBS symptoms? I know the GERD causes heartburn, pain, and trouble swallowing which certainly is enough. What other symptoms causes you to have trouble eating?

#40219 - 01/23/04 06:52 PM
chinagrl

It didn't hurt, because she'd already shot the numbing stuff up my nose with a syringe. That hurt though!!! It stung really badly. The swab just felt very, very odd and uncomfortable.

For IBS I have constipation and diarrhea, a lot of bloating and a lot of gas.

Between the IBS and the GERD if I don't have medicine, and a lot of it, I just spend all the time feeling nauseous. Sometimes I feel hungry inside, but the smell of food or the taste of it makes me sick.

The worst problem with the GERD is the terrible back and chest pain. I used to worry I was having a heart attack cause I get that tingling in the arms they talk about.

#40221 - 01/23/04 06:56 PM
joanmarie

What do you take for the nausea? I have a similar problem in that my appetite doesn't kick in till the evening. But if I go all day without eating much I end up feeling shaky and light headed. When the nausea is really bad I take compezine, but you can't take that everyday.

#40225 - 01/23/04 07:03 PM
chinagrl

I don't take anything for it, sadly. I just deal with it. Normally I don't actually throw up, and if I need to I just duck out of class or work into the bathroom and then resume life.

#40227 - 01/23/04 07:08 PM
joanmarie

Duck out of class? It must be hard sitting through class when you feel that way. They haven't come up with anything to help you? Do you take anything for the diarrhea? The GI was talking to me about some bile salts or something like that he has found effective for diarrhea. We'll see.

#40230 - 01/23/04 07:12 PM
chinagrl

Actually, I'm just used to it. I love school so much that I try to get involved in the conversation and ignore it. I'm a pretty big geek so I usually can. The worst is when I have class across lunch time (I did last semester and this semester too). I really need to sit down and eat a good lunch or I get super super bloated! That's the part where my zippers start undoing themselves. Which is embarrassing in classes. Especially the ones I'm teaching!

My doctor told me that the diarrhea comes from the constipation, my body flushes a lot of water down to try and clear it out and then it causes the reverse problem. I also have trigger foods for that, so I avoid them.

I've been waiting to take fiber again until after the GERD testing is done. I'm a little nervous about it.

#40232 - 01/23/04 07:13 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I hope the rest of your night goes smoothly for you. How awful.

I'll think about you during the night. I don't think I'll be sleeping very well either - my first head cold of the winter. Rather have a head cold than a tube down my throat.

I recently read under Mayo.com about a new procedure for GERD's. I'll check for the article for you. I believe the difference between GERD's and acid reflux is acid reflux occurs occasionally. GERD's is a medical condition that can lead to Barrett's Esophagus.

Take care

#40233 - 01/23/04 07:15 PM
chinagrl

Quote:

I believe the difference between GERD's and acid reflux is acid reflux occurs occasionally. GERD's is a medical condition that can lead to Barrett's Esophagus.

Thanks Barbara! I was thinking that this was what it was, but I wasn't sure. So I thought I'd be safe and wait for someone who knew what they were talking about.

I'm sorry about your head cold, that's no fun either. Colds and the flu always aggravate my stomach fiercely. I'm not sure that's much better!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 368 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review